It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

www dot pacifier dot com?

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I recently read through a thread that was derailed into is Al-Qaeda a neocon bogeyman brainchild or factual terrorist organisation.

What I believe it was supposed to be concerned with was the wealth of opinions that are gladly offered in comparison to the amount of people who actually attempt to involve themselves in any particular cause.

Extending that idea to this virtual world we can see appreciation is shown to those who actually go out of their way to achieve something rather than sit postulating such as the interseting [and very relevant in certain threads] reality of such as Al-Qaeda.

The argument was for getting involved, taking an active role in seeking out information rather than just offering personal opinions. The author of the thread I believe had a valid point, look at the impact that Al-Qaeda [bogeyman or no] has had worldwide. Their place in history is determined and will not be a footnote. Yet, and I think the initial post [in the thread in question] was trying to demonstrate this, their place in history does not seem in proportion with their physical numbers [arguments as to their use of tactics aside].

So let's leave the realm of Al-Qaeda herbal shampoo adverts [is she or isn't she?] aside for a second and use them as an example, consider the why's and wherefore's of their impact compared to numbers.

Is there a lack of real passion about in the West? Is apathy winning the day? Perhaps with the help of online forums where people can go and express themselves so freely, so forcefully and believe they have done enough to make their point without having to actually put much effort in or having any effect in the real world.

Is this a conspiracy? If people are satisfied with that isn't that far better than having them parade about the streets and actually physically get together? [Could those involved in derailing the thread I referred to, or any thread, be doing so on purpose to avoid this exact thing?]

Or is this just a by-product of the interenet? Is it just happy co-incidence that this [relatively] new technology might, although undeniably being a great medium for the spreading of ideas, be a pacifier as concerns real world action? Like a child who gleams a sense of achievement from the fantasy world of computer games after sitting in a chair for 2 hours, does the internet give a false sense of satisfaction that we have played our political ideals out, helped the world as we see it and done 'our bit'

Am I contributing to this lack of action by posing the question and trying to get people involved here?

Jak

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
Or is this just a by-product of the interenet? Is it just happy co-incidence that this [relatively] new technology might, although undeniably being a great medium for the spreading of ideas, be a pacifier as concerns real world action? Like a child who gleams a sense of achievement from the fantasy world of computer games after sitting in a chair for 2 hours, does the internet give a false sense of satisfaction that we have played our political ideals out, helped the world as we see it and done 'our bit'

Am I contributing to this lack of action by posing the question and trying to get people involved here?

Jak

I would say the internet provides an outlet for political angst, that otherwise might come to a boiling point involving...many deaths.

For me it provides direct access to my senators, congressman, assemblyman, and governor, even the department of motor vehicles. So instead of raging on the
$6.00 an hour clerk, I can write, edit, re-edit a powerful message to the people who actually have the position to change things.

Forums such as this help me to answer the question "What the hell is wrong with people?" with the response "its not all people, just the idiots". If I just watched TV or read the papers, it would appear that this whole world is just full of walking talking anal passages. But the internet lets me see there are thinking, feeling, and active people sometimes moving to make a difference.

Making a big difference is really not in the hands of most of us.
I would say the majority of internet users aren't very wealthy, maybe a month or two of unemployment away from no internet, no home, no food. Sure if they gave up the net
for a year or two they would have a few thousand bucks to spend on...rising gas prices or something.
But not enough to make a great socio-political wave roll over the masses.

What can we do physically? Marching in protest on the streets has had absolutely no effect on the government circus, they think its some training camp for their rooftop snipers and intellegence photographers. The media will always pick out the craziest guy in the crowd for a statement.

Can we raise arms? No, that is now labeled "terrorism" under the Patriot Act, with a punishment of unlimited incarceration without a jury trial or seeing a judge, or defense council.
So much for a show of force.

For many action is limited to the fact that those who wish for action have mothers, fathers, wives, husbands and children to worry about. They can not sacrifice the safety of others for the cause they believe in, because they simply can't say "i'm going about my selfless cause, by being a selfish ass"

The options for changing the course of human self destruction are becoming as limited
as a cancer patients options for treatment.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Wow, that was a great post JAK, if I still could I would vote for you, with my remaining vote for the month.

I'm sorry but I cant make really long posts like you two, I just wanted to say good job.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I can understand your point here JAK.

Included amongst all the information that this super-highway gives us access too is a huge range of political ideals. Taking on board these ideals, as with taking an interest/reading any political material, should lead most to desire to vocalise their opinion more. At least that's my feeling. I do think that the vocalisation of political opinion on messageboards/forums being a conduit to let out those views rather than the joining of any local political group and persuing such ideal actively it is just a by product, though perhaps a very fortunate one agreed.

Suggesting that 'Marching in protest on the streets has had absolutely no effect is not a valid point though. I am sure there are many, many people who would only look at the 1990 Poll-Tax demonstrations to dismiss that idea. Amongst other acts of civil disobediance I think that more were determined to stand their ground once they saw the massive groundswell of people who made the journey to London and elsewhere that day. It was the mobilisation of those disaffected which made that difference. Which played it's part in leaving Margret Thatcher no other option than to step down.

I don't believe that the effects of an online petition would have achieved an impact comparable in any way at all.

So while I think that there is a need for people to get actively involved in RL, I take the ideas of any conspiracy to encourage public apathy in the face of increased political exposure as wrong. As you said

just happy co-incidence

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Cheeeeesus Christ! I have read that three times. It is like some kind of maze that keeps folding back on itself. I feel like I am in a blender full of words.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Jak great post sooo true. I dont feel like im a blender but still a nice cocktail of ideas!

On this point as a Mod maybe you can answer something then. If we make a post or create a thread on a subject of importance are ats members allowed to add a link or a suggestion into how we can lead others who share our same views to make an impact in the real world?

Elf

top topics

join