It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugspray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
So maybe this isn't for ATS, but it does apply to Fragile Earth.
From my other posts, some of you may know I work for an ecology center.

We did a program for 80 kids today. The group leaders were informed of what we were doing today and what not to do - on that list was to use bugspray.

Half of them came into the nature center and sat down, so we asked where the others were...

"Oh, they're out putting on bug spray."

UNBELIEVABLE....

unbeFINGlievable.

First of all...do you even know what you're putting on?
Are you aware that bug spray doesn't know the difference between a bug that bites you and a butterfly?
Are you aware that if you pick up an amphibian (frog, salamander, toad, etc.) with bug spray on you KILL IT?
Are you aware that DEET can have sever effects on young children's skin, nails, and hair, BONE DENSITY and human sexyal fertility?

Think about it, bug spray is meant to break down bugs...bugs are covered with an exoskeleton made of protein, chitin, calcium, etc.
Our skin, hair, nails and bones contain calcium and other proteins.

SO...bug spray to break down that stuff on bugs...bug spray to break down that stuff on US.

PLUS. today was a windy day...mosquitos don't fly when it's windy.
PLUS. today in the woods was cool...mosquitos won't bother you when it's cooler out.

As my boss says, it's a trade off....kids with bug spray have a choice:
They can either touch animals, and get a few bites,
Or they can sit there, poisoning themselves and everything else...

You choose...
Ain't nothing wrong with a few bites.

And I PROMISE... you won't get encephalitis, Avian Flu, AIDS, lung cancer, malaria, chicken pox, mono, ateriosclerosis, or a broken ankle from a few bites.

You WILL however, KILL butterflies, bees, lady bugs, cute caterpillars, spiders, frogs, toads, salamanders, dragonflies, and lightening bugs if you wear bug spray...
(Just something to think about the next time you reach for the DEET)

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
just have to ad west nile virus, which you can get.

i try not to use bug spray, but the mosquitoes out here are incredible. almost impossible to walk around late. bah.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
For clarification:
The reasone we told them not to put any bug spray on was specifically because I knew the children would be handling amphibians as part of the talk.
This is what really irked me due to the extreme susceptibilty that salimanders and frogs/toads have. Especially when in planning notification was given out to those who were supposed to be in charge. This basically threw a half hour of the presentation with the snotty nosed rich brats to hell. Rather than the frogs that usually gets their attention and quiets them down. I had to sit around a 90 degree room with 80 kids running, screaming yelling in 95% humidity.

We Deny Ignorance but
Can we just deny the ignorant certain rights?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
carlwfbird - You are so correct in what you say.

We (the human race) seem to be developing this ridiculous phobia about nature. I live in Britain, where the most dangerous insect is the bumble bee, and we have become obsessed with Fly spray, ant killer, insect repellents etc... It’s crazy...

We have to re-learn how to live with nature... something that has gradually been eroded as we all swarm to the city’s.

[edit on 2-7-2005 by undercoverchef]

new topics

top topics

join