It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Valkyrie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Think it could ever come back? It was a quite valid foray into High Speed flight at high altitudes, but...well, what do ya think?

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Nope. The B-1B took its place. It was a beautiful bird but I don't see it ever coming back again.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It was a great concept, one that could have gone places...if it didn't die so fast.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
No, it was not stealthy it was fast but not stealthy, we already have stealth bombers and probably hypersonic ones so I don't see a need for the Valkyrie. It was one of the most futuristic planes of its time though.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtomicGarden
Think it could ever come back?

- Naa, much as I myself think it was an amazing piece of kit ahead of its time, that time has definetly come and gone.

It's late 1950's - early 1960's tech, 40 - 50yrs ago/old now (wow, eh?!).

There's no way anyone would just re-do what they did back then, they'd want to put all that has been learned since into it = a total redesign, new materials, engines, computer flight controls etc etc.

Basically a brand new plane (which by the time they'd finished would probably have very little recognisable XB70 left in it).

Just be glad they were never needed and didn't really 'happen'; there's atmospheric research that says large fleets of high speed high altitude aircraft is something the earth could really do without.

new topics

top topics

join