It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American slowly commiting suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Stupidity of people towards the environment never ceases to amaze me. So I'm right out of college and for the summer I'm working at an environmental center.

THIS is what our pond looks like.
www.catskillcenter.org...

THIS is what is should look like.
www.onestoploganlake.com...

Wow. What an awful site. The pond and stream running through the Nature Center property is in terribly awful shape.
At first glance, it looks like Willy Wonka, and the Chocolate Factory's

The cause?
Any educated moron could tell you...
They're building houses upstream...
They clear cut the side of a hill...
It just rained yesterday...

All clues point to ERROSION.

Of course, if you're a contractor, you SWEAR that what you do upsteam has absolutely NO effect on what's going on downstream.
Only a contractor could be so clueless, inept, and in denial of their actions.

...NEWSFLASH.....

If you cut down a bunch of trees on a hill and it RAINS, the soil ERRODES into whatever is down the the hill: be it a stream, pond, parking lot, house, ice cream stand...

CLEARLY, these signs point to cause and effect.
Clearly, contractors haven't learned a goddam thing about building a house in this kind of environment.

Go ahead, build your house.
But build it SMART, efficient, small, and have as little effect to the environment as possible.

If only contractors would get the #ing picture...
(sigh)
To quote John Stuart:
"Ahhhhh American, slowly committing suicide."

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Okay!

Let's look at the glass from the other side... the errosion of the soil into the local waters has added nutrients and (obviously clay) particulate matter that will settle downstream so that waterborn plants and other aquaria can use them for growth and development!

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Is this by any chance in NY? If so the development laws are ususally pretty strict about stuff like this. There is often an erosion plan incuded in the site plan approval for the remedial actions that must be in place to prevent this type of thing happening. Then a stop work order could be issued till the builder fixes the problem to prevent further incidents as the rains come. Turbidity at this level is not good and the proper authorities should be notified to force compliance with a proper erosion plan.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
That is awful, people just dont care enough about what there actions do to the enviroment.

If I make a suggesstion, change the title of the thread to "America slowly commiting suicide" rather athan what it is "American slowly commiting suicide" when I saw this thread on the 60 second bar, I thought it was about a person commiting suicide.

Also to edit the God d*m out of the post.

new topics

top topics

join