It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is All The Antimatter ?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is one of the great unanswered questions of astrophysics. Was there an asymmetry in the Big Bang that favored matter over antimatter? Or is the star next door adsabs.harvard.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink">made from antihydrogen?

I do not see evidence of anihilation reactions in interstellar space, so I think the paper cited above is in error.

But I think I may have an answer to my title question.

If we look at two different familiar processes- the dynamics of black holes, and the practical production of antimatter at large particle accelerators- two facts become immediately apparent:

1. Strong electrical and magnetic fields are used to seperate matter from antimatter at accelerators by taking advantage of the differing reactions of matter and antimatter to applied electric and magnetic fields;
  2. Black holes are particle accelerators that generate tremendous electrically-charged magnetospheres that spew polar jets of gas- in opposite directions.

Thinking fractally, it is apparent that running the Universe backwards in time results in a trmendous black hole. So the dynamics of the primordial explosion- or thinking bigger, the primal polar jet(s)- should exhibit the electrical and magnetic properties of black hole magnetospheres.

Which would automatically sort antihydrogen in one direction- into one magnetically collimated 'antimatter' polar jet- an expanding antimatter universe-

And hydrogen into yet another, seperate 'matter' jet. Which is our 'Universe'.

All created by the natural operation of the electromagnetic force and gravity- with no need for metaphysical 'inflation' or magical 'hidden dimensions'.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
There's a relatively unknown solution that remains relatively unknown because not much is known about it at all. It's called the CP Violation, short for Charge-Parity.

E=mc^2. When you make mass from energy, you make a particle and its respective anti-particle. They then proceed to immediately anihilate and you've got energy again. Kind of pointless.

The CP Violation states that this is slightly off. For every particle made, slightly less antiparticle is made, in the ratio of roughly 1,000,000,001:1,000,000,000. The Babar experiment was done on this topic. (although the link, I'm afraid, won't tell you anything)

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Exactly where I'm going, Amory. And if the conditions of creation are governed by strong, bipolar electric and magnetic fields, then a sorting of the particles and antiparticles would take place. With CP parity violation, this would explain the relative lack of known antiparticles in our part of the Universe.

Particles and antiparticles do not immediately anihilate if seperated electromagnetically, as is done at CERN and elsewhere.

There is a lot of money at stake with all this theorizing. Companies forming right now to 'mine' comets for their antimatter content. are citing the study above that claims neighboring stellar systems may be made of antimatter- to raise funding.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Exactly where I'm going, Amory. And if the conditions of creation are governed by strong, bipolar electric and magnetic fields, then a sorting of the particles and antiparticles would take place. With CP parity violation, this would explain the relative lack of known antiparticles in our part of the Universe.

Particles and antiparticles do not immediately anihilate if seperated electromagnetically, as is done at CERN and elsewhere.

There is a lot of money at stake with all this theorizing. Companies forming right now to 'mine' comets for their antimatter content. are citing the study above that claims neighboring stellar systems may be made of antimatter- to raise funding.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by Chakotay]

What about some yet unknown element that would not be radioactive like uranium such as hydrogen yet provide many many times more energy output than was input in a type of fusion reaction using electromagnetic fields which would also contain the reaction and allow for easy transport of the excess energy into our exisiting electrical grids? Ceramics come to mind in pondering this when the question of grounding things out arises.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
my understanding of physics/ quantum mechanics rivals that of a 2week old baby, but how could a magnetic field contain antimatter? Doesn't a magnetic field consist of positive and negatively charged ions? And don't radiation & other extremely high energy particles pass through this magnetic field regardless of it's polarity, thusly colliding with antimatter resulting in it's annihilation? (hope that made sense)

I don't know much about antimatter, but it seems to me that our current physics & quantum mechanics don't allow for such an 'element'. Our entire world is based on matter. If antimatter existed, even in small quantities, wouldn't we by now have seen at least SOME evidence of matter that has mysteriously disappeaed into thin air with no possible explanation where it went? (due to it colliding with anti-matter & ceasing to exist).

Again, I know jack all about physics or quantum mechanics, I'm just trying to rationalise how anti-matter could exist and how it could be stored / contained.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sorry to take the seriousness off this topic but evertime I hear the word anti-matter I get a little chuckle. I always think that someday we are going to have product lable warnings:

Warning! This product is 100% matter. Should this product come into contact with anti-matter no garauntee is made that a catastrophic explosion will not occur. All waranty's, either expressed or implyed, will be void should a matter/anti-matter interaction occur.

Sorry Chakotay, I know you were looking for serious debate, but that's all I had.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjOsiris
What about some yet unknown element that would not be radioactive like uranium such as hydrogen yet provide many many times more energy output than was input in a type of fusion reaction using electromagnetic fields which would also contain the reaction and allow for easy transport of the excess energy into our exisiting electrical grids? Ceramics come to mind in pondering this when the question of grounding things out arises.

Excellent idea, DJ. I don't think I've mentioned one method that is being used for Penning Traps for fusion:

The new cold fusion experiment went something like this: scientists inserted a small pyroelectric crystal (lithium tantalite) inside a chamber filled with hydrogen.

Lithium crystals. Sounds like Gene Roddenberry was a Time Traveler, no?

top topics

join