It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Religions Linked, Naked God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's been some time since I've been to ATS but I believe I have something solid that can add a little fact to the mysticism of religions. I know some of this information is years old but the topic is very much alive today.

Here are the basics, when you pray meditate or what ever your particular faith/non-faith calls it your brain does the same thing. The parts of your brain that control your sense of self, how you perceive yourself in space and time basically shut down or goto sleep. Than there are bursts of neural activity in your frontal lobes. Weather you're a zen master in the depths of Dharma or a nun having Jesus guide your hand to your chosen path while deep in prayer your brain is doing the same thing.

I have also found that what ever belief you go in with with dictate the type of experience you have. If you believe in the universe and the fabric of time and space connecting all things to a central energy you will have an experience that goes along those lines etc.

As far as what this all means.. No idea, but it seems that our brains are designed to do this like something that is genetically encoded. It does explain a whole lot though as far as how 2 people can have the same conviction of truth about their particular views when those views are vastly contradictory of each other.

I'm looking for input on this subject, although I have done a bit of homework I'm sure there are better researchers than I on ATS. Could those bursts of neural activity in the frontal lobes actually create a field connected to something, are these just meaningless hallucinations to pacify people into not looking further for the answers?

Thanks for reading my little tidbit I know I over simplified some of it as not to confuse people or get to technical, here are some links to the facts behind my research. (there are hundreds more of you look for the topic)

www.templeton.org...

www.pbs.org...

www.bumc.bu.edu...

[edit on 1-7-2005 by J0HNSmith]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think it is true, that whatever people BELIEVE it is true for them. They will SEE the proof of their beliefs all around them in validation. This is why I think so many people claim they KNOW THE TRUTH. What you believe for yourself may not be true for what another person believes for themselves.
Thought often dictates action.
Thought often manifests into your reality.
You see all over, the proof of your own belief structure.

If MORE people understood this precept, tolerance would be more prevelent IMO.

Interesting subject John, I will look forword to other replys!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Very interesting point, I have to agree that religion is a believe of faith, people need to identify themselves with something not of this world.

Faith is a great tool for many to find that identity.

join