It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organization of the Islamic Conference wants permanent UNSC seat for muslims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

SANAA, June 28: Foreign ministers of the Organization of the Islamic Conference opened a meeting here on Tuesday with a call for a Muslim permanent seat on the UN Security Council.

OIC Secretary-General Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu urged a greater role for Muslim countries in world affairs and demanded a ‘permanent representation for the Islamic world on the UN Security Council’.

“The Islamic world, which represents one-fifth of total mankind, cannot remain excluded from the activities of the Security Council which assumes a fundamental role in keeping security and peace in the world,” he said.

Read full article....

*shakes head* IMO this is nothing but idiocy. A permanent seat for the Islamic world is an insane proposal to say the least. I guess some muslim organisations dont know when to draw the line in demands. The way i see it for a large part of the islamic world relegion weighs heavier than nationality and all muslims feel they belong to the same madrassic ummah and consider nationality to be insignificant.

The way i see it most of them will defend islam rather than defend their country.

Such a move will seriously endanger the secular philosophy of the UN. If this is sanctioned then every relegion will demand a permanent seat and the world must be divided on basis of relegion.

Considering the fact that 95% of all terror is islamic in nature, can you imagine the fate of the world if something like this is approved..God forbid.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
how many seats do they want? just a seat for a Muslim country and which country would that be? i wouldnt be surprise people especially Muslims gonna be fighting over who gets to represent the billion people. would it be Saudi Arabia? Egypt? Pakistan? Iraq? Kuwait?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Just found this :

Proposal for an islamic free trade zone

The Organization of Islamic Conference, or OIC, is planning to establish a free trade zone for the benefit of its poorer members.

Also : the Organization of Islamic Conference official website : www.oic-oci.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
how many seats do they want? just a seat for a Muslim country and which country would that be? i wouldnt be surprise people especially Muslims gonna be fighting over who gets to represent the billion people. would it be Saudi Arabia? Egypt? Pakistan? Iraq? Kuwait?

The demand is for one permanent seat. I presume that it would give them a veto power too. The seat will be held by the OIC(Organization of the Islamic Conference), and not any of the individual Islamic nations.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
They want a seat on the UNSC representing a religion? If that is the case, then all religions should get a seat. We will then see how long it will take to get resoluitions passed.

new topics

join