It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Of The Worlds [spoiler kind of]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Just saw War Of The Worlds last night. I thought is was ok. Story follows Tom Cruise trying to get his daughter and son to safety during an alien attack. Special effects are GREAT, btw. Then [spoiler alert] just as all seems lost the aliens die from earth bacteria. To those who know the story it's no big suprise. That's pretty much the movie.

My problem is if the aliens are that advanced, wouldn't they already know about the dangers bacteria and microscopic organisms?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well in the original it was Water and Rain that got them, kinda nice to see them update it for the 21st Century hehe, I cannot wait to see this movie, gonna see it on the Weekend sometime

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You ruined it.

Next you'll tell me Titanic sinks.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
My problem is if the aliens are that advanced, wouldn't they already know about the dangers bacteria and microscopic organisms?

Clearly the aliens accepted ignorance.....

I mean - Honestly....Even though it seems obvious to us...Even though they studied us for millions of years, it doesn't mean they knew that on our planet we hosted deadly organisms that could kill us as easily as it killed them....

I have to admit that I did not read the book - I like to spoil things first and THEN read the book....
....But were there any references in the book made to pre-invasion experiments that involved them coming down to the planet?...consuming "our precious bodily fluids," to borrow a quote from another of my favorite movies....

Pure ignorance as I see it.....

Superb movie too....Some people I hear where upset with the ending....I really don't get it....I mean - Come on folks - This wasn't some independent film made in Europe.....

I mean.....If that were the case, then Mr Cruise would have died from the first "lightning strike", the little girl would have developed some "I loathe life" attitude and the boy would have gone to war and died in his first combat situation - The world would have blown up and that's the end....

It's Hollywood....Spielberg for that matter!! Everyone pivotal to the storyline lives - The weak characters get hacked and there's a happy ending....

What did everyone expect?!

Class A Hollywood stuff though - I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense, action and CG.....

Save the high expectations for truly emotional and thought-provoking movies for the studios you've never heard of....

[edit on 7/1/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
awsome movie. i was shocked with the aliens they didnt look anything like the ones from the old movie. they were cool though. it was pretty loud at points.
it was pretty cool how tom took the gernades up with him in and blew it up. there was someone behind me thats like " speilberg made the military look stupid in this. didnt the army notice the birds?" and i was thinking. " after you threw everything you had except the nukes at it theres really only one thing you can do and that is protect the people." cool movie all in all. kinda weird how they came down in the lightning. also kinda weird how the lazers they used like turneed the people into ash

[edit on 2-7-2005 by hitman132436]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I'm sorry, the ending almost managed to ruin the movie for me... That was just ridiculous. The audience actually groaned.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The whole movie ruined the whole movie for me. Awful. Absolutely awful. From about 30 minutes in, I was rooting for the Martians to kill them all just so it would be over--especially Dakota Fanning (shut the F up!) and the bratty son. When he wanted to go fight the 300 foot tall, flaming alien robots with his bare fists, I was all for it. All of the characters were drawn as unintelligent, annoying, and selfish. They all deserved to be zapped to bits. The homicidal, blood-sucking aliens were more likable.

And who invited Tim Robbin's character from Mystic River into this film? And why was half the movie set in one basement or another?

The special effects were pretty good--but there were times when even that was ridiculous. In other mindnumbingly dumb blockbuster movies like The Day After Tomorrow, at least if you watched it with the sound off, the effects were stunning, however there were scenes in WOTW where they were just laughable. Massive explosions that Tom Cruise miraculously survives--by running away like he was the Roadrunner. C'mon. Water funnels that somehow don't impact a ship a few feet away. Wreckage where you could see the walls of the soundstage. The actors weren't even looking in the right direction during some of the CGI sequences. It was lazy filmmaking--which would be expected from a disposible summer action film, but not the MOST EXPENSIVE FILM EVER MADE and certainly not Spielberg. I loved Minority Report, and Close Encounters was a masterpiece. This was just a flaming pile of crap.

The thing that pissed me off the most was in the beginning of the movie, after the lightening storm triggered an EMP and disabled everything electrical--why did some people have working video and digital cameras to photograph the robot coming out of the ground? And what kind of idiots would just stand there and watch while the ground is breaking up under their feet and alien machine as tall as a building is shooting a matter-disintegrating ray at them?? I'll bet they were related to the morons in Amityville who stayed when their house was telling them to get out.

I didn't really expect Academy Award winning filmmaking here, but I also didn't expect something on par with Deep Impact. The only thing that would have saved this film is if Spielberg would have replaced the tripod aliens with images of Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's sofa. Maybe then I wouldn't want my $10.75 back.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
LOL I didn't even think about that Camera, it could perhaps be a camera that didn't work on batteries OR he could have stored it in an EMP shielded safe?

I thought the special effects were awesome, I was disapointed that they watched so little TV reports and Radio reports, I was also disapointed that there were so little scenes with the Army trying to fight them.

This movie made me want more...an extended version to fill in some of the blanks would be nice...

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
You ruined it.

Next you'll tell me Titanic sinks.

Hahahahahahahaha-kerplunk.

The best thing about WOTW is the King Kong trailer.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
Massive explosions that Tom Cruise miraculously survives--by running away like he was the Roadrunner. C'mon.

HahA! One lucky man, I guess. It's like the guy had a frikkin forcefield around him or sumthin. Only thing that would have been better would be the occasional lightning zap on the rear sending Tom a couple feet in the air zig-zagging across the screen like an old Benny Hill skit.

[edit on 7/3/2005 by DiabolusFireDragon]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiabolusFireDragon
Just saw War Of The Worlds last night. I thought is was ok. Story follows Tom Cruise trying to get his daughter and son to safety during an alien attack. Special effects are GREAT, btw. Then [spoiler alert] just as all seems lost the aliens die from earth bacteria. To those who know the story it's no big suprise. That's pretty much the movie.

My 12 year old just saw it and he told me an interesting part, so I'm going by what he said. He told me when the people got zapped that their clothes were left behind. The reason I find this interesting is because that is also in some of the recent rapture movies like Left Behind. There is also another topic on Ats/Bts where someone brought up the point that aliens could be blamed/take credit for the rapture of the church. I find it interesting that this small thing(clothes being left behind) has made it into a movie that will probably be seen by billions of people and influence what thw world thinks.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I seen it on the first day and i was surprised that some of the story was similar to "The White Mountains" by John Christopher, which i read when i was much younger(I read War of the Worlds too). The story is about these tall tripods machines controlled by aliens, who invaded earth and put mind-control caps on human heads when they turn adult, thus making human a slave race. These tripods, however, do not have cages to hold captives for food, nor powerful weapons. They still have the long arms to grap people and create chaos. They can put humans into their main body too. The main character in this story Will, like tom cruise, destroyed a tripod by throwing in a grenade when it tries to pull it inside the machine.

Anyway this is a very good movie, though i like AI more.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
i just saw war of the worlds today in theaters. I agree, the special effects were awesome and seeing it on the big screen just capitalized on that even more, especially with the booming surround sound that nearly jolted me out of my seat. I was actually suprised to see Tim Robbins make an appearance in it, and even more suprised when Tom Cruise killed him, lol. All in all, I give War of the Worlds two thumbs up, an excellent thriller and Sci-Fi/Special Effects lovers have got to see it. I wouldnt be suprised if this movie gets an award or something....

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I thought "War Of The Worlds" was great! It scared the crap out of me. Of course that might have something to do with the fact that I've seen dozens of UFOs and have frequent nightmares about alien invasion.

I do agree with some of the complaints others brought up though. I was hoping the aliens would zap the two bratty kids too. Also I questioned the behavior of the aliens. For a species who saw us only as insects, they sure looked and acted the part themselves. And yeah, the Army did appear a tad clueless. People have always known that animals have instincts that modern humans lack.

Speaking of animals I couldn't help but think, all those terrified captured people waiting to be eaten, were getting a taste of their own medicine. That's exactly how our animals must feel!

For all of you disappointed by the ending, obviously you never read the book or even seen the earlier movie. Although the characters and technology were made contemporary for this version, they couldn't deviate from the original story line and give it the same title.

Overall, I loved it and give it my highest rating. Those of you so critical must realize, movies are never perfect and can't be held up to the standards of books.

[edit on 7/16/2005 by dollmonster]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My only complaint was the person sitting next to me....

I swear to God she was a molded-fit of those people they must do market research on to figure out where to put all the "oohhs" and the "aaahss" at in a movie to keep the simple-minded entertained....

The whole movie I'm hearing - "Oh no - Run Tom! Run!" ...... "AAAAHHHHHH!" ..... "Hold me closer Timmy, I'm scared" ....."He's a bad man Tom, don't trust him!" .... "Where's my box of tissues?"

No inner-monologue whatsoever.....

[edit on 7/16/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I thought the movie was great. It scared the crap out of me. Very few movies scares me. It gave me a nightmare too.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I just saw it tonight..

Great effects, suspense.
I mentioned that video camera scene to my wife.. Musta been a Hardened Sony.

I would like to have seen more about the aliens. How they planned the attack, their anatomy.

Enron,
this drunk guy came in 5 minutes after the movie started, sat in front of us, then fell asleep. About every 20 minutes he would wake up,
turn around, and mumble something about fried chicken to us..LOL

posted on Jul, 19 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I thought the movie was a PIECE-O-CRAP. It was too stupid in many areas, and also I hated that they didn't show the military fighting the aliens. All you see is a bunch of tanks and vehicles go over ah ill and then you see a big explosion. What do I care about that.

At least Independence Day showed actual fighting between the fighter craft and the aliens. And the aliens themselves were stupid. In Independence Day, the aliens also wore a "bio-mehanical" suit, at least. What idiot just comes down and starts drinking the water on a foreign planet?

This movie really disappointed me.

top topics

join