It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can one learn to control their own dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Afew years ago I read a magazine about the ability to control your dreams. The article suggested that any person could learn to control thier own dreams. In early stages of practice, people would only be able to 'direct' the dream (meaning they could only deside bits of the dream), but in later stages they would be able to create thier own little world inside the dream (be able to fly, walk on water, being superheroes etc.) almost like a virtual-reality game.
Does anyone have some comments on that, or even better... how do one get this ability?
In advace, Thanx!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Yes you can and I used to.
Just before you sleep you have to know the second before your body falls asleep and keep you mind awake and you can "dream" anything you want. Or if in a dream realize your in one and know there is no limitation and....FLY.
Or do some breathing and mind clearing excercise that puts your body to sleep (hypnotising yourself) which makes you half-awake half-asleep and you can control visions. But watch out for out of body experiences because they can get kind of weird but you can go anywhere on the planet that way and "SEE" it!! Fly through the world in real time.

Dream control is hard to get used to at first but it is fun...and sometimes weird.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
takes practice of some sort but it can be done and I was able to do it a few years back but it became annoying after a while. there was a site called whitehorsedreams or something that I looked at a while back and that told you how to do it.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yes, this is a real ability, sometimes called lucid dreaming, there are a number of techniques that one can use to do this

May your efforts in discovery of possibilities be blessed!

Swami Vajra

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even though this one is older, I'd posted on the newer. Sorry to C&P but same answer applies:

I wouldn't recommend it.

It works at first. Perhaps a little while, but can turn ugly. The best you can do is get you're 'awake' thinking in-line so that when you dream, you make the right move and learn from the experience.

Pray, train, study,
God bless.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Thank you all for the comments on this subject. I hope one day I'll be able to control my dreams

If anyone have more information 'step by step' to learn this I would be very happy

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Does anyone have some comments on that, or even better... how do one get this ability?

Absolutely. I used it to combat nightmares I had as a kid...(damn water zombies)...

Anyhoo, for me, the trick was to go back to sleep right after waking up from such a dream, but concentrating on the fact that this time it'll be different. I'd re-enter the dream, but this time, with a bit of knowledge I could make minor changes. It started out small... So, I'm back in the dream, zombies coming, etc. but now....I've got a chainsaw..
Eventually, I made bigger and bigger changes....until I got a greater degree of control. It was just practice really.

Controlled dreams from the get go though, aren't nearly as fun. I'd recommend starting with those you wake up from first, in those moments where you aren't really fully awake. Easier that way.

The thing about programming dreams from the get go, is that the people populating the dream don't have near as much personality, nor are there many surprises, like your subconscious mind likes to throw in. So personally, I don't use it to often, only to get rid of a bad dream and give it a better ending.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Chris_dk,

This is the of the least 'hidden' of all the 'occult' arts, you can find books on it in any library or book store.

Various techniques are well described and you should look at them all and find which work for you. What you are seeking is a powerful thing, to live a part of your life exactly as you wish it to be, and so it takes some effort to gain.

Some simple advice. Control what you think as you go to sleep, think about the sort of Dreams you wish to have. When you wake each, and every, day, write down something about the Dream you just had.

Doing just those 2 things for a period of months will lead to clearer and more pleasant Dreams.

Here comes the tricky part. Just like in life your rational mind is not in total control. Part of your Dreams will always be influenced by who you are as a person. So no matter how much we wish to have an internal HoloDeck to live out our fantasy life, what we need to learn about ourselves will intrude.

Do you still fear a thing? Then that thing might manifest in your Dreams.

So along the way to full power Lucid Dreaming I suggest you study yourself a bit, work out your problems, find your center, be happy, really happy.

A.T
(-)

[edit on 7/1/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
if anyone has, maybe a website that explains this, please post it, i want to try this.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well, I for one don't have to do anything special to be able to do lucid dreaming.

I fall asleep, start dreaming of something, think to myself "ah man this # is booring" and just recraft the dream to whatever I wana do.

Most of the time I'll go superman all over the place playing around the world or just ** the brains out of this smoking hot girl I saw the other day.

Sometimes I just say before I fall asleep, "I wana dream of this or that" and that'll be my entry point into the dream realm, right where I wanted to be.

I do have to say though that it has become imposible for me to just dream a spontanious dream anymore.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Be more interesting to remove them entirely.

Can you suggest to yourself not to dream?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Referance books to learn about controlling dreams......LUCID DREAMING~

THE ART OF DREAMING by Carlos Castanada

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Although........i dont think it would be a good idea to "control" them all the time.

Dreams are your mind sorting out all the info from the day, managing it, filing it, filtering out the crap etc.

if you change the way it does that, you may have poor sleep, feel tired the next day, or pehaps your personality would change over time due to your mind sorting info unnaturally to what it used to.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I don't recall doing anything special to start lucid dreaming. I do remember realizing that I was dreaming while asleep. I gained absolute total control in at least one dream. I actually got bored in that dream and seemed stuck. The level of lucidity did seem to naturally progress over time.

Nowadays I don't necessarily control my dreams but they are all messed up. I seem to have natural superpowers in some dreams because I'm flying around like I'm the star of the Matrix or something except a bit more powerful. I don't feel in control of these dreams because I'm just going with the flow but I often have superpowers in the dreams. I never really thought this was unusual except that I can't do that in real life. One really cool trick I like in my dreams and have done a few times is go into a bar or public area and demonstrate a hydrogen bomb explosion in the palm of my hand at greatly reduced light levels (wouldn't be fun if everyone went blind). Watching a nuclear explosion, mushroom cloud and a tiny little shock wave all only a few inches tall in the palm of my hand seems like a neat parlor trick.

Superpowers in my dreams don't seem nearly as strange as dreaming about observing strange alien worlds and other places where even the sky and light seem different than here on Earth.

Good luck in your adventures.

top topics

join