It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libertarian exit strategy for Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The National Libertarian Party has published a document outlining their exit strategy for Iraq and I have to say that I agree with it.

Iraq Exit Strategy: America's Path Forward (pdf)

Iraq Exit Strategy: Troop Withdrawal

The first step is immediately to begin the withdrawal of all American troops from Iraq. Currently American troop levels are at about 140,000. Troops would leave gradually, in increments of approximately 11,600 per month, resulting in a complete withdrawal in one year’s time. This will bring the troops out of harm’s way quickly, preventing more unnecessary loss of life. Allowing a year for the withdrawal will give the Iraqi government time to train and deploy a sufficient security force in trouble areas.

As the United States removes troops from Iraq, 30,000 will be relocated to other Middle Eastern countries. Ten thousand troops will be placed in Afghanistan for peacekeeping purposes. Decisions regarding troop reallocation will be based on the locations of existing U.S. military bases in the Middle East. The most likely candidates would be Turkey, Bahrain, Egypt and Oman. These countries were chosen based on current foreign military base information in the Department of Defense Base Structure Report. All of the previously mentioned countries have U.S. military bases that possess additional acres to house more troops. The remaining troops, numbering approximately 100,000 would return home rather being relocated to other Middle Eastern countries. This would help reduce the strain on military reserves and free up military resources for the War on Terror.

I think they present a good plan and I think it could gain widespread support if the President were to adopt it.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I don't agree with ANY plan thats sets a time-table for withdrawl. The terrorists will use that information to their advantage. President Bush will NEVER agree to any time-table.

Just my two cents, good find.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I agree, hordes of Americans moving south towards Kuwaiitt will make for a rosey target..

Plus, then the insurgentsi n iraq can just lay down and disappear into the wood work until the troop extraction is complete.. then they will spring to life and slaughter the GREEN iraqi police..

The US hasnt really got a GOOD plan avaliable to it for exit from IRAQ..
Eitehr way its going to mean more attacks, and a lot more violence.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Who exactly is going to take over security as the troops are withdrawing? The Iraqi troops are getting better, but they aren't ready to begin taking over by themselves yet. They need more weapons, more supplies, more training, etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Why teach a man to fish when there's still beer left?

Plus, planning plays right into the critics' hands.

top topics

join