It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is everyone so concerned about our environment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
A lot of people have been complaining about the treating of our "mother" earth and abusiveness towards it such as pollution, littering, and many other penalties, and in acting towards these problems, many people are planting new trees, picking up trash, and other kinds of groups, but let's face it, what's going to happen is going to happen. Much of these problems are due to large companies or businesses that don't really care about the environment, just money, and let's face it, if we were in that situation, money vs earth, we would do the same...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Its a matter of survival. You can't exactly live in a fragile environment if you destroy it. Famine is going to be the most lethal effect of environmental destruction.

Certainly the Earth will fix itself even without mankind lifting a finger. Mass extinction followed by a long period of slow comeback by the lifeforms that remain is a certain outcome of what is taking place today. Its happened before with the history of the planet and it will most likely happen again. Only this time it will be caused by the very life the planet sustains. The issue remains as to whether or not humans, the one group of animals on the planet that can affect their own fates, will attempt to avoid this.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Frith]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
There is a much larger percentage of people who do not even care about our environment, compared to the number of people who are actually trying to change their entire planet from committing itself to this so-called "famine". Majority rule....

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Thats Britain if a polar ice cap melts, which will happen unless emissions are significantly curtailed by all nations.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4thefuture
There is a much larger percentage of people who do not even care about our environment, compared to the number of people who are actually trying to change their entire planet from committing itself to this so-called "famine". Majority rule....

You were alive to see the public outcry over the events of September 11, 2001, right? You also were alive to see the public outcry over the events of the December 26, 2004 tsunami, right? Humans can become activists for good or bad over big events. Now global warming might have to kill a percentage of people in the United States to become an unavoidable issue to the largely ignorant and uncaring public of the country that creates most of the global warming problem, but as it continues, the public will become more attuned to the coming tragedy of global warming. People don't like suffering and dying when it starts to affect their own nationality. Visible changes in everyday life will create visible change in public perception on this issue.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Frith]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
All I read are If's, and certainly the government does care, but for many other reasons, not pertaining the environment...I mean honestly, does the government right now need to be worrying about our environment, when there is a war that is about to begin....

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I dont worry about what other people do....

I try to take care of mother earth because its the only one we have and I dont see any point in trash what gives us all life.

Its called respect, some have it , some don't

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Why should we be concerned with pollution and the environment?

The Gulf of Mexico, which is my favorite body of water and my favorite place to be, is dying. At the mouth of the Mississippi, there is so much pollution being puked into the Gulf, the water around it is so rich in waste that it is a dead zone. That area is growing.

You want to ingest a mouthful of feces? Go fishing in the Chatahochee river. The city of Atlanta finds it cheaper to dump raw sewage into the river and pay the fines than to properly treat the sewage water. By the way, where do you think that water eventually goes? Also, the river is also necessary for communities downriver, for drinking!

Hell, why should we be interested in the environment? We have a spare someplace, right?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Some people do care about the enviroment, but they think that they cant make a diffrence. Other people are too lazy or too stupid to care. The government is more worried about making money then taking care of the enviroment. There are other ways to power cars other than fuels, like hydrogen or electricity, but the government wants to keep making money off fossel fuels, instead of solving the problem and losing some money.

new topics

top topics

join