It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Jazeera pressured to drop story on the US-Mexico border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Chris Simcox of the Minutemen Project is in the news again. He was contacted by Al-Jazeera because they wanted to do a segment on the state of security on the US-Mexico border. Simcox refused because he felt that they would only be showing people how to get into the US. He said to allow them to come on patrol with them would be 'aiding and abetting the enemy'. Al-Jazeera said they have dropped the story.

Mr. Simcox said Al Jazeera reporter Naisser Hssaini told him the network was doing an hourlong special over the Fourth of July weekend to highlight the state of security along the U.S. southern border, which would include information on the recent rise in the number of foreign nationals being detained by the U.S. Border Patrol who were identified as "other than Mexican," or OTMs.

He said Mr. Hssaini also was aware that many of the OTMs were being released back onto the streets of America immediately after their arrest pending future immigration hearings because of a lack of detention space, and that Border Patrol agents referred to the policy as "catch and release."

"I felt that allowing Al Jazeera to come along on our patrols or to assist them in their report was aiding and abetting the enemy, so we declined," Mr. Simcox said. "Obviously, whatever they would have filmed would have been shown to viewers that would include terrorists and their report would only highlight holes in our homeland security."

www.washingtontimes.com

Ok, I can understand where Chris is coming from on this one. But I think this is an important issue for my neighbours down south. And from what I've seen here, a large majority of you seem to agree with me.

I find the mention of a rise in 'OTM's' troubling. Does anyone have any information on what nationality/ethnicity these 'OTM's are?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well this is a good idea, do you really want terrorists studying how to get in to your country? BTW the one thing that might really sink bush is if they tracked down terrorists that came accross the border and attacked us. Bush's refusal to do anything about the border at that point, he might as well resign.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I find the mention of a rise in 'OTM's' troubling. Does anyone have any information on what nationality/ethnicity these 'OTM's are?

If you do a search on the internet on immigration, you'll get some web sites that talk about the OTM illegals. It's part of the reason why everyone is screaming about the wide open borders down south.

I didn't care about illegal immigration until I personally ran into someone with terrorist type leanings. Then the light bult came on.

Kudos for Chris on this one. It was exactly the right decision. I kinda wonder about Al Jazeera's motives on doing the story, to be honest.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

This stunning disclosure has been made by a small-town newspaper in Arizona, the Tombstone Tumbleweed, whose editor, Chris Simcox, posted an article on the paper"s website revealing the presence of Arab-speaking males amid the waves of illegals recently captured. The article is based on separate, first-hand interviews with three U.S. government agents who confirmed that males of possible Syrian and Iranian descent have been detained.
www.warriorsfortruth.com...

I have heard of people coming from just about every country from central america. There was a stary on the national news about an Iraqi crossing the border to meet up with his family. My guess is that nayone that wants into america knows about our southern border.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.
I was sure they were getting in that way, but it doesn't get much coverage up here.

After Al-Jazeera called Chris, he called the Border Patrol and Arizona'a congressional delegation to complain.
Apparently Trent Franks was very unimpressed with the planned broadcast.

top topics

join