It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MiG-29SMT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:54 PM
link   
mig-29SMT aka mig-33
what are your thoughts about this aircraft? it looks very different then mig-29 especially the spine
does it incorporate somekind of stealth?

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Outlander]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
One beautiful aircraft!!

As to stealth properties relating to "shape and form," I would say it has a limited stealth qualities.
The Mig-29 was built for maneuver ability and agility characteristics. She is a worthy and awesome weapons platform....

I found this thread that some may wish to read....
Mig-29SMT vs. F-16 C/D 50/52 Block series
(it may load slow but worthy of a read)
pub137.ezboard.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The LARGER SPINE houses.. more fuel (like in Mig-21 Bis..) and some extra electronics.. And besides being beautiful.. it its also POTENT and POWERFUL.. If flown by a PILOT who knows what he is doing it is more than match for US types.. especially in close range AAC.. only Israeli F-15/16 with DASH HMS / Python 4/5 comes even close to this dog fighter.. and still Mig has the advantage of being more agile..

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have to agree with seeker on this one, the mig-29 came into being as a counter to the F-14, 15, 16, and the then YF-17 that lost its contest to the f-16.
The whole Mig design philosophy has been driven in the last 50 yrs by the desire for strong, simple, easy to fly, and very agile aircraft, what they lack in finess�, Mig certainly make up for in agility and raw performance.
My personal opinion of the spine, is that it provides symetry to the design, and in practical terms..extra fuel and avionics....a win win situation.

Regards

Spear

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Very nice plane indeed..
Much to liking!

Btw.. YF-17 did "lose" nothing, i became F/A-18 A/B/C/D/E/F Hornet..

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
yea that plane is awesome but im going to have to say that i dont believe it has much in the way of stealth capabilities. one of the best dogfighters around. Now, if only i could get my hands on one........

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItchyPikachu
yea that plane is awesome but im going to have to say that i dont believe it has much in the way of stealth capabilities. one of the best dogfighters around. Now, if only i could get my hands on one........

Yeah, the LARGE AIR IN TAKES alone make it a good radar target.. But.. it has some RAM used and RA paint also?

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Although this thread is almost 20 years old, I must mention that MiG-33 was actually the original designation for the MiG-29M multirole variant of the MiG-29. An up-to-date account of the MiG-29SMT is provided at this link:
www.airforce-technology.com...

new topics

top topics

join