It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow...Nuclear debate begins in Japan.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Talk about wow....
Is this a reflection of changing circumstances and change in Japanese military doctrines and philosophies?
IS this in direct response to N. Korea, perhaps to Russia and China?
Geez, they are actually talking about 'beefing' up their military also....

Article's:
"Nuclear Debate Begins In Japan"
www.boston.com...

"Pacifist Japan beefs up military"
www.csmonitor.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I believe that if the Japanese wanted to they could build them selves a great military. One to rival the rest of the worlds.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
True. They've kind of put military and war behind them, until now. I'm guessing they wouldn't even need to develop nuclear weapons, I'm sure the US would just give 'em some.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It's not like they have been given a reason not to. America isn't exactly a good example right now. Why bother with peace when there are wars to be fought. Worthless humans

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Japan has always had a pretty decent defence force.
She has always had first go at US technology because of her strategic position in the Far East. On top of that, some of her own companies have supplied her with top notch military equipment.
It's not publicised that much purely because of her past history.

The man in the street in Japan honestly does feel shame and horror at the results of his country's participation in WW2.

I wouldn't read anything into the Nuclear proposal though. Public opinion in Japan is still years away from accepting an overt nuclear deterrant due to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
From July 12, 2003

Japanese are building two aircraft carriers. They are not full size "American type" carriers but carriers nonetheless.

Article:
"Planned Japanese Warships Suggest Discarded Pacifism"
www.anycities.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There is quite a big anti war movenment in Japan, im not sure how things would pan out if japan began to build their Military again. There is more emphasis onthe individual now, the Younger Japanese, the ones born after the war are not the same people that went to war in the 40s. The mind set id different, i agree with leveller that the people there are sorry for what happened although i dont beleive japan ever appologised for the things they did in the war to POWs and china etc.
After all Japan has done well without a large armed forces with americanj help since the end of the war. But tentions with North Korea may push them into a millitary build up up.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The japs already have a great army navy and air force, anything we have they have (except stealth/nuclear capabilities) in their own design.

Nuclear Weapons =

I dont think another country in the region having nuclear weapons is going to solve anything, it will only make things worse.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think I would tend to lean in favor of what you have sayed Velocity.
I think the military build-up would go fine without anybody really saying anything but the 'nuclear' aspect would diffently raise some eyebrows from some in that region.
At this point in time though, I think they are just "hashing" it out as to whether they should or shouldn't.
I have not found anything relating to any specific comment from the US on this, nor really any other nation for that matter.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 16 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I wasnt aware that Japan had any real sort of military? Didnt we ban that after WW2?
As for POW's in China, if Japan must appologize, then so must the US. We let them off the hook for that because we took the information the Japenese got from experimenting on the Chinese.

top topics

join