It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

people do throw subjects off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
MAN it pisses me off so bad when theres a good thread and someone argues then turns it into another topic like disinfo or pure stupidity.

But get the disinfo guy to start his thing then get into it and disinfo him and BAM your back on subject! But this might only work in some situations But it is worth trying cause you fight fire with fire.

And ignore the comments of people who are arguing with bad logic.(Sometimes thats me but still....)

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Because people get on a tangent. I mention something in this post like
ABortion, Gun Control, Liberal, Conservative, Harry Potter, Wicca, etc
And some loser will come along and start talking trash about How my post is Bigoted towards Wickas. When the post had nothing to do with Wicka!

Thus starting a flame war! I try to keep my post as politically correct as possiable so I won't offend people and keep the thread on track.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Godzilla1985
Because people get on a tangent. I mention something in this post like
ABortion, Gun Control, Liberal, Conservative, Harry Potter, Wicca, etc
And some loser will come along and start talking trash about How my post is Bigoted towards Wickas. When the post had nothing to do with Wicka!

Thus starting a flame war! I try to keep my post as politically correct as possiable so I won't offend people and keep the thread on track.

You could maybe start this 'political correctness' by not saying I talk trash and am a loser. I wanted to stay out of this thread but that 'some loser' was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I don't like name calling anymore than biggotry.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wisdumb
MAN it pisses me off so bad when theres a good thread and someone argues then turns it into another topic like disinfo or pure stupidity.

The stupidity part comes when they can't grasp what the point is. It's not that you or anyone ins't fully explaining the point and concept, they just aren't smart enough to understand the concept, theory or thought.
Then those that interject their point, throwing it way off.

Hence your point, like the post above, trying to throw this discussion off topic.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It does take two.

All we can do is ignore the attempted derailing of the topic and continue with those who are interested. If no-one plays with them they'll go away, or be removed by a Mod. After all it is against the T&C's

Terms and Conditions of Use
13.) You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding").

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Yeah, it can definately get annoying sometimes, but that's the way all threads really seem to go. People naturally go on tangents because they find some other topic of interest mentioned in someone else's post and try to elaborate on it. Sometimes it good because the information they give is important, but other times the thread becomes total garbage.

What really seems to get threads off-topic is any mention of religion. Man, one mention of "God" or "evolution" and you have scores of athiests, creationists, and many others that will completely take the thread off course.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
"You could maybe start this 'political correctness' by not saying I talk trash and am a loser. I wanted to stay out of this thread but that 'some loser' was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I don't like name calling anymore than biggotry."

This is exactly what I mean by changing the subject. Nobody called Riley these things but he/she got offended which tells you something about him/her.

Godzilla--Yes people do not understand and go all crazy and throw the topic off like somebody who posted here....

zhangmaster-- You are correct. Some people actually get off good points and start a great argument or conversation....then it turns ugly and the topic goes haywire.

I try not to take threads off course but sometimes I feel like saying about the off subject things. But it seems people really try to throw the subject off on purpose and thats where it's annoying.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wisdumb
"You could maybe start this 'political correctness' by not saying I talk trash and am a loser. I wanted to stay out of this thread but that 'some loser' was about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I don't like name calling anymore than biggotry."

This is exactly what I mean by changing the subject. Nobody called Riley these things but he/she got offended which tells you something about him/her.

Wisdumb.. [backstory] it was I who had a debate with Godzilla about Harry Potter and Wikka/witchcraft.. I said I considered it biggoted to label witchcraft devil worshiping. No-one else said the same thing so yes it was a veiled personal insult regarding me which is why I replied.. sorry to 'change the subject' [proving your point] but I wasn't going to tolerate it.

Now you can go back to you rant.. just needed to clarify.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Oh sorry....didnt know all that so nevermind the whole thing.

People usually throw subjects off unintentially and you might have accidentally done so but it's okay.
As long as you dont do it on purpose.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thats okay.. you weren't to know what the thread was being used for.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
ArGGGG i am bored and am about to throw my own topic off....is it okay for the maker of the topic to throw his/her own topic off????? I think it should be okay!!!

new topics

top topics

join