It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Men Attacked in Queens. Deserved?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Three black men who were walking in a Queens NY neighborhood known for being "historically white" were jumped by a few of the twentysomething white residents. Sounds awful given the history of the place where black people whose car broke down were attacked years ago by a group of white residents. However, what the article doesn't stress is that the three black men beaten by the residents were there to steal a car.

Three Black Men Attacked in Queens Neighborhood

The three blacks told investigators they had been looking for a car to steal when they entered the Howard Beach neighborhood. They told police a white man in an SUV passed them in the street, exchanged stares with them and then returned with two friends and a baseball bat before chasing them on foot.

If they were ordinary people strolling through or going for a walk, then I support the outrage at their attack. But if they were there to steal a car, then perhaps they got what they deserved. If someone was going through my neighborhood looking to steal cars, I'd want them out and wouldn't mind a little hurting with a bat to ensue. I don't care if they were black, Hispanic, Asian, white, Native American, Pacific Islander, Arab, Indian, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Point remains ...

They didn't steal a car.

The white residents attacked for no good reason....they weren't psychic, presumably?

Or has it become acceptable to punish someone for a crime they haven't yet committed? Is this behaviour indicative of a general increase in intolerance? How does a civilian "know" who is, or who isn't, looking to steal something?

A nation wonders, and scratches it's head...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Or has it become acceptable to punish someone for a crime they haven't yet committed?

Erm, unfortunately yes...ask those guys in Guantanamo.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The media has made this into a serious racial attack, as has the mayor and the police chief. While it was wrong, as was the racial epithet shouting, the promo for the news read like these 3 young black men were attacked for being 3 young black men. They made it sound like it was a complete replay of the Howard Beach incident from the 80's.

first off, they show a picture of the one man who was beaten. He's in military gear and his picture is in front of an amerian flag. The mayor, in a press conference, details how the city is better than this and how this senseless beating of a man because of his color is not what we are about. He mentions, almost in passing, that the men admitted they were there to steal cars. They opted out when they realized there were too many people around. Then they mentioning seeing another luxury suv and a little while later they are followed by the SUV which now has 6 (I think he said 6) white men in it.

The way I interpreted it was that these guys found their mark and something went wrong. The owner of the car and his buddies then pursued and caught the 3 men and that is when the confrontation and beating occurred.

Now, there are better ways to handle the situation (call the cops) but still, to make this into a racially motivated event and to brush over the main issue, that these boys were there to commit cromes, is awful. The reports didn't mention the number of car thefts in the area of late or any other crime stats that might indicate that this is a serious problem in the area (or that it isn't).

I feel bad for the young man but I also feel that when you are going to commit a crime, you should be prepared to take your lumps if you get caught. I know I would take a bat to someone who was trying to steal my car.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Along those lines - attempted crimes should not be punished? They didn't steal a car because they got beaten first. That works for me. It's not like people *thought* they might be there to steal a car, they admitted to POLICE they were there to steal one.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They didn't attempt anything, Red.

They were about to, yes - but nothing illegal had yet occurred; there was no attempted robbery, or anything.

Don't get me wrong - sure, they were going to be up to no good! But they hadn't acted yet. There's still the theoretical possibility that something else could have changed their minds.

But I'm more concerned that this is going to send a message like this:

"Hey, it's ok to attack (insert group of kids of your preferred ethnicity), cos hell, they might be up to somethin!"

That's a dangerous kind of vigilantism....

And whilst the main intent might not have been racially motivated (and that 's a reach, to be honest), it was still an obvious factor; do we seriously think that this would have happened if it had been a three white men walking down that street?

No, 'course it wouldn't have happened.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
that's my point. the only story out is theirs and they made it sound like they more or less got caught. they were going to steal a car but there were people around, so they fled.

then a car started following them

then they got beat up.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
And how did they know they where there to steal a car? Did they tell them," Oh dont mind us we are here to steal your car."

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
if nobody knew they were there to steal a car, they never would have admitted as much.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
They are getting stories straight saying they were 'there to steal one' not trying to steal one, so they cannot be charged. If they admitted to trying to steal one, that is another charge that can be added, GTA.

Guarantee one party saw them trying door handles, and there was a chase and a confrontation. This could easily have been 3 white kids looking for a car to hop, or the same 3 black guys up north in the Bronx looking for a ride, and then this would not have made national news as a Racial incident.

They should be lukcy no one was shot.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What would happen if a white person were to stroll down the back streets of Compton?

They would receive a nice beating and would that beating ever make it to the media? And, if it did would the media claim it as racially motivated?
Has anyone ever heard of a white person getting beat from a black person and then gettng charged as racially motivated crime?

I'm sure this is going to get flames but it's the truth.....
The news report says that it was a "histroically"white neighborhood. What business did these black men have doing in that neighborhood? What business would a white person have being in the back streets of black neighborhood? You're just asking for trouble.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
agreed. as I said, the press conference last night sure made it sound like these three guys were not just wandering thru the neighborhood with the idea of maybe stealing a car.

the press was quick to make this sound like the incident from the 80's. For those that don't know it, 3 young black men stopped at a pizza place in Howard Beach when their car broke down. They were attacked by 12 white men with bats and tree limbs. One guy ran onto a highway to get away from them, only to be hit by a car. Another boy was savagely beaten. The thrid got away.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by rancid1
What would happen if a white person were to stroll down the back streets of Compton?

They would receive a nice beating and would that beating ever make it to the media?

Its not about black and white in compton, Black and mexican is the in thing.

I have seen alot of blacks locked up for beating the # out of white boys.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So, three guys get beaten senseless after failing to commit a crime.

Do they deserve a beating? No trial, no due process, just a sound kicking, the just might be racially motivated. (I know America has no history of rasicm, but the thought should be considered)

Though i agree with Rancid, what on earth were they doing in a white neighbourhood? Didnt they know that Jim Crow lives here?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Uncle Joe, apparently, you have never been to Queens?

seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Have to admit, i do live on the other side of the Atlantic.

And as such i'm only commenting on how reactons to the story appear to me.

Which is basically that vigilantism is acceptable at all times, regardless of any possible racial undertones.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle JoeThough i agree with Rancid, what on earth were they doing in a white neighbourhood? Didnt they know that Jim Crow lives here?

I will state it again. They told the cops they went to Howard Beach to steal a car. That is what they were doing in the neighborhood. Again, after listening to the cops and bloomie tell the story, it sounded like they were interrupted by some residents of the area. Doesn't mean one of them deserves to be sitting in a hospital with a fractured skull but it does, at least in my mind, remove much of the racial aspect. The accused didn't necessarily spot three black guys and go grab a bat to beat the n***ers down, as the press and media have been portraying it. (use of the n word here for imagery, not my beliefs.)

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Crakeur]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well, having been to Queens and Harlem, "racial undertones" are simply the way it is, just as it still is in many parts of this country. We deal with it, and will continue to deal with it till the day that it ceases to be an "undertone" or "racial."

seekerof

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Seekerof that doesn't make it right though. I know your not saying it is, but just because its there doesnt make it acceptable.

The impression given is that three black guys were beaten. Even if they had been trying to steal a car why not call the police? or perform a citizens arrest and sit on them until the police turn up?

Lots of peaceful solutions here people!

The fact that they lept for the sticks and bats and tooled up the truck before calling any authorities of confronting them peacefully suggests a racist element to the attacks.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

as posted by Uncle Joe
The impression given is that three black guys were beaten. Even if they had been trying to steal a car why not call the police? or perform a citizens arrest and sit on them until the police turn up?

I'll say it again, apparently, you have not been to New York, the Bronx, Harlem, or Queens. Sometimes the police are called, and sometimes, the 'neighborhood' takes care of matters itself. Its a bit difficult to explain, but I have seen this a couple of times in my visits to parts of New York.

seekerof

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join