It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Chill Pill...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Add a new option to member avatars..

Currently you have the ignore, and the vote for way above option..

How hard would it be to add a "chill pill" option?

Hell, we can even make a 'chill pill' worth negative points (just a few at most)

But I must say, I cant count how many times I read a really good debate on these boards and someone just looses it and gets real personal... and sometimes people get so in tuned to their argument, that they dont realize they're acting like complete jerks.. just a poke from a passer by may change their tune..

So why not a system like the WATS vote, but a "vote for the Chill Pill" award.. winner gets a big "I was too rowdy last month" banner under his name...

And if a post of yours brings in a slew of chill pills, then you might wanna considered EDITING it..

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't think that would be too good of an idea. If someone personally doesn't like someone else then of course they would vote for them whether they needed it or not. It should be more of an option that an admin or mod has not any old member.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have seen a few times where someone's post isn't worth reporting or ignoring them, but should definatley be addressed.

Good idea.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
We are working on some ideas, I do like this one. We can throw it in the bag shake it up and see what comes out.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Im really digging the ATS council.. you guys have been jumpin all over these ideas recently.. thanks at the very least for the attention

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Im really digging the ATS council.. you guys have been jumpin all over these ideas recently.. thanks at the very least for the attention

I added it to one of our melting pots.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I've seen other communities (much more homogenous than us) call that MoJo. Like if a 100 or more people want you banned, they can't all be wrong.

But that really can't work as well on a diverse site like this where an especially 'out there' poster is likely to draw as many WATS as GTFOOH's.

I dunno. Majority rule is great for applause, but not punishment. At least that's what the civil libertarian we had for breakfast in Cosmic this morning was trying to tell us.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
GTFOOH's.

Good one!

The way I see it, we already have a warn tag which indicates punishment. Maybe a "chill pill" should be the same, a tag in our profile indicating we crossed the line, but not enough to get a warn.

Or maybe even the council staff and disc could come up with several different tags for various purposes: "rofl" tag (that would be something for BTS posts, for example), kuddos (a nice post, slightly bellow applause value), gear down (for someone who is a tad too heated in a heated PTS debate) and so on... make it in different colors too

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It's been brought up before in many incarnations. Suffice to say, if you think a member needs to take a chill pill, there are already quite a few things to do:

1. Stop arguing
2. Send them a (friendly) u2u
3. Inform the moderators/council via gripe form
4. Check out Kano's Instant Board-Rage Solution

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I agree with Amorymeltzer here.
We as staff, though obviously some think we have no real life but to be here 'babysitting'.....just kidding....., have enough to glean through and discuss when warns and such are contemplated or applied that adding a "chill pill" would be more to do.

Hell, quite frankly, I would give the "chill pill" automatically to a vast majority of current posting members, each and everytime I came on, just for the preemption value. Can you say "hello!?"

seekerof

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I post on economic and securities/options bulletin boards and frequently, I get + or - posts; based, not on the soundness of my reasoning, but on whether or not they agree with my stock picks and market forecasts. Since it is a european board, and I am currently shorting the Euro, I have a huge negative rating, even though I am always completely focused on business on those boards.

The question is, "how will this get used?" Not how do the moderators plan for it, but how will people across the boards use it?

Can I use it for a weapon ? ? ?

If I lose an argument, can I punish my tormentors?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The heart behind this idea is in the right place, but putting any sort of punishment ability in the hands of the mob, no matter how trivial, will always run the danger of being turned into a weapon. The "Chill" button could quickly become the "Lynch" button. We already have the WATS from members and applauds from staff for quality of posting. If you wanted to develop it more to include discouraging hot-headedness, then maybe turning it into a reward for positive behaviour would be more productive. Like maybe a "cool customer" button members could press for members who retain civility in a heated debate.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
How about these

"Eye of the storm" button for poster who is calm and civil amidst spirited debate.

"Boo & Hiss/ catcall" That doesn't affect anything material; just shows how the crowd thinks. This is the way "ratings" are done on the site I was referring to earlier.

"Phoebe Buffay award" no affect, other than logging the number of votes for off-topic posts

"Frank Burns award" same, except for most gung-ho / pro-USA poster

"Murphy Brown award" for liberal investigators of horrible corporate evil geniuses.

"Jed Bartlett Award" for nice mainstream liberal views

"Alex P. Keaton Award" for nice mainstream conservative views

"The Scully" for exceptional Sceptic posts

"The Mulder" for pro-alien posts

"Person of Interest" Not a negative tag; merely that this person is almost always present when debates turn ugly.

Oh, yeah. one more.

The "Lenny Briscoe," for the best wisecrack on a particular thread.

(Like when someone slides into third base with their cleats on.)

[edit on 30-6-2005 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I just got out of my short euro positions. . . and you know what, I have even MORE minuses next to my name on that trading bulletin board because I profited over 300 pips this morning on the Non-farm payrolls.

And a buncha "continental" types hate my guts because they handed me all their money.

But yeah. definite mob mentality. Picture angry (and now euro-less) villagers, storming my castle with their pitchforks and torches.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Nice idea but do think it best to be handled by staff. What I don't see (or am blind) is a "report post" button which allows members to alert staff to check out a possible problem that they may need to get involved in. Many forums have such a button.

I guess the bigger problem here is the pattern of complaints coming into the site all the sudden. Is it a stream of trolls or something the staff may want to take a closer look at? Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I like the overall concept myself. We have the WATS vote for good posts; we should have a similar vote for the other end of the spectrum. As far as it being turned into a weapon, there's a couple of ways to work around that.

One would be to just make it like the WATS--you're only allowed so many votes per month, so use them wisely. If nothing else, the worst one person could do is vote for the same person three times. Sure, they can get their friends together and "gang up" on someone, but I don't think that'd be something to worry about that often.

The other would be to make it point based. Maybe you have to purchase the ability each month for X number of points. Or make it to where each time you vote it takes a certain number of points away, maybe even a sliding scale if you keep voting for the same person. Generally speaking the members who have been around long enough to have enough points to be a "threat" are either mods who can do warns, or their the ones we could trust with it anyways.

On a somewhat related note, why is there no "Way Below Top Secret" award for good posts in BTS?

top topics

join