It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Defector Faces Expulsion From Canada (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
A fourth defector from China has gone public to detail ongoing human rights abuses. Mr. Han Guangsheng, a former supervisor for labour and prison camps in northeastern China, faces deportation after the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Board denied his claim. The decision is currently under appeal.

cnews.canoe.ca
A Chinese security official who defected to Canada fears he could be executed if sent back to his homeland after failing to win refugee status, The Canadian Press has learned.

Guangsheng Han, a former supervisor of prisons and labour camps in northeastern China, faces possible deportation following the Immigration and Refugee Board's rejection of his claim. Han argued at refugee board hearings he tried to stamp out the practice of mistreating prisoners and worked to protect their rights upon becoming disillusioned with the Chinese justice system.

"There is too much darkness and cruelty in the official circle," he wrote his superiors after defecting.

The board denied Han's application in late April, ruling he was a "willing accomplice" in crimes against humanity and therefore ineligible to remain in Canada.

"I think it's not fair and it's not objective," said Han, 52.

"They only looked at what job I did, and not how I did the job."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This case is slightly different from the other three in that this man was in charge of running prisons where there have been documented cases of abuse by groups such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch. He claims he tried to take care of the prisoners as best as he could, and compares himself to Oskar Schindler. But what else can he say?

I'm really torn on this. I don't know if he 'deserves' refugee status; but if he is sent back to China, I am sure he will be tortured and executed and I don't agree with that either.

Related News Links:
www.macleans.ca
www.theepochtimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Defectors Claim 1000 Chinese Spies in Australia

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Duzey]

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Duzey]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It looks like China's investments in Canada are already paying dividends to the CCP.

Related:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6/30/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the link.

I'm sure there is a lot of pressure being placed on our government right now to send him home. While he's normally not someone I would want to give refugee status to, I can't support sacrificing him for trade relations.

I really have to give a thumbs up to the Epoch Times on this. They sacrificed the exclusive story and interview and took him to the Canadian Press for a joint interview, to gain more exposure for the story. Not many newspapers would do that.

new topics

join