It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. struggling on China-war planning : top USAF officer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD

Originally posted by chinawhite
more than 20-30 doesn't mean over 200

i meant was that china now should have more than 20-30 so it still has a minimum deterence againest american ABM defence.

china had 20-30 DF-5 in 1980's-1990s and now the DF-31 is already in service.

America has a lot of them, way more than 200. That is called "as much as we can build". China has 20-50 of them, that is called "enough to ruin US anyway".

Btw Chinawhite, the Jl-2 has been tested, it has a range in excess of 8000-9000km, even more than some of the ICBMs.

yeah the US has 500 silo-based ICBM and heaps more SLBM.

BTW. warlord i dont mention projects in testing unlink other people *cough* STealthspy *cough*

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Originally posted by NWguy83

And China won't be launching ICBMs back immediately?

Not if the U.S takes them out first. And why would China even risk having every square centimeter of it vaporized by America's vast nuclear arsenal?

the only problem with `vaporizing every square centimeter` is that there will be a response from russia , as the vast radioactive cloud floats over there territory.

Reason enough for Russia to warn China.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

And China won't be launching ICBMs back immediately?

Not if the U.S takes them out first. And why would China even risk having every square centimeter of it vaporized by America's vast nuclear arsenal?

the only problem with `vaporizing every square centimeter` is that there will be a response from russia , as the vast radioactive cloud floats over there territory.

Reason enough for Russia to warn China.

russia wont warn china. it will warn the US

remember that china only has minimum deterence.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
What makes you think that Russia will come in to a prospective US-China war and warn the US ?

Do Russia want China to become powerful ?? ... i dont think so.

IMO If Russia were warn anyone, it would be China, not the US.

IMO Russia will keep mum and concentrate on its own ressurection.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
What makes you think that Russia will come in to a prospective US-China war and warn the US ?

Do Russia want China to become powerful ?? ... i dont think so.

IMO If Russia were warn anyone, it would be China, not the US.

IMO Russia will keep mum and concentrate on its own ressurection.

because china and russia have stragic partnership........

russia needs investment and the chinese have the money.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Many of the "theater" missile defenses are designed against powered cruise missiles and somehwhat faster rocket powered missles launched from land and aircraft, e.g. against a naval force.

These may work, but the problem is difficult.

The reason is that there are missles, and then there are missiles.

Serious long-range ballistic missiles, i.e. the ones launched with serious rockets, have this property that their warheads come in very very fast, and almost straight down from the victim's point of view.

This is why they are so effective and hard to defend against.

In this, numbers matter. And an ICBM or even a mid-level SLBM warheads re-enter at 5 to 10 kilometers per *second*. This is a substantial fraction of planetary speeds, like an asteroid hit. They will go from the highest part of the stratosphere (e.g. SR-71 and U-2++ altitudes) down to target level in two to four seconds. One onethousand two one thousand three one thousand BOOM

Such warheads are designed, intentionally, to re-enter as fast as possible by their orbital energy budgets and aerodynamics to minimize the effects of unknown weather and winds on re-entry which are significant in reducing accuracy.

There barely is any time to swear. You need large scale strategic level global extra-atmospheric sensing, and large anti-missile rockets. These have to be large rockets because small ones can't get up high and fast enough. And since they're so large, you can't carry them with you, and so they're very far away, like on an island in Alaska.

And then to intercept in time to do something you have to do it in space, and then distinguishing real from decoy is exceptionally challenging.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
thats why lasers are the way to go and you get them before they are up all the way

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
thats why lasers are the way to go and you get them before they are up all the way

how are you going to send a huge 747 into the heartland of china?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
no no.. the 747 is beyond chinese borders..it shoots down ICBMs after re-entry..
not in the launch stage..

What I want to know is HOW the US can claim to have the ability to detect a ballistic missile launch ANYWHERE on the planet.. I just cannot visualise the tech behind this detection procedure..
maybe a new thread is inorder to investigate this astounding technology..

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
no no.. the 747 is beyond chinese borders..it shoots down ICBMs after re-entry..
not in the launch stage..

What I want to know is HOW the US can claim to have the ability to detect a ballistic missile launch ANYWHERE on the planet.. I just cannot visualise the tech behind this detection procedure..
maybe a new thread is inorder to investigate this astounding technology..

like westpoint said. they are used to kill ICBM just after launch. the SBL will kill them in flight and the land based interceptors will kill them in re-entry

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
you possibly cant hope to kill ICBMs while they're still in the airspace of the country of origin..also how can one detect the ICBM since its inertial guided..

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
you possibly cant hope to kill ICBMs while they're still in the airspace of the country of origin..also how can one detect the ICBM since its inertial guided..

some type of radar... something about airwaves? i dont really know but america has the capbility

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Nice... Hopefully we don't need to see those weapons in action... It would be HELL!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Nice... Hopefully we don't need to see those weapons in action... It would be HELL!!!

yeah all this talk about nukes is scary

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I think that sattelites are used to detect Nuke launches and work out the destinations before feeding the information to the ground stations.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
srmsc.org...

have a read

`SafeGuard` was the first operational ABM system in the usa - they cancelled it after only a few months of operation

BUT , that site details how they would be detected and engaged - using long range and short ultra high speed sprint missiles

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
From what I understand, Russia is also developing advanced nuclear warheads, many with a lower yield, which are designed to break into three warheads closer to their targets and hit them individually.

Perhaps they're also working on ways to avoid the various methods of interception being implemented by the U.S.?

I read about lasers, but I have to ask myself: how realistic is this stuff? Can they really be deployed anytime soon? Would they be effective?

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
well "star wars" research was in the late 70's to late 80's, so 20+ years of maturity and tech advances I would say they are almost ready now, the 747 thel just started its flight testing agian, so if they rush the systems if there is a real threat of icbms being used then i would say 2- 4 years maybe sooner. thats just my oppion the prototype might be already to go it has a pretty mean laser on it.

Does China have icbm tubes or mobile launcher based icbms?

If they are tubes then those are the first to get bunker busted aka the first targets to knock and hope they are dummy tubes.

your right chinawhite it is scary you should make it your job to protect agianst wmd thats what i did, thats the reason i started getting white hair at the age of 22.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The US cannot survive a Russian attack but can take a Chinese nuke attack with ease.

I don't know about that man, nuclear war is no joke.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
from what I understand many of China's ICBM's are on rails, and are wheeled out from tunnels in mountains and hills before being armed...which all apparently takes some time.

I agree...the results of nuclear war is something I find hard to contemplate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join