It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Life on Earth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Is there new life evolving being created for the first time on earth as we speak or did it happen only once that spawned all other living things on earth.

I feel that withen my life time they will discover other planets around other stars that have oxygen atmospheres and abundent water.

The next logical question then would be is there life there? I think if Earth is not currently producing new life from the elements then we may just be a freak accident and be extreemly rare or one of a kind in all the universe.

I am hoping that we are not alone so that we might have reason to begin spending money on Deep space exploration so that some day humanity can spread out among the stars to escape the death of earth and the sun.

Just proving that life is being made new on Earth would go a long way toward proving other life may have formed out there.

Knowing this would also lend itself to help in proving or disproving evolution and creationism.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think that its impossible for the human race to be a universal mistake or accident if you will. I fail to see how we could be the only ones out there. I myself, believe in God. And with that I imagine that there countless worlds out there with with countless beings at their helms.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Is there new life evolving being created for the first time on earth as we speak or did it happen only once that spawned all other living things on earth.

I think that the general idea is that, while life could've formed on earth the first time, that today (and generally ever since), any 'new life' created spontaneously from inorganic matter would be stopped by being
  1. Destroyed by the advanced and very fit organisms that are alive today, such as bacteria, viruses, etc etc
  2. Be poisoned by the very unusual Oxygen laden atmosphere and environment today

Indeed, that oxygen laden environment is probably simply not suitable to creating life, whereas whatever the conditions on the early earth actually were, they were wholly different than what they are today.

I think if Earth is not currently producing new life from the elements then we may just be a freak accident

IF the earth currently was the same as it was in the distant past when life was being created, then that might be so. However, since the enviroment is entirely different and thus probably not suitable to forming life, it doesn't really apply.

Just proving that life is being made new on Earth would go a long way toward proving other life may have formed out there.

The mere fact that it exists on earth goes a long way to supporting the idea that its on other earth like planets.

Knowing this would also lend itself to help in proving or disproving evolution and creationism

I disagree. Regardless of whether life exists soley on earth, on only on a few other planets, it does not change the fact that evolution occurs nor does it affect at all the logic and reasoning supporting the theory that evolution occurs via a mechanism of natural selection.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
people talk of the universe as infinite. we cannot therefore be the only intelligent lifeforms out there. there is speculation that there could be frozen water on mars, bacteria type lifeforms, and if that life is found on mars then surely this disproves the creationist theory? this is because the theory of how life began on earth is that it was brought from somewhere far away in space. perhaps on a meteor. this means that certain life was also carried to other planets, hence mars, yet conditions weren't perfect enough for intelligent life to exist.

this doesn't prove much, yet does show the creanist theory to be less credible, as other life however insignificant should be mentioned in the bible. also what would be the point in creating bacteria on mars? science shouldn't answer that question, that's the creationnists job to tell us why god put simple life on other planets. science gives us an explanation, yet the bible, god and creationists do not.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

No, there's new species evolving (and being discovered) all the time. So yes, evolution is continuing (the most dramatic example of it is the flu, but AIDS has also evolved -- and these are just viruses that evolved from one form to another within 15 years. Animals and plants continue to evolve at a much slower rate, but they do evolve.

I feel that withen my life time they will discover other planets around other stars that have oxygen atmospheres and abundent water.

The next logical question then would be is there life there?

No way of telling. I'd say there's probably not life like US there, but there might be other life and other intelligent life. Remember, it's more than just chemicals that created changes... it's plate tectonics, weather, changes in the environment, etc, etc.

I think if Earth is not currently producing new life from the elements then we may just be a freak accident and be extreemly rare or one of a kind in all the universe.

Okay... you've tangled up with some websites that confuse abiogenesis with evolution.

Evolution says that "over a long period of time, wolves and dogs emerged as separate species from a Wolf-thing Ancestor."

Abiogenesis says "if you put this and this together, you get life."

Abiogenesis doesn't tell how new species and new forms of life come into being. That's evolution.

[quoteJust proving that life is being made new on Earth would go a long way toward proving other life may have formed out there.

It's being constantly "made"... but these species aren't "popping into existance." They evolve from other, older species and the changes occur because of changes in location (they get isolated), diet, etc, etc.

Knowing this would also lend itself to help in proving or disproving evolution and creationism.

I should point out that the biologists have been showing this to the creationists (including examples of the evolving organisms) for a very long time, and the creationists have finally and reluctantly admitted that "Micro-evolution" exists.

This is a cop-out because evolution is simply a collection of "micro-evolutions." But they can't swallow that, so they simply go with the "microevolution."

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
goldfish...that's new life. do you really think you'd find these tiny little gold fish that feed on dryed up gunk in the wild?

the chihuahua is also new life. this dog would not survive in the wild, so we can see from human intervention, has evolved, and this species shares the same ancestors as the germen shepard does...the wolf.

every year a different flu virus spreads, always changing, always evolving. if you need any more simple evidence for evolution then look no further.

new topics

join