It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Al Qaeda man captured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 05:32 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Hambali, Al Qaeda's top man in Asia has been captured - probably in Thailand.

"He is thought to have been involved in some of the planning meetings for the 11 September attacks on the US, and to have been the brains and financial conduit behind the Bali attacks."

I would think that this is going to be one helluva interesting guy to interogate as he's also one of the top people in Jemaah Islamiah.

This is going to hit that group very hard as Hambali was their chief operations man. They are going to have to hit back hard and fast if they are retain credibility after being hit this hard. I reckon that it's doubtful they will be able to do this immediately though. This guy was the brains and the money behind their terrorist organization.
A suicide attack by low level operatives is probably all that they will be able to mount.

It's also interesting to note that he was involved in the planning of 9/11.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
With all the talk about "Cleaning up" ATS and only allowing posts of a serious nature, blah blah, I find it odd that threads such as this get no replies compared to the thuosands about Aircraft and Entertainment......If the people who are fed up of stupid posts are so concerned, why are threads on important issues so often ignored?

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
im sure the region in which he was captured in, was the region he was a al-queda leader/operative of.

Loyal members such as this man would be a large blow to Al-queda and Ji. As their senior operatives would hold much infomation. Lets hope this slows them down on their bombings on indonesia and other countries surrounding it.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm glad they got this guy. I hope they can 'convince' him to let out some good information on other terrorist activities.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Great, we got the top Al Qaeda man! The war on terrorism is over!!!! We can all rejoice!! Oh wait a minute, "terrorism" is a construct, just like "drugs". And we know how well we're winning that war!

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I hope they really work this guy over good to get him to talk. This is war here. Let's take the gloves off.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I hope they really work this guy over good to get him to talk.

Honestly, I hope they got the right person. If you torture anyone long enough, they'll admit to whatever you want just to stop the pain. I have utmost confidence in the chemical interrogation techniques of the CIA, however.

new topics

top topics

join