It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier serving in Iraq thinks the war is ridiculous

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
The lack of training and lack of appropriate language resources explains a lot of what has gone tragically wrong at certain checkpoints in Iraq.

Fear/paranoia also plays a big part in accidental deaths. What some might call murder or unecessary aggression can also be explained by a soldier's personal fear level. I know how it can be. I came a breath away from killing two Saudi men once. I wasn't scared, but if the guy behind the wheel had moved an inch, they both would've been toast. It's easy to let a situation go out of control, too. Communication or the lack of does play a role in that, too. The whole situation is just wrong. Our troops shouldn't even be operating in the populated areas, in my opinion.

You always get accidental death of the soldiers themselves because the battallion is like a mini city on the move. I remember when my brother was in Germany he told me of three guys that served with him that decided to sleep outside. During the night it started raining so one slept under a tree and two slept under a tank. In the morning the tank had sunk into the ground a little and crushed the two soldiers to death. The guy that slept under the tree ended up getting a medical discharge because he suffered from depression brought on by the guilt of him chosing not to sleep under the tank and thus living.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yes, accidental deaths will always, unfortunately, happen.

What I wa speaking of, though, had to do with scared soldiers with itchy fingers on hair triggers. Unfortunately, in Iraq it's probably a far greater problem than some are willing to admit. And it's perfectly understandable.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Yes, accidental deaths will always, unfortunately, happen.

What I wa speaking of, though, had to do with scared soldiers with itchy fingers on hair triggers. Unfortunately, in Iraq it's probably a far greater problem than some are willing to admit. And it's perfectly understandable.

Happens in all wars though doesnt it. Human emotion for you. People get angry and start shooting innicents because they are "one of the enemy".

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Happens in all wars though doesnt it. Human emotion for you. People get angry and start shooting innicents because they are "one of the enemy".

I think its more like “I saw my friend yesterday searching a car at this checkpoint when it went of and killed him, so I better be ready and not let it happen again.”

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
OK, here is the actual situation.

There are a number of reasons, obviously, why the Bush administration does not want to pull troops back out. But ONE very important goal the Bush administration has is to keep troops in Iraq until AFTER the end of the President's administration and Bush is OUT OF OFFICE. There is a terrible fear that once troops start coming back there will be a HUGE backlash of discontent and anger from them about being there and the American people back at home will become very angry and turn that anger onto George Bush.

So, it is a VERY HIGH PRIORITY to keep the troops in Iraq until AFTER George Bush leaves office.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hey Jupiter, a very good point but, if this is the case, your President is one cold, calculating mf who needs bringing down - asap!

Can anyone tell me if a former President can be impeached after he leaves office or is his buns covered by secret acts etc?

Let's face it - only reason Bush sent your guys and Blair sent our guys in was not WMD - it was oil and a damned good opportunity to finish off Sadam, something which Bush Snr seemed very reluctant to do.

If Bush Snr had not called a stop to GWI, I don't believe that GWII would've started. But who knows.

I say get all of our boys out now - give the Iraqis loads of dosh to help them rebuild and let them get on with it. After all - that's what the majority want.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Soldiers are in Iraq to do as the President tells them to, not to give their political stance as a grounds to defy the Commander and change the tide of war. This is one soldier, in one country, in one war(not the only war in Iraq technically). IS this even news? oR another attempt of the left wing to push their ever vague and narrower agenda?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join