It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier serving in Iraq thinks the war is ridiculous

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Well, since WW2, the U.S. has pretty much been the only true super-power (w/ the exception of the Soviet Union).

I guess that is why this is only happening in post WW2 conflicts.

-wD

But that doesn't make it right for our government to ask our troops to serve multiple tours in theater. If there's an inability to retain and recruit troops, that's on the government. They should either re-start the draft or get off the potl

You know? That's asking too much of anyonel

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
When I served in the US Army from 1980-1984, we had ways of dealing with cry-babies...its called a Blanket party. Its hard enough to be stationed far away from family and friends, but its even worse when other soldiers complain openly. It ruins morale, so we would give them a few warnings and than an a** kicking would follow.

Its one thing to be pulling guard duty in Germany and another to be in an active combat zone during war, where people are dying around you.

Im glad you gave a**kickings to the cry-babies in peacetime Germany. What a bunch of pansies.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
When I served in the US Army from 1980-1984, we had ways of dealing with cry-babies...its called a Blanket party. Its hard enough to be stationed far away from family and friends, but its even worse when other soldiers complain openly. It ruins morale, so we would give them a few warnings and than an a** kicking would follow.

Its one thing to be pulling guard duty in Germany and another to be in an active combat zone during war, where people are dying around you.

Im glad you gave a**kickings to the cry-babies in peacetime Germany. What a bunch of pansies.

I have to concur with Cargo. It's different altogether.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It's true ECK, I agree with you on that. Actually, with my new news that I am shipping out, I hope that I don't have to serve 2 - 3 tours. However, if need be, I will.

-wD

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Funny, this guys says this, but a lot of others I have personally talked to feel totally differently.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
These may not be familiar words to the newer generation, but they still mean a lot to the people before you;

"Duty, Honor, Country.
Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be."

- General MacArthur

How ever these are not those times, and God alone will be the one who chooses another mans duty. This of course if my opinion and beliefs.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i really do believe that our soldiers do not want to be there..... when you r in a foriegn country and being shot at and away from your family and friends fighting a war that you dont really support..... of course there r a couple of people over here that say that one soldier sayin that kind of stuff is just come kind of deserter... if u r so supportive why dont u go over there and fight????
ali

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Guys from my old unit came back from Iraq a month ago and tell a very differant tale than you 'gun-ho' Americans.

They tell of serious attempts by Brit forces to keep control of the locals by, shock, horror and gasp, talking to them, helping them in their daily lives and treating them like human beings!

One funny thing about us Brits, when we talk to somebody, we like to make and hold eye contact. This breeds a sense of trust and you just know when somebody is lying to you - by looking in his eyes. Brits also dont wear their combat helmets unless it is vital to do so. They also refrain from 'aggressive patrolling' - that is, pointing their weapons at all and sundry.

That approach is not to be mistaken for a softly, softly gentle hand. No Sir, far from it. When needed, us Brits can fight like we're possessed by the very Devil himself, as the baddies found out when the Black Watch went up north to grab the coals out of the fire for you Americans - because that nice Mr Bush asked that nice Mr Blair if he could 'borrow a few of your guys', and I believe finished part of the job you'd left undone - at the cost of two dead. (Yes I know you've lost more guys than we have and that is tragic, but to have men killed on a political whim? Outrageous!)

You Yanks are so hyped up, it's a little bit frightening and not only to the Iraqis. Why dont you leave the Raybans off for a change. The Arab sees that as an insult if you don't look in their eyes, or do you have something to hide?

Speaking of hiding - have any weapons of mass destruction been found in Iraq? NO! That was the supposed reason for the invasion of Iraq.

As for Iraq disobeying the UN and it's stupid and ill though resolutions, how come the US has let Israel off for all these years?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
It's true ECK, I agree with you on that. Actually, with my new news that I am shipping out, I hope that I don't have to serve 2 - 3 tours. However, if need be, I will.

-wD

We all hope you don't have to.

Where you shipping out to? Afghan, Iraq? And when?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
July 13th I have to report to southern CA to receive some officer briefings on the situation, then we will meet with the unit that I will be attached to. After that, we'll fly over to Little Rock, AK, from where we will deploy to the middle east.

From what I've heard from some of my fellow officers in the know, it'll be somewhere in Northern Iraq.

And to firestarter - Sorry to burst your bubble, the overwhelmingly percent of the military supports the war. That's a fact. Oh, and like I said, I am going to fight a war that I support.

-wD

[edit on 30-6-2005 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My brother serves in the South Carolina National Guard. He voted for Bush (at least the first time). According to him, the vast majority of men in his unit supported the president and going to war. Before the invasion. Since, he says none of them were planning to vote for Bush because they were mostly against the whole thing by the time of the 2004 election. Most of them have done tours in Iraq. Luckily (so far) my brother hasn't been called to go. If he was, I would go in his place without hesitation. Afterall, he's the one with the wife and kids.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I wish you and yours the best of luck WeBDeviL.

Hopefully Northern Iraq will be not so bad duty for you.

Will you be able to communicate with us while you are there? That would make a fascinating thread. On the march with WeBDeviL.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Fritz,

I agree with you on the point about sunglasses. I never see any Iraqis wearing them, I agree that the U.S. troops should maybe leave them at home. Interesting point.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
WeBDeviL,
Come to think of it, upon your safe return, we will have to make you an FSME in the WOT category.

[edit on 6/30/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Well, if I get anytime to use a computer back at a base then I'll probably to be able to communicate, and if I get enough time maybe upload some pictures (depending on what they allow, of course)

-wD

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Still being in Iraq now, I have a different take here. I dont support the war and the lies behind it. Saying that I do support my unit and the missions we are asked to do, thats my job. There are many here that see this war as a waste and still others that see hope for the future. Both are right and we have to hope for the best. I wish the public could spend a day on the ground here. There is so much that needs to happen for a "free" Iraq that isnt and will never happen with US troops here but at this time we are the only thing keeping this nation together. Its our job to repear the nation, we bombed it to the ground, but its not our job to spread freedom, that the Iraqis. We fought for our freedom hundreds of year ago, with help yes, but we forced the issue. Many Iraqis dont care about freedom now, they worry about dinner,working, running water, AC, and the health of their kids. The storys shown on the news dont show the real dispear that most Iraqis have for everyday life. Are we helping them, yes but we can only do so much. The problem is to large for the US to solve on its own. Thats sad because we caused it to get so bad in the first place.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Take care of yourself, Dirk d. I hope you and yours make it back safely.

Thanks for your input. If you get a chance, check out this thread. We'd love to hear from you.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My brother was in the Army for six years and I talked to him one day about soldiers and their families that are against the Iraq war for it being a war for oil or a war that we shouldnt have got involved in. He told me that a lot of soldiers in the army are guys from the bottom of society and by them joining the army is the only way they will get straightened out. They know what they are getting themselves into because just about every government has gotten into a war in some remote far off land that the average citizen knows nothing about. So its know wonder the government got themselves involved in Iraq. He alo said that the soldiers are given the training to handle the situation over there and that the training is probably the best in the world so its not like they are thrown over there wet behind the ears.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
soapydodger
unapproved
Mood:
Member is on ATS now.
ATS Points: 110

Fair comments, soapy. I have heard pretty much the opposite about the quality of training being provided to new recruits sent to Iraq. And I shudder to think who might be training the soldiers in any issues of cultural sensitivity or language. The lack of training and lack of appropriate language resources explains a lot of what has gone tragically wrong at certain checkpoints in Iraq.

BTW, I've never seen an "unapproved" person post before at ATS. Congratulations on your special status!

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
The lack of training and lack of appropriate language resources explains a lot of what has gone tragically wrong at certain checkpoints in Iraq.

Fear/paranoia also plays a big part in accidental deaths. What some might call murder or unecessary aggression can also be explained by a soldier's personal fear level. I know how it can be. I came a breath away from killing two Saudi men once. I wasn't scared, but if the guy behind the wheel had moved an inch, they both would've been toast. It's easy to let a situation go out of control, too. Communication or the lack of does play a role in that, too. The whole situation is just wrong. Our troops shouldn't even be operating in the populated areas, in my opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join