It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 04:03 AM
link   
It's so simple!

Tell me what you think of this. I propose that the vote be modified. A better system would allow people to vote without having to choose the lesser of two or three evils. As we all know, this is basically all the election process is.
A better way to do this, IMO, would be to change the presidential vote to a yes or no vote. In this way, the people would truly have a choice in whom they want for president. If the candidate doesn't receive at least a certain percentage of the total votes, they can't win. This way, if no candidate was voted into office, other more acceptable candidates could step forward. This would practically eliminate the two party system we now have. Since this would also give people the power to keep someone out of office, instead of just throwing away their vote on an obvious wildcard party, more people would vote, and more people would run. What do you think? Any comments, ideas, additions?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Yeah like that will ever happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Yeah, I know. But I'm just curious if this is a good idea. Are there unforeseen problems with this type of vote? For instance, one could argue that a president may never be elected. Although, with more candidates and the freedom to run for office without having to be filthy rich, I don't see that happening.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The one way we can regain our democracy is to get rid of the electoral college... and vote for Nader!

Nader2004!

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I don't see anything in his mission about returning personal freedom to people, by getting rid of the damn feel good laws. I want someone who has the balls to end the drug war, get rid of stupid safety laws, and other ridiculous legislation. He is in favor of revamping the electoral system though. That's something, I guess.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The one way we can regain our democracy is to get rid of the electoral college...

this concept of an "electoral college" is as out-dated as a convenience store hot dog....

I'd like to see an internet-based vote. Avoid the stupid polling locations... Talk about improving voter turn out.... That's really the key, is getting people to frickin' vote!

I'm a big fan of the Yes/No method myself....

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If the candidate doesn't receive at least a certain percentage of the total votes, they can't win. This way, if no candidate was voted into office, other more acceptable candidates could step forward.

Yeah, I agree, it'd be a much better way to go about it. But it'll never happen. The office would never let it happen. But I mean, don't you notice that iot's not really the people who chose anyway... I mean Bush wouldn't have won had it not been for the other officials. Technically Gore won from the people's view. So would it really change all that much?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Internet polls would never be secure. First of all, there are hackers who could fix the election. Second, there are rumors of back doors in windows that could allow the gov't access.

I have tossed the idea of telephone voting around. That could be made secure. It would be easy to just push a button on your phone to vote. The problem is, no one would be able to monitor the process easily. There could still be corruption. Not that there isn't already.

Supposedly, the electoral vote isn't what won the election for Bush. As Bill Maher said, the republicans did not steal the election. It did, however, fall off the wagon.

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Satyr]

new topics

top topics

join