It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Congressman Cunningham Subpoenaed by Grand Jury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
US Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham will have to appear before a San Diego grand jury to answer questions arising from his real estate dealings with Mitchell Wade, owner of MZM Inc., a defense contractor. Apparently, Wade puchased a home from Cunningham in 2003, then turned around and sold it for $700,000 less than he paid for it 11 months later. The property is located in the Del Mar Heights area of San Diego, in Southern California, one of the hottest real estate markets in the country. In addition, Cunningham has been living on a forty-two foot yacht owned by Wade while in Washington, reportedly paying way less than market value in rent. Meanwhile, MZM's website claims that revenues from defense contracting tripled in FY2004.

www.nctimes.com
In a written statement Cunningham issued last week, the former Navy pilot and Top Gun flight instructor at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station said Wade wanted to buy the Del Mar Heights home and install secure communications equipment. The home also would serve as a corporate housing location for MZM in the San Diego area, Cunningham wrote.

The lawmaker said that while he had exercised "poor judgment" in the real estate deal, he denied having done anything wrong and welcomed an investigation.

"I have faith that any investigation of these allegations will confirm that I have acted honestly," the 50th Congressional District lawmaker wrote.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Randy Cunningham is one of my heroes. He was one of the only air aces of the Vietnam War, and a Top Gun instructor. It pains me that he may now be going down in flames. It doesn't help that the yacht he has been living on virtually rent free in Washington is named the "Duke-Stir".

[edit on 29-6-2005 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Poor judgement but didn't do anything wrong? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is he saying that he did the wrong thing, but did it in a way that there isn't explicitly a rule against?

Always a shame when you see how corruption can touch even those you thought it was safe to admire. How much money does a man really need? Just on their base sallary a congressman lives above the norm for an American. You'd think there'd be something to say for a representitive who tries to be a man of the people.

I've fought with the prospects a lot, since I plan to go into politics one day. God help me if I get rich off any office I ever hold.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The question seems to be.. will the right wing handle this situation fairly and report on it accurately? Doesn't seem to want to.

It should. If this were a Democrat, they'd be screaming corruption from the rooftops.

Conservative radio hosts quiet on Duke

UNION-TRIBUNE
July 2, 2005

It makes me cringe a bit.

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham is scheduled to appear at Cottonwood Creek Park on Monday, the Fourth of July.

Opinions vary whether he'll show up.

In any other summer, a red-white-and-blue gathering in Encinitas would hit the congressman flush in his sweet spot. On any other Fourth, he'd bask in the adulation befitting a decorated war hero on the nation's birthday.

Cunningham's sunny smile has been a signature of North County for 13 years, ever since the Vietnam ace flew up from the South Bay to shoot down Congressman Bill Lowery in a memorable Republican dogfight.

But this summer is like no other summer on his record.
www.signonsandiego.com...

new topics

join