It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Rick Santorum Explains Catholic Pedophilia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
According to conservalogic, it's the liberals' fault.

Catholic.org
Fishers of Men
7/12/2002 - 3:30 PM PST
By the Honorable Senator Rick Santorum

Like most American Catholics, I have followed the recent sex scandals in the Church with profound sympathy for victims, revulsion over priests who prey on minors and frustration at the absence of hierarchical leadership. Unlike most, I have been visited by the gift of hope; for I see in this fall an opportunity for ecclesial rebirth and a new evangelization of America. This "new evangelization," advocated strenuously by Pope John Paul II, has the potential for restoring confidence in the priesthood while empowering all American Catholics.

The most obvious change must occur within American seminaries, many of which demonstrate the same brand of cultural liberalism plaguing our secular universities. My hope was rekindled last week as our American Cardinals proposed from Rome an "apostolic visitation" of seminaries emphasizing "the need for fidelity to the Church's teaching, especially in the area of morality." It is an arduous task. However, the Pope made it clear last week that he expects the strong appeal of the Cardinals to be followed by decisive Episcopal action.

It is startling that those in the media and academia appear most disturbed by this aberrant behavior, since they have zealously promoted moral relativism by sanctioning "private" moral matters such as alternative lifestyles. Priests, like all of us, are affected by culture. When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm.

Yup, fishers of men become fishers of little boys from being in Boston too long around all those people that want a balanced budget and equal rights. You tell 'em Rick.

Santorum goes on "as a Catholic U.S. Senator" to praise the Church for taking "one courageous stand after another on the great moral issues of the day" such as the genocide of AIDS to which Catholicsm has greatly contributed the spread of disinformation and the disease alike.

But molesting little boys? That's the fault of media and academia.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Priests, like all of us, are affected by culture. When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected. While it is no excuse for this scandal, it is no surprise that Boston, a seat of academic, political and cultural liberalism in America, lies at the center of the storm.

The liberals, the media and academia are making Priests molest little boys.
I had no idea.
I guess I watch different TV shows than they do.
My TV picks up 'Touched by an Angel' not 'Touched by an Uncle' or 'Touched by a Priest'.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
The liberals, the media and academia are making Priests molest little boys.
I had no idea.

Me either. Glad Rick cleared that up.

It may be the coffee talking, but we're all friends here so I have to ask...

Are the people that vote for these jackass Republicans just stupid? I mean just buck nuts inbred thumb sucking braying idiots? They have to be.

This message brought to you by caffeine. Mmmmm, the taste of truth.

I guess I watch different TV shows than they do.
My TV picks up 'Touched by an Angel' not 'Touched by an Uncle' or 'Touched by a Priest'.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yikes I am so glad that he speaks for all Catholics....being one. He is a Senator in my State. I have written him often regarding certain issues. His letters are always some cockamamie runaround. You know the kind of letters that say, well I had nothing to do with that law. Thank you for your comments. I will keep them in mind. Kind of letter.
I never vote for jackasses. Just write to them when they are in office.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

When the culture is sick, every element in it becomes infected

Excuse me but "we all infected" sorry but he may be infected and child molesters may be infected but, hey keep me out of the rasionalization that we all infected.

What a very smart observation by "Santorum"

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think Senator Ricky needs a reality check. Thats something I would expect to hear from Ann C. or Rush. Ah well. More national division......Just what we need. Way to go there Rick. And DAMMIT! WHY DOES THAT SCHMUCK HAVE THE SAME FIRST NAME AS ME!

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Wait, again, blaming the people not in power???? I don't get it, when Clinton was in power, it was all his fault. When Bush is in power, it is all Clintons fault. When the GOP controls everything, it is still the democrats fault.

???

Also, anyone notice all hate groups acronyms are 3 letters long?

KKK, CCC, GOP, WKK, all hate groups, all 3 letters long for acronyms. Strane, did they have a meeting where they could only use 3? "We wanna be the KIOL." No, you have to shorten it to 3 letters.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Santorum's point is well taken, if ill defined. When academia and the media crusade for the diminution of virtues once held to be sacrosanct, they shouldn't express surprise or outrage when their campaign reaches its logical end. Priests are drawn from the Catholic population-at-large, just as police and the military are drawn from the general population. The same cultural influences that affect everyone will eventually be felt within those subgroups who draw from the general culture.

That there are fewer and fewer men who feel the call to the priesthood, the likelihood that those with ulterior motives will become more prevalent is hard to deny. A very permissive culture cannot help but influence the choices by men and women from whom the members of a very restrictive culture will be drawn.

Santorum's comments have raised the ire of liberals and conservatives alike, but allowing emotion to overcome the rationale in this matter only diminishes the lesson we all need to take from his observation and the responsibility we all have for the actions of those whom we may have never have met. Everything is connected; nothing happens in a vacuum. It is the Way.

[edit on 2005/7/15 by GradyPhilpott]

top topics

join