It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Omnipotent Paradox: SOLVED!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I'm sure we have all heard the saying, "If God is so almighty, can he cook a muffin so big that even HE cannot eat it."
There are many variations of this, but they all have the same conclusion; It’s a paradox.

Well, here’s my own variation, but this one can be PROVED that God is not as omnipotent as we believe. Here it is “If God is so Almighty, can he create a species so independent, that even HE cannot control.”

I am of-course speaking of mankind.
Thus the ending of the Age-Old debate on the extent of God’s omnipotence.
:w:
:shk:
:bnghd::bash:: pbjtime:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
In a paradox we find contradiction. Contradiction betrays objectivity, therefore there can be no objective truth found in a paradox.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gear
I'm sure we have all heard the saying, "If God is so almighty, can he cook a muffin so big that even HE cannot eat it."
There are many variations of this, but they all have the same conclusion; It’s a paradox.

Well, here’s my own variation, but this one can be PROVED that God is not as omnipotent as we believe. Here it is “If God is so Almighty, can he create a species so independent, that even HE cannot control.”

Its Man with a Paradox, Not God,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Its not that God CAN NOT control man,, But HE DID give man a choose and He DID promised that He would not interfere with your Choose....

So there is Man's Paradox,,, Why You ask??? Because he knows what and how you are going to live here on Earth before You are Born.. There is nothing you can Do or say that he doesn't all ready know about before You Do it or say it........

Man's Paradox is to live here the way he think is right or good and at the End Recive his award or to die and to fissal off to only be a bad Fart !!!!!!!!!

As for Me and My house,,, We will be looking for our award in Paradise...

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
In Slaughterhouse-Five, Vonnegut utilizes the Tralfamadorians to discuss the philosophical question of whether free will exists. These aliens live with the knowledge of the fourth dimension, which, they say, contains all moments of time occurring and reoccurring endlessly and simultaneously. Because they believe that all moments of time have already happened (since all moments repeat themselves endlessly), they possess an attitude of acceptance about their fates, figuring that they are powerless to change them. Only on Earth, according to the Tralfamadorians, is there talk of free will, since humans, they claim, mistakenly think of time as a linear progression.

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
why would God want to create an intelligent being that he cannot control?

You are asking him to create another God. God is a jealous God and would never do that

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

You are asking him to create another God. God is a jealous God and would never do that

God is not an emotional creature like humans, it is literally the fabric of existance in all the universe. It does not have emotions -- it is beyond all things finite.

In Hindu philosophy, God has two aspects: cosmic and acosmic, relative and transcendental. There is no real conflict between the two aspects; one is dynamic and the other is static. We are here concerned with the immanent God who permeates the universe. The acosmic aspect of God is beyond time, space and causation. This all-pervading, self-effulgent God is regarded as the only reservoir of all excellences, beatitude, peace, wisdom, power, knowledge, etc. He is pure, benevolent, dearest friend, most affectionate parent, the most loving savior. "The Goal, the Supporter, the Lord, the Witness, the Abode, the Refuge, the Friend, the Origin, the Dissolution, the Substratum, the Storehouse, the Seed immutable"

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gear

Your answer to the paradox does not hold water, Gear. God can control mankind, but has given us Free Will- He wants us to do what He has commanded and to worship, praise, and have a personal relationship with Him; but He will not force you to, He will not control you.:

15 See, I have put before you today, life and good, and death and evil; 16 In giving you orders today to have love for the Lord your God, to go in his ways and keep his laws and his orders and his decisions, so that you may have life and be increased, and that the blessing of the Lord your God may be with you in the land where you are going, the land of your heritage. 17 But if your heart is turned away and your ear is shut, and you go after those who would make you servants and worshippers of other gods: 18 I give witness against you this day that destruction will certainly be your fate, and your days will be cut short in the land where you are going, the land of your heritage on the other side of Jordan. 19 Let heaven and earth be my witnesses against you this day that I have put before you life and death, a blessing and a curse: so take life for yourselves and for your seed: 20 In loving the Lord your God, hearing his voice and being true to him: for he is your life and by him will your days be long: so that you may go on living in the land which the Lord gave by an oath to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Deut 3:15-20 BBE

What good would controlling us do Him? He doesn't want robots or automatons, He wants us to seek Him, willingly and with an open heart.

6 Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. 8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9 "For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:6-9 NASB

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineSoma

God is not an emotional creature like humans, it is literally the fabric of existance in all the universe. It does not have emotions -- it is beyond all things finite.

This is yet more proof that the christian God is not the same as any other.
God Loves mankind
God hates sin
God is jealous that we have been led astray
God is Happy
God is just
God is reading this post and knows how you will respond

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

God Loves mankind
God hates sin
God is Happy
God is just

:shk: Why is it that you can't see the forest from the trees?

I think its cute that you can summerize your 'Christian God' in six aspects that differ from others view simply for the point of showing differences. Why do you base the core of your religion by straining hard to find differences -- rather than see clear similarities and find peace with others?

Differences DIVIDE people! Division creates WAR and HATRED. Do you want a divided world? What ever happened to your saying "Love Thy Neighbor?"

I guess I'm just another devil worshipping brown person to you.

[edit on 7/15/2005 by DivineSoma]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Well then your God is differant then my God, because these are the passages in the bible that say my God is a jealous God:
Exodus 20:5 ...for I, the LORD your God am a jealous God..
Exodus 34:14 ... for the LORD who's name is Jealous, is a jealous God
Deut 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God
Deut 5:9 ...for I, the LOrd your God, am a jealous God....
Deut 6:15 for the LORD your God, who is amog you, is a jealous God...
Deut 32:16 They made him jealous with thier false gods
Joshua 24:19 ..He is a holy God; he is a jealous God...
Nahum 1:2 The LORD is a jealous and avenging God...

In short, don't make God jealous by worshiping false gods

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997

God Loves mankind
God hates sin
God is Happy
God is just

Differences DIVIDE people! Division creates WAR and HATRED. Do you want a divided world? What ever happened to your saying "Love Thy Neighbor?"

It is possible to love someone so much that you can not sit by and watch them run head on into an oncoming train; or to want them to avoid being deluded by false teaching. That's what loving your neighbor is about, in case you didn't know or were confused. When Jesus said to love our neighbors, He said to love them even as He has loved us. But Jesus is God and perfect, it is impossible for us to love like that without the Holy Spirit who allows Gods' love to flow through us. I don't know you, Soma, but I love you, in the sense that I want the best for you and want you to have joy and peace and assurance of salvation that only come through God and Jesus Christ. I pray that you will open your heart and mind to the possibility That what I and Jake and others have been saying is true.
Just pray this: "God, if you are truly there and care about me, reveal yourself to me." He will take care of the rest; if you are truly sincere in knowing the truth, He will not fail to answer your petition.

I guess I'm just another devil worshipping brown person to you.

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

2 Peter 3:9: "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering toward us not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Acts 10: 34, 35 "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him"

God Bless you,

Lightseeker

new topics

top topics

join