It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Should Be Taught In Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well in my school right now (Middle School) They mostly teach us about Evolution but since my family are religious we believe on Creationism. My question is what should Public Schools teach Creationism or Evolution.

I personally think they should teach both. Creationism---->A powerful being created us all (God, Alien etc.) Evolution---->We evolving from monkeys etc.

Mod edit: changed "Thought" to "Taught" in topic title.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In my high school they taught both.

However they taught evolution in biology class, and creation myths in humanities class.

I see no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is teaching the christian creation myth as if it was science. That is unacceptable to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
No one has ever said that we evolved from monkeys. People may have mentioned that monkeys and humans had a common ancestor, but the claim has never been made that humans came from monkeys.

In my school, both curriculum were taught as well. We also learned about the Greek and Roman gods, Norse gods, and a little bit about Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, and Islam. I think that was a history class, but it might have been humanities or something like that...

In my opinion, that was the correct approach and it is a recipe that I don't believe should be altered.

Zip

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
In science lessons students should be taught evolution, since it is a scientific thory, backed up by scientific research and so on.

Creationism should be left in the hands of religious education lessons, as there is not a great deal of science to it.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I would have to agree with Zipdot and Uncle Joe that Creationism or IDT should not be taught in the science class. The proper forum should be in the humanities classes.
I do qualify this though with the following: Since questions will eventually arise in the science class from the students, the teachers should at least be prepared to:
1) point the student to where they can find their answers. Such places as their humanities class, their parents, their preacher, the library, etc.
2) If the question is of a scientific nature which is based off of "bad science" the teacher should at least attempt to instruct the students as to why the question is invalid.

Unfortunately, in today's public schools, when a science teacher is asked these questions, the teacher feels that it "put's them into a confrontational situation". The above quote was from a teacher in Topeka Kansas in response to a problem of students being "lead" by others to ask these questions.
Our teachers feel instead that actually informing the students as to where they can find their answers, or to instruct them why such questions are not valid, the teachers have taken a lesson from the ostrich and are hiding their heads in the sand.
Sorry, I am a proponent of schools as being an institute of education not one that tolerates the attempts to foster ignorance, which is the presnt stance of the public schools.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   

personally think they should teach both. Creationism---->A powerful being created us all (God, Alien etc.) Evolution---->We evolving from monkeys etc.

Why should any irrational faith based personal beleifs like creationism be taught in public schools?

The proper forum should be in the humanities classes.

I think that it would also be interseting to have something like Intelligent Design examined in a philsophy class, but even there it'd probably be more of a 'failed' philosophy than anything else.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
my personal take is creationism is best left to christian chirches or organizations. If you teach creationism, it only fair you touch on at least

7 of the top 15 religions,...

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaVirus
Well in my school right now (Middle School) They mostly teach us about Evolution but since my family are religious we believe on Creationism. My question is what should Public Schools teach Creationism or Evolution.

i think that they, public schools, should not be allowed to teach creationism. i grew up in a very scientific family, and if my parents found out i was wasting time learning this "creationism" stuff they would go mad. if you want to learn it, they teach it in private schools.

ms

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Nothing should be taught in schools accept how to be GAY and happy and live a long life that will help noone else but thierselves

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
Nothing should be taught in schools accept how to be GAY and happy and live a long life that will help noone else but thierselves

Thank you for this incredibly provocative outlook, bet555. You are a gentleman and a scholar, and your comments fascinate and inspire. Your work in the front lines of the investigative field, uncovering the truth about the school system, deserves attention and recognition. I nominate You, Bet555, for a Way Above Top Secret award.

Zip

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It is very simple. AS this is a Christian nation, Creationism can and should be taught. As evolution is not even to the standard of a theory, but at the hypothesis level as anybody from a scientific family can see (I have uncles who are doctors, I guess I should be doing surgery in my spare time! :lol
, it is a bit of a moot point, but the general concept can be taught as well. General, being the key word, as such soft science has little place in K-12.

As a matter of fact, both concepts could be omitted from school and the core subjects and hard sciences be taught and life would be grand. They can save their social reengineering BS for the mainstream media and teach only the real subjects and we'd do far better.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It is very simple. AS this is a Christian nation, Creationism can and should be taught.

I disagree. I am 100% for a seperation of religion and schools (unless, of course, its a class on world religions ) I also am in favor of teaching evolution as a fact, but evolution to explain the origins of man as a theory.

I think the simple solution is to leave creationism for sunday school and church.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
It is very simple. AS this is a Christian nation....

No it's not. It's my nation and I'm not a christian.

I don't believe your unproven myths and there is no scientific basis to teach them to children under the guise of science. It's not science, it's belief.

The real harm to children is in trying to purposely blur the difference between knowledge and belief. The school you want seems little different from those in which muslim children are indoctrinated.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

It is very simple. AS this is a Christian nation, Creationism can and should be taught.

I thought there was 'freedom of religion' in the US consitution?

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas CrowneAs a matter of fact, both concepts could be omitted from school and the core subjects and hard sciences be taught and life would be grand.

Why do you see evolutionary biology as a 'soft' science? Granted, its a little different than mechanical physics.

AS this is a Christian nation, Creationism can and should be taught[/qote]
But creationism has nothing to do with being a christian, a person doesn't need to accept any of the versions of 'scientific creationism', to beleive that creationism is a literal or scientific account of the universe.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Friggen ugh, where we go again. Ironic as hell how quickly you took this thread completely off topic, in less than ten posts.

"Creation and/or Evolution in schools" straight to "this is a Chrsitian nation".

Wonder how long for the famous quotes from the founders falsifying such a statement to be posted.

I take it there is no rule against thread hijacking.

Misfit
American - DAMN sure not Christian

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Christian Nation? Last I checked the Founding Fathers were Free Masons, not christians..... So we are a Mason Nation, not a Christian Nation.

Also, just because you live in fairyland where magical flying elephants and talking snakes are real, doesn't mean the smart people live there.

No smart person believes in a flat earth, center, world flood, magical beings with wings that slaughter millions for being smart, so forth.

Only the people who need a crutch in life have religon. Only people who need something to tell them pedophilia, murder, rape, so forth, need religon. Only people who don't want to deal with what is real need religon. The other smart people will live in a world where evolution, gravity, and the earth revolving around the sun is theory but know it is fact.

I still don't get it, religous people base their life on people who set their daughters on fire for breathing to hard, yet consider smart people evil. Religous people think someone with a brain is evil, but say someone who sacrificed a goat whenever there was a earthquake to please the magical faries in the sky is holy. Religous people condem everything that is real, right, and science, but accept everything that is lies, wrong, and ignorant.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
In a Public school:

In a science class only those things which have been deduced using scientific methods should be taught.

If in some other class you want to present the idea of creationism for discussion that is acceptable, but you can not present it as fact, because then it becomes religious endoctrination, and the school has been turned into a denominational church.

Do not take taxes from me to conscript people to YOUR religion.

When Christians take up academic class time, Satanists will be demanding equal time.

Keep religion out of schools and teach children to read, write, do math and maybe use their minds.
Do not waste taxdollars on religions.

edit: grammar

PS: syrinx high priest,
how many athiest/agnostics are on the planet?
That will tell me how intelligent or not our species is.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by slank]

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Teaching either is non productive, nobody in there teens gives a monkey about science or God. Its only in later life when you think about these things. Most young people think about sex , so thats a plus for the Darwinists who believe we evolved to procreate to keep the species going.
Thats OK till you start thinking about the meaning of life and Darwin is excluded for a God who gives that meaning. Perhaps a bit of both are involved , but i don't know for sure, but its interesting finding out.

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
nobody in there teens gives a monkey about science or God. Its only in later life when you think about these things.

Uh...no.

I'm young--I think about these things now. Maybe I'm one in a million, but I think about these things, and very seriously. But then again, I'm not the majority, and I see where you're coming from.

This issue has been blown out of proportion. In the US, who hasn't heard about intelligent design? Why teach it in school when you have evangelists knocking at your door? You're either for it or against it, and those against it normally criticize it. Either way, you're bound to hear it from one side or the other in a lifetime.

In my school they taught a series of courses called "World Cultures," in which they taught us a few of the most commonly accepted religions in the world--including Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Judaism...though I don't ever remembering them teaching us about the doctrines and belief system of Christianity. I guess it was just assumed that we already knew it, what with all of the fanatics in this area....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join