It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Lawmakers OK Gay Marriage Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Canada's House of Commons voted Tuesday to legalize gay marriage, passing landmark legislation that would grant all same-sex couples in Canada the same legal rights as those in traditional unions between a man and a woman.

The bill passed as expected, despite opposition from Conservatives and religious leaders. The legislation drafted by
Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority Liberal Party government was also expected to easily pass the Senate and become federal law by the end of July.

The Netherlands and Belgium are the only other two nations that allow gay marriage nationwide.

So that makes Canada the third country to fully legalize it.

Nothing more to say here.

Source: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Good, I always liked canadas laws, and now I like them even more.

It is to bad it wont matter if you are gay and get married in Canada than come to the US.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This is good for America, im glad Canada

did this.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by C0le]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
dont worry it will be repealed.forced on canadians without a public vote.lots of cabinets shuffles today also.in september the govenment will be getting there pink slips.just like nafta and it will have the same result.canada is mad about this today......no point venting just take positive action.let your voice be heard canada........

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's about time.

Why two consenting adults can't legalize or formalize their relationship, is beyond me.

If marriage is a religious rite - then the government shouldn't be able to decide which consenting adults may or may not partake.

And if it's not a religious rite - then when the government decides that a certain group may not partake, this is very clearly prejudicial and needs to be addressed very quickly.

There's simply no logical reason to object to this.

Other than perhaps our own petty bigotry.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
It's about time.

Why two consenting adults can't legalize or formalize their relationship, is beyond me.

If marriage is a religious rite - then the government shouldn't be able to decide which consenting adults may or may not partake.

Though I didn't care for him much, Pierre Elliot Trudeau did impart pearls of wisdom from time to time. One of those times was when he declared that the government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Let's move on and discuss something more important...its my feeling that who you do, or what you do is no one's business as long as you're not hurting anyone.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Canada is country comprised of minorities, it has laid down a political system to cherish that uniqueness. To forbid the gay minority the equal right to wed would be taking a step back in what Canadians value the most.

Equal rights for all walks of life...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

i think the quote above means that marriage is a relgious thing and the relegion not the government should be able to chose who can be married depending under which relegion you get married under.

personally i think that gays should be oppressed to much new age tolerance isnt very good.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

personally i think that gays should be oppressed to much new age tolerance isnt very good.

Not clear what you mean here.

Gays should be oppressed more?

New Age tolerance is bad?

Could you please clarify?

joi

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Rock on Canada!
EVERYONE should be allowed to marry the one they love no matter what sex they are.
I personally think banning same sex marriages is a huge violation of equal rights.

new topics

top topics

join