It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this qualify as Big Brother?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Computer model forecasts crime sprees

19:00 13 August 03

Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.

Computer forecasts that predict where and when crimes will happen by analysing past patterns should help police channel resources where they are needed most. The technique, now under trial in the US, could be available for routine use within a year.

www.newscientist.com...

It doesn't spy on individuals, it just predicts patterns of behavior, but isn't there something creepy about it? I suppose criminals of the future will just have to do unpredictable crimes.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It sounds more like the minority report! Predicting crimes is rediculous, to do it properly you need to know exact locations with times and dates.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:56 AM
link   

It sounds more like the minority report! Predicting crimes is rediculous, to do it properly you need to know exact locations with times and dates.

Exactly, it sounds impossible to do.

zed

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You watch too many movies. It uses paterns to predict paterns not specific crimes.

I guess criminals of the future will just have to not commit crimes.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It looks like it's basically saying "Look at the crime hotspots and assign more police units there" - Hardly rocket science, I thought that they were doing this already?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Well, its logical to put police where the crimes are... in Britain it's logical to put more police units in Brixton... or St Pauls in Bristol.
It's still going to be a feat to achieve no matter what anyone says.

new topics

top topics

join