It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargate SG1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ok i dont have any clues about this and i hope this is in the right area!

Is the concept of establishing a stable wormhole for transportation to different parts of the universe theoretically possible?

If not what stands in the way?

And do you think it may be possible "ONE DAY"?

Thanx in advance
General Jack O'Neill SGC

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalTwisted
Ok i dont have any clues about this and i hope this is in the right area!

Is the concept of establishing a stable wormhole for transportation to different parts of the universe theoretically possible?

If not what stands in the way?

And do you think it may be possible "ONE DAY"?

Thanx in advance
General Jack O'Neill SGC

In Theory, maybe, but to a very limited extent, because we, humans, still have way to little understanding of how "space" is really contructed.
But as long as Wormholes aren't proven to exist, theory's about them can only go so far since the actual properties of the wormholes aren't known, neither are the actual properties of space itself.
Same goes for Subspace, Hyperspace, black holes, warping space and so on.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I heard something about being able to pump dark energy into a black hole, creating a hollow cylinder of space that will allow a ship to pass through the event horizon (normally the event horizon would keep you there so that thousands of years would pass while you experience the equivalent of a few minutes, or something like that).

However, there are obvious problems with this. The first being that we aren't even sure what dark energy is. We know that there is 'something' that repels gravity, and is responsible for the acceleration of the universe (the universe would not be accelerating if this repulsive force didn't exist), but thus far we have not succeeded in detecting it. The second problem is that we don't know enough about black holes to do this for a LONG time. The third major reason is that even if we discover dark energy or matter, and learn all there is to know about black holes, we have to GET to one. The closest black hole to Earth is 1600 light years away!

But according to the theory, dark energy would be used because of its repulsive properties. It is thought that enough of this energy could force the black hole open long enough and wide enough for a ship to pass through and not be crushed or trapped in time. Just forgot, some other problems would involve harnessing the energy, and controlling it near a black hole. So...according to theory this might work, but saying that this is possible with dark energy is like saying, "we'll solve this problem just as soon as we build a skyscraper on the tip of a pin". Many hurdles have to be jumped first.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I believe the real problem with wormholes is not so much the energy but the effect of gravity on an object travelling through space.If we could find a way to negate that effect then we would then be on our way to creating a wormhole.I feel the energy usage would be minimal,perhaps not even reaching the terawatt range if we could do that.Also we would have to solve other problems first,such as mapping the interplanetary gravitational fields and learning how to navigate them.otherwise we would crash into a planet.Whoever came up with the planetary drift cartouche idea on Stargate is pretty smart.Maybe we should put our minds to task with the blah part of the puzzle before looking at how to harness a black star.What do you think?Any ideas?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Yeah, navigation would definately be a problem. I guess you could open a hole and send in a drone or something to scout out the area. However, what if a wormhole ended up at an undesirable location? You'd have to find a way to take some sort of 'off ramp' to get where you want. Who knows if that's even possible to do without wrecking the ship?

Maybe John Crichton from Farscape will have some answers
. After all, it seems he'll be joining the new Stargate season.

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
if it is real- somone should do some serious research and searching throught the internet. talking to nasa, government etc.... then write a report and post it here

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If it did exist and the Government was open about it. Trust me everyone would know, it wouldn't just be a muffled expirament.

The thing about Stargate is, most everything on the show has some theoretic backing. The ideas come from the great minds of our century and the SG writers incorporate it into the episode. It really helps people understand the theories better, its not so abstract if they can see it, and then fit a show around it.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i already feel that the us is already in possesion of such a device, it wouldd explain the leap in our tech over the last 20 years, also i feel that the stargate was a gift to us from the aliens that crashed at roswell supposedly 2 beings survived the crash were not the first civilation that has be technologicaly advanced on this planet

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Here is a link to a BBC report on the latest wormhole research..

BBC

Although it mentions a wormhole as a time-travel device, the research could be used to refer to any type of wormhole

In the related links bit on the right hand side of the page are links to the Uni's research etc....

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well if you can dream it you can do it. That is the actual limit of things. Humans know very little about space so I believe it is entirely possible, even if science still doesn't know how.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Supposedly there is a rumor about the existance of "stargate" like tech/monunent somewhere in iraq...

www.wintersteel.com...

The Ancient STARGATE In Iraq??

Before the invasion of Iraq, there was rumor and wide speculation that some sort of an ancient Annunaki "stargate" had been found by Saddam Hussein buried beneath ancient ruins of the Babylonian Empire. It was also rumored that in the deal arranged between Israel and the United States prior to the Iraq invasion that Israel would gain control of the Iraqi oil recourses, and that the U.S. would have the exclusive rights to any "exotic" alien technologies found by coalition forces...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
so if there is a stargate found in iraq and sadam hosain found it why did he say anything and why dont we have it now???/

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowstriker
so if there is a stargate found in iraq and sadam hosain found it why did he say anything and why dont we have it now???/

I dont know...IMO, if the powers to be had indeed find a stargate like monument, why should they reveal the public...

Then the would have to explain themselve about WMD excuse they use to invade Iraq....

Just a thought...

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
because there the government they really dont care what hapens. if it is real i belive they would have a decoy like the attack on iraq

join