It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of taxes that didn't exist a century ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I received this from a friend in e-mail.

TAXES
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
Capital Gains Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Court Fines
(indirect taxes)
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax
(FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax
Gasoline Tax
(42 cents per gallon)
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax Interest expense
(tax on the money)
Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges
(tax on top of tax)
IRS Penalties
(tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Local Income Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Septic Permit Tax
Service Charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Taxes
(Truckers)
Sales Taxes
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Road Toll Booth Taxes
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax
(SUTA)
Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and
local surcharge taxes
Telephone mi nimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Toll Bridge Taxes
Toll Tunnel Taxes
Traffic Fines
(indirect taxation)
Trailer Registration Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
COMMENTS:
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the hell happened

------------------------------------------------

It is sad, especially knowing that income tax was NEVER supposed to touch the non-rich.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I would like to add that a good portion of those taxes had little or no reason to exist 100 years ago. I mean, think about it, in 1900 there wasn't a strong enough demand for gasoline to warrant any type of tax on it--all that would have done is make the purchase of gasoline-based engines even less appealing. Same with the communication taxes (ie telephone); the telephone industry was still pretty young then. Taxing it would have just prevented it from getting much of a foothold.

Hunting and fishing were still a minor role in people's survival out in the lesser developed areas at the time; that'd be like the government taxing your loaf of bread at the grocery store today. Also, I'm not even sure if most of those licenses--CDL, Dog, Fishing, Hunting--were even issued at the time. As far as the cigarette and liqour taxes go though, those are mainly "sin" taxes that have only been in place a relatively short amount of time.

I'm not trying to completely knock the post; it's pretty bad no matter how you look at it. But at the same time, it was a different world back then, and as the society changes so do the things the government sees it can make money off of.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Look into you wallet and look at the picture with Washington on it..

That is what happened, people are to into what the next best thing is.

This is becoming a problem with society.

We are not how we used to be, living live for our family. I bet if you had to save either your wallet with 200 bucks or your kid from falling off a cliff I bet most would pick the wallet.. Cause think about it, whats the kid going to give you... Alot of problems...

Also life is more MTV and who goes the biggest ass or better hair or who is screwing who, or who started a war for no reason...

We as humans I think are the most #ed up species on this or any other planet.

We can give a rats ass less about god/spiritallity..

But at least we got all the money on the planet.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Very interesting post, but I think another thing that may (or may not) put this in a larger perspective is what taxes existed 100 years ago but do not exist today. Could there be a relative evenness in regards to taxes that existed 100 years ago and those that exist today? As one tax was removed, was another added so that really 'nothing went wrong', everything kind of stayed the same. I'll have to do a internet search and see if this could be the case...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I have always thought we should do away with all the hidden taxes and just give everyone a bill on April 14th for their entire amount due the next day and then April 16th, have election day!

If all these taxes are justified, why not just remove the red tape and just do it in one big lump some? I think you'd find a great many of our politicians would become a bit more conservative in their spending and a little less apt to push so many taxes.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Most of our tax dollars go to service the interest on debt, never the debt itself. And it doesn't matter where you live (except the Isle of Guernsey). When countries gave up the right to coin and print their own money, in favour of borrowing it from private bankers, poof, the need for income and most other forms of taxes.

Until countries take back the right to do this, and the banks practices are not reformed (fractional reserve banking), this is our lot in life. In the U.S. the Federal Reserve of 1913 is a private entity which prints money on behalf of the government and lends it at interest. Funnily enough, in the same year, the British North America act in Canada was amended without referendum and the Bank Act was born. Both countries have been victims of the biggest scam since. Monetary reform is a must!

So Let's pop the bubble of ignorance, starting now. Click on the thread and watch the fasinating documentary The Money Masters

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Lets not the Marihuana Stamp Tax act of 1937 that made it prohibitive for anyone to buy cannabis for food, fuel, fiber or medecine, and has been a source of profit for criminals and state sanctioned racist scum for the past 70+ years.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Follks: Hope most of you are aware by now of the flawed nature of the supposed list of taxes that didn't exist 100 years ago. First, many of the "taxes" are actually fees, charged only to the users of the services, not to the general taxpayer.

Second, quite a few DID exist 100 years ago. These include marriage license FEE, fishing license FEE, hunting license FEE, automobile registration FEE, building permit FEE, dog license FEE, liquor tax, tobacco tax, inheritance tax, property/real estate tax (listing them separately is redundant), and school tax (public schools are and have been tax supported, so by definition any tax that supports public education is a school tax, whether it's on income, sales or property). Others, such as the income tax and the telephone excise tax, had been previously imposed but were not then in effect. Let's see, 10 wrong out of 45 (the number of most lists on this topic). A strict instructor would count off double for guessing w wrong answer, so the grade for this exercise would be 25/45, or 56 percent -- failing in any school I know of.

JD Reed

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCFusion
Very interesting post, but I think another thing that may (or may not) put this in a larger perspective is what taxes existed 100 years ago but do not exist today.

Excellent point. I was on a historical tour a few years back and the tour guide pointed out that the owners of a house had to pay a tax on each window in the house, cause a window was considered a luxury back then.

Taxes change with the times.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
14% of those employed work directly for the US government. That does not count privately employed individuals, like safety and enviornmental officers...That is where the money goes to pay for the huge beauracratic machine as well as the interest on the debt

How about we demand Congress spent the next twenty years REPEALING laws instead of creating new ones. Or we could use the other method, a revolution and start with a clean slate.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
How about we demand Congress spent the next twenty years REPEALING laws instead of creating new ones. Or we could use the other method, a revolution and start with a clean slate.

Realistically neither of those two events will happen.

Congress is under the direct influence of Isreal, so they have no interest in doing anything to benifit American citizens.

And there will not be an organized assult on the capital because no one can afford to take a couple weeks off of work and pay for the gas and ammunition neccesary. It is possible that Russian communists might be willing to, help Americans fight for thier freedom and fund an insurgency on U.S. soil. How organized such an effort could be is debatable.

There is more likely to be a complete breakdown of society followed by complete anarchy. First you will notice an increase in domestic violence, followed by an increase in the divorce rate and a breakdown in the family unit. Ignorance and apathy will increase, there will be an increased gap between the haves and have nots, rich people will become increasingly arrogant and condensending, traditional values will be thrown out the window, lying will become the norm, propaganda will be rampant and the elite will attempt to maintain control through deception, force and warfare. Warfare is kind of like a jobs program for pissed off poor people.

As the richest 1% begin to lose even this amount of influence on the population they will resort to more medieval methods of control, including but not limited to extorsion, blackmail, imprisionment, kidnapping, torture and murder.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Ya know whats really funny?

2000 years from now - society is going to look back on us with the same disgust and foul disposition as we do today when looking back at stories in the bible talking about tax collectors

back then there was ONE tax

this list today only gives us the tip of the ice burg

We have so many taxes because war is so expensive

Thats the only reason.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
First you will notice an increase in domestic violence, followed by an increase in the divorce rate and a breakdown in the family unit. Ignorance and apathy will increase, there will be an increased gap between the haves and have nots, rich people will become increasingly arrogant and condensending, traditional values will be thrown out the window, lying will become the norm, propaganda will be rampant and the elite will attempt to maintain control through deception, force and warfare.

Wait a minute, aren't we already seeing ALL of this?

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
damn that list made me all queasy.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join