It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

spielberg confused by decrease in UFO sightings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I just thought this was interesting; any comments to the question Spielburg raises?

www3.contactmusic.com...

SPIELBERG CONFUSED BY DECREASE IN UFO SIGHTINGS

Oscar-winning director STEVEN SPIELBERG is baffled that fewer UFO sightings are made now than were made twenty years ago - because the technology to record would-be aliens is so commonplace today.

The 59-year-old film-maker has made a string of alien-themed movies - CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, ET: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL and WAR OF THE WORLDS - and is disappointed it seems he'll never get the chance to see evidence of a UFO himself.

Spielberg says, "There are millions of video cameras out there and they're picking up less videos of UFOs, alleged UFOs, than we picked up in the 1970s and 1980s. There's 150 per cent more cameras, so why are we getting less from up there?

"I think that we all know that we're not alone in the universe. I can't imagine that we are the only intelligent biological life form out there. I'm a little less sure in my fifties that I was in my late twenties whether we're actually ever going to find out."

28/06/2005 02:04

(mod edit to remove CAPS from title)

[edit on 28-6-2005 by pantha]

[edit on 28-6-2005 by ferretman]

[edit on 6/28/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Okay... I see his point but what statistics is he basing this on??

From what I hear around here (and on CNN) UFO sightings and Triangular Shaped Craft sightings in particular have been on the rise since 2000 or so...

Makes me wonder about his motivations for saying such a seemingly unfounded thing - tho I doubt he's trying to spread disinfo - he's more likely simply another ill-informed famous Hollywood personality.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
In the past Spielberg has worked closely with the J Allen HYnek Center for UFO Studies... so I imagine that he is basing this on their data.

To be frank, even with triangle sightings (which are suspected to be USAF or USN craft), there really haven't been as many big sighting waves as there were in the 50s and 60s. Sure... there seems to be one big sighting a year, but we have to remember that there once was a period when there were several big sightings every summer.

If true... what does this mean? Some possibilities:
1)UFOs always were (mostly) BS and modern equipment has shown that what would have been considered a flying saucer in 1965 is now clearly seen as a loose weather balloon.

2)The public is better educated and so less prone to hysteria nowadays.

3)The public still sees the same amount of UFOs but is afraid to report them

4)There are actually less UFO 'visits' per year. The aliens have (mostly) finished whatever project they had going and so now are seen less often.

5)There is an active defense against UFOs (SDI) and so any UFO that comes down is likely to get vaporized... thus there are fewer sightings

6) UFOs seem to have always had the ability to 'jump' about the sky and 'cloak' upon detection. They simply use these abilities more, nowadays, because they know people have camcorders

[edit on 28-6-2005 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Yes - well - all of those reasons could be valid...

I frankly tend to lean towards 1 and 2, with a little of 3 mixed in (not so much afraid as just embarrased)

The Internet has however helped let people report things they otherwise might not have... (and let hoaxers flourish as well)

Again, I would like to actually see the raw data he is basing these claims on for my own interest.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think Spielberg is confused and making a remark not based on research but a personal observation. We spend much less time looking at the sky than we did back in the 40's-60's. We just spend more time indoors working and on computers/TV. So the less we watch the sky, the less video tape footage we will record. Make sense? Think about how much time you spend each day looking at the sky? Maybe 5-10 minutes total?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
or maybe someone is doing a much better job of suppressing the footage.
Maybe dis-info agents have made concealing that kind of info, into a fine art.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Also, people could find more "normal" to see some strange things in the air from time to time and not make a big deal about it.

Also like the suppressing argument, we all know how much the media is controlled directly or indirectly

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
A decrease in sightings does not necessarily mean a lessening of alien influence. Retired Sgt. Clifford Stone of the Disclosure Project stated that there are probably "twelve or fewer" full-scale operational alien bases around the planet.

Photography and video technology has significantly improved since the 1970s. Additionally, awareness about alien activities has also significantly increased since that time. It behooves the Zetans to keep their probes and manned spacecraft optically invisible when close to the ground and subject to a plethora of surveillance equipment that wasn't around to the same extent thirty years ago.

There's another reason...

It is much easier to fake UFO footage today than in the 1970s. Those who are sincere in their documentation of unknown craft in our skies have even greater ridicule to face than before. If they have cheesy but valid UFO footage that can be easily faked using mediocre photoshop equipment, they are less likely to even bother bringing that footage to the public's attention.

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Paul_Richard]

SMR

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I saw this and posted it in the 'Prophet Yahweh Maybe Real UFO?? Footage. View now!!!' thread.I didnt see this one, sorry.
Reason I posted it was because many believe it to be a PR stunt for the movie perhaps.
It all seems to go together a little.
War of the Worlds coming out.Prophet Yahweh all of a sudden coming out with his UFO thing and being a large sighting just around the time the movie comes out.Now we have Spielberg making this statement.....things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Could be nothing, but just thought it was funny to see.

[edit on 28-6-2005 by SMR]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
. . . the "spirit of the age."

The 50's and 60's in America were a period of incredible social upheaval. People had an "apocalyptic" feeling, that we were living on the brink of global doom.

In developing nations currenlty undergoing incredible social upheaval--places like Mexico and Iran, there have been major UFO "flaps" in the last five years. In places where the public is "doing something" about social change, they don't see as many UFO's. For instance, the Baltic states saw a lot of UFO reports until they gained independence. Then suddenly . . . silence, just like in the developed west.

As far as Spielberg is concerned, maybe the aliens have decided there's no intelligent life on the left coast, and that's why he sees only dark skies.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Speilberg is playing dis-info, as his last mini-series Taken SHOWS he knows ALL he wants to from the government..
Taken is the way things really are~

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is pretty far out there, but what if alien's cloaking technologies only cloak against higher-tech cameras (THEIR cameras? Some speculate that lots of our technology is from them), since they overestimated us? Then, there would be less appearing on cameras accidentaly because their cloaking kicked in for those cameras.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShreddedIce
This is pretty far out there, but what if alien's cloaking technologies only cloak against higher-tech cameras (THEIR cameras? Some speculate that lots of our technology is from them), since they overestimated us? Then, there would be less appearing on cameras accidentally because their cloaking kicked in for those cameras.

I guess I need to clarify this...

EM stealth cloaking technology is effective against all conventional cameras and video recording equipment, as well as the naked eye.

Back in 1943, the US Navy conducted the infamous Philadelphia Experiment to try and make a vessel invisible to radar. What they got was not only radar stealth but what is termed "optical invisibility." The Zetans have perfected this technology and can generate a strong electromagnetic field around their spaceships and probes (without hurting the occupants), enabling them to be optically invisible. Whenever you see a UFO disappear in a glow of light, that is what is happening; they are not teleporting away, they are just throwing the EM switch in order to engage a cloaking device

EM stealth means that there are a lot more Zetan spacecraft and probes in our skies, monitoring us and hunting us, than we are generally aware of.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Spielberg may be a great ufo film-maker, he is nevertheless very badly informed like the majority of people. Weekly files such as Filer's Files or UFO Roundup, clearly show that, on the contrary, sightings are highly increasing.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Musclor
Spielberg may be a great ufo film-maker, he is nevertheless very badly informed like the majority of people. Weekly files such as Filer's Files or UFO Roundup, clearly show that, on the contrary, sightings are highly increasing.

Excellent point.

Not only are UFO sightings on the rise (many of which are unofficial) but also the incidents of Grey kidnappings. Many are fighting a quiet war with aliens.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Spielberg is mistaken. Like Musclor said, UFO sightings have increased not decreased. More of them are being caught on film than ever before...

So maybe he just thinks this because he hasn't been paying as much attention to the phenomenon. Back in the 70s when he was making Close Encounters he would probably be much more likely to pay attention to UFO reports and actively research the subject. Now...not so much.

And just to dispute the whole "it's a cultural dillusion" thing, I don't think that the appearance of UFOs have changed much over the last 50-60 years. Back in the 50s people saw flying disc types and balls of light. They still do. It's just that now there are new kinds of craft being seen, such as the triangles. New spaceship design, new alien race, back-engineered human craft, who knows?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Then again, one could say that all the fuzz about statements such as this only makes more people go to Spielbergs new movie.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I saw an interesting interview with Spielberg just the other day. I think it was promo for War of The Worlds and was on a Movie Review show.

Anyway, they asked him if he's had any word from the government or military about Aliens actually exsisting, slipping him a wink or a quiet nod rather than taking him to an Ultra-7 clearance base for example.

His response was very odd. He started fidgiting in his seat, touching his chin, eyes went wide, stammered and eventually come out with a comment about how he's good friends with a few Presidents and that they've never told him anything and that he doesn't think they even know.

Basically, comparing his body language to the rest of the interview, he really looked uncomfortable answering that question as if he's not a natural liar but knows that he had to obviously say he's in the dark along with his Presidential friends. If anything, it looked like he does know some interesting things and like he'd love to tell everyone but part of the deal was that he couldn't.

Maybe on his death bed he'll let some things out?

[edit on 30-6-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
If you look at NUFORC's reports page sitings have been gradually increasing (probably due to increased internet access to report them), but still fluctuate alot from month to month. May 2005 seems to have alot more British sitings than most of the other months on record i've browsed through.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
TheShroudOfMemphis,

Heh Heh - that's Excellent!

I once read a good book on lie detection and interrogation techniques - and watching peoples body language on TV was one of the authors main suggestions for lie detection practice.

It's amazing when you watch some of the old Nixon TV tapes as well - man that guys body was practically testifying against hime the whole time he spoke!

Good Catch!!

[edit on 30-6-2005 by TruthMagnet]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join