It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Fusion plant being built in France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I thought this was still science fiction, but obviouslly not. Im guessing somebodys already posted this but just incase nobody has,

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Hi Genius,

I think when you say you thought it was still science fiction, you might have been referring to cold fusion, which really hasn't been achieved in a repeatable/reliable fashion.

Get a load of this statement from that article:

One kilogram of fusion fuel would produce the same amount of energy as 10,000,000 kg of fossil fuel.

That'll go along way toward moving away from hydrocarbons!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Very good news. ive been waiting for this.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusSage
I thought this was still science fiction, but obviouslly not. Im guessing somebodys already posted this but just incase nobody has,

news.bbc.co.uk...

I would call this a "research reactor" instead of a "plant." It's not going to push a single kilowatt onto the grid, and will in all likelihood never put out more than 60% of the energy it uses.

We're really no closer to fusion power generation than we were 25 years ago.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMorden

We're really no closer to fusion power generation than we were 25 years ago.

I heartily disagree. We have been able to fuse several (more?) atoms, which is more than we did 25 years ago. We also understand what is required to fuse atoms in a manner that creates a readily available source of energy. While we may not be able to fuse atoms in the massive amounts that we need to form a large chunk of our energy production, at least we'll have a sufficient research platform to start our journey to FINALLY get some electricity without it running out or blowing up half the country.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hehe nah i wasnt thinking of cold fusion... i was talking about a commercially viable nuclear fusion plant. I thought we were decades off!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusSage
Hehe nah i wasnt thinking of cold fusion... i was talking about a commercially viable nuclear fusion plant. I thought we were decades off!

We are still decades away, but in order for it to be so we have to build test reactors, cuz if we don't those decades will turn into centuries...

top topics

join