It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game "brain damage" claim criticised

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Claims by a Japanese surgeon that computer games can damage the brain have been greeted with scepticism by psychologists and neuroscientists.

www.newscientist.com...

In my opinion video games don't cause violence because i have played violent games throughout my teenage years and hasn't caused me to become violent! I think everyone has the ability to be violent and some people enjoy being violent whilst others don't like it. Although violence can be brought out in a person from viewing it at a young age and not knowing all the implications!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
As a youthcounselor i can say this is not the case, there are studies claiming the opposite, that it benefits your problem sovling thingking, hand -eye coördination and much more

If anything i think wars the media are more responsible then any video game, in fact videogame are often used in therapy, they can be used as a channelor of agression, which would manifest itself otherwise if it dien't get channeled out of yer head.

i would let my kids play games anyday over watching the news and seeign another bloody day in [insert military conflict zone here].

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   

[edit on 28-6-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Yeah i agree it helps problem solving, hand-eye co-ordination.

I also agree i would let my (hypothetical) kids play games over watching the news involving bloodshed!

But i just don't think video games can cause violence...or if they could then i think there should be games where the consequences of the violent actions should be shown.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, Fable is violent, killing beast, Balverines, or evil and kill people.

GTA ANy Game is violent, but so much fun!!! Spend ovber an hour just running people over with a tank is so much fun. Especially when the military comes out with their tanks.

WWE Smackdown Series is violent, but fun. WWE Raw sucks, but I guess it is violent.(bad graphics, bad game play, no storylines, sucks so much)

Madden Series is violent, tackle, tackle, push push slam tackle, so violent.

But guess what? STILL FUN! I don't wanna sit around and play Barney's ABC Blast! 4, but give me an hour with State of Emergency and watch me overthrow the corporation by taking out a cinnabun. "Saving the Princess is for P*$$ies!" Lewis Black on PS2/Games.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well I agree that some games might cause brain damage, like Superman 64, honestly scaring kids into believing they can be stuck inside walls.

But seriously in comparison to the rest of the media (thinks MTV), video games are a lot more beneficial. After playing Black Hawk Down, it completly changed my perspective. Instead of viewing situations like that as "cool" I now treat the men and women involved in them with a lot more respect.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
u know what causes violence??? Dragon Ball Z! yep... not video games... in Israel u can see 7 year olds yelling "kamea mea mea!" or something at eachother and runing at their friends hitting them and saying that this is their final form and they yell and scream and try to get crazy yellow hair
(im not kidding):

new topics

top topics

join