It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uninformative And Deceptive Headlines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I have found more and more headers starting with things like "Is This Real", "Why Are You Supporting This?". And other similar headlines that do nothing to inform the reader as to the content of the post.

I just want to encourage all members to add a clear and concise headline that lets the reader know something about the topic before you click to read the thread.

I don't want to dump on anyone, and most posters do give an acurate header to their new threads, but I find some that seem to be designed to attract the most attention, or are so vague as to give the reader no choice but to look.

I hope we can rise above sensationalism on ATS and present the facts as we know them without embelishment, deception or coy headlines.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Very Good point anxietydisorder.

The title should give some indication of the post contents.

I'll say now that for myself I don't bother reading posts with titles above.

What is more, I'm not the only one.

The is no curiousity factor with obscure or obtuse titles.

So if you want your post read then title it apropriately.

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Them "journalists" are yeller..
I have to admit to clicking on them often though.
Then I am usually disappointed
But I do make a mental note of the poster for future reference. ...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I know of one topic in PTS where members shied away beacause of the title.
It was a bit sensational and members don't want a rant or slug-fest when discussing ideas in non-ranting fora.

While authors wish to have a title that grabs the attention of other members, sometimes the title are too much like the "breaking news" syndrome on IRL news channels

edit: spelling

[edit on 28-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Have to say I agree with JB1. Threads with headers like, "OMG You HAVE to check this out!" or "I have a question..." are indicative of a thread lacking in substance, and thus my signal to skip-a-roo to the next one. With a minute amount of forethought, you can be make an attention-grabbing title whilst still describing the topic to the potential reader.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Although the sensationalistic ones do kinda irk me a little, the main ones I have a problem with are the misleading ones, something like "Is this real?" and the poster goes on to say something to the effect of "No, it isn't, and if you believe in it you're ignorant." Even worse is when they lead you on for a couple of posts before their true colors start to show.

There's quite a few posters I've seen who are notorious for this; I'll go in to the thread expecting a chance to learn something or teach someone something, and it ends up turning into a he said/she said argument, most often about something that can't be proven one way or the other anyways.

Is there anything the mods can do? Is this even a violation of the T&C? IMO it should be, with maybe a (comparatively) small warn penalty or something, after requesting the poster to change the title. I don't mind the flaming evolution vs. creationist match every once in a while, or getting fired up on whether or not reptilians were behind 9/11, but I'm not that crazy about a thread being displayed as truth seeking when it's merely an attempt to draw out the members who don't agree with you so you can screw with them.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think this is a deceptive little trick people are using to up the number of replies/views they get....As you mentioned - sensationalism....

It often seems the most indiscreet of posts and thread titles garner the highest amount of replies simply b/c it creates board drama and endless bickering....

It's much like these eBay items up for sale - Sometimes the title of the auction has absolutely nothing to do with the item being sold - But somehow it will miraculously attract bidders...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
maybe the posters do not have "board experience"...

it may not be their fault...

just a thought...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This part of ATS is a free-for-all discussion forum which invites adults and children alike to participate to whatever level their ability allows.

There are no journalistic standards that I have seen for news headlines and the only intervention in them could come from the author or a staff member.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
This part of ATS is a free-for-all discussion forum which invites adults and children alike to participate to whatever level their ability allows.

There are no journalistic standards that I have seen for news headlines and the only intervention in them could come from the author or a staff member.

that was the best answer (or reply) to this guy's post...

exactly on point...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
People want to attact views and comments. They give their threads the most sensational title possible. Let's face it, not everyone is a good copy editor. Good headlines are hard to create. We mods and council members could encourage members to try and title our threads appropriately.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
People want to attact views and comments. They give their threads the most sensational title possible. Let's face it, not everyone is a good copy editor. Good headlines are hard to create.

Good or bad title is not the major issue. The main point here is making a title that gives the reader at least some indication of what the topic of the thread is. Of course we can't and wouldn't want to enforce some sort of arbitrary "journalistic standard", but I don't think reminding/encouraging members to choose a title that appropriate to the content as anxietydisorder has done here is too out of line. Otherwise the board may eventually look like this:

[edit on 2005/6/29 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

I fully realize that ATS is made up of a very diverse community of members. Not all members have a full command of the English language and I know some of our members are young, and not all adults have the same level of education.
Hell, my spelling must be laughable at times and I don't always make my points in a clear and concise manner. But those things should be forgiven and taken at face value, we all make mistakes and we are not always right.

I don't want to suggest imposing any "journalistic standards" on any member, infact, I encourage everyone to post your hearts out to the best of your ability.

It truly is the diversity that makes this board such a great place.

My only point in this ramble was to encourage people to include a reference to the subject in their headlines, and not be deceptive as to the content. It can only add to quality of ATS, and enhance the experience for everyone.

Thanks for listening, I'll shut-up now......

new topics

top topics

join