It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MTV and VH1 - The Early Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
What ever happened to MTV and VH1 when they ACTUALLY played music videos?! Hence the words: MUSIC TELEVISION. It's nothing but reality shows, game shows, the lives of married celebrities, how much money a celebrity makes...It’s purely celebrity worship! Nowadays, you’re lucky if you could catch an hour of non-stop music videos. Oh wait, I forgot, they show music videos around 6am in the morning. Hmmm...let’s see here, people are sleeping or too busy getting ready for school/work/etc. Good job “music television.” And with the type of trash that’s shown on those stations, it completely disgraces and insults the art of music videos.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
LOL most of the music is crap anywayz....

but yeah, worshipping the false idols, i surely wont let my children watch that crap

at least we had beavis&butthead....huh huh....tipi for your bunghole

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by freethinkersaredangerous
What ever happened to MTV and VH1 when they ACTUALLY played music videos?! Hence the words: MUSIC TELEVISION.

I can't tell you how many times I've felt that way.
It's not like there's a shortage of videos out there.
They could at least play some classics to fill the gaps if there's no new videos that appeal to their audience.

I used to watch Much Music a lot but it's not available at my cable company.
They used to actually play music.

Watching VH1 is way different, they'll just play a few seconds of video and then have some TV personality come on and trash it, like Rachel Perry (sp?) who used to be on Much Music when I watched it. They also have their reality shows and stuff. The only ones I liked were the 'Behind the Music' specials and 'Bands Reuinited'. Those are decent.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
its been a long time since i had mtv, but dont they play the videos on mtv 2 etc. much music has its own "sections" much loud, much vibe etc.

i make my own music. couple of guitars, couple of amps, i jam the stuff i like and thats it.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Yeah really, the only times you will find a good stream of music videos are late at night into the early morning. Either way it's all littered with this manufactured lifestyle that changes with whats cool. Once month rap, then pop, then boybands. MTV influences millions and millions of people, i'll give them that much, but that is not saying they are a good influence.

Oh well that's the good thing about all that crazy cable sattelite stuff(which i dont have
) there are some channels that play only music videos.

But yes you are definately right.

MUSIC television.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yeah and what kills me is when they actually DO play videos, it’s nothing but the latest artists of today. I want to see more of Nirvana, Led Zeppelin...But it’s completely impossible. It’s unheard of. That’s why I hold such hatred for the so-called “music television” we have today. The only videos they play are not even music!!! For example, Britney Spears has no musical talent. Her voice is a complete joke and she lip syncs her lyrics when she performs live. The actual “music” being played in her songs are produced by computers.

Take Led Zeppelin live, as I previously mentioned. They didn’t need to alter their voices on their records, they didn’t need to alter the music. None of that. Listen to THEM live and it will sound just as good as their records.

WHERE IS THE ACTUAL MUSIC THESE DAYS?!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Haha, exactly.

I think the only place to find good music to watch is where I find it.. Either live or music dvd's. Live is always fun, but sometimes rather expensive and rowdy, so dvd's are the best bet.

I know what you mean about the stuff they play not even being music. Look at pretty much any (c)rap you see on TV.

Also I wanted to post this because these threads are pretty similiar.
"Video Killed The Radio Star"

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
MTV is all about branding, about selling something.
That is why you won't see old videos on there, they know the "old videos" people
are no longer buying the BS they were sold as kids, and in fact would be embarassed
to be caught watching the crap they were so into when they first got pubic hair...and were applying too much hair spray.

The videos on MTV have always been about who was paying to put them on there. It wasn't like "This song is the best, lets play it over and over", it was "Pepsi wants Madonna on 24/7, we will put Madonna on 24/7, thats what they paid for".

I worked in the music video industry for a bit, it quickly loses its flavor and with that I lost all taste for musicians in general.

Now I only eat chicken.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
geesshhhh you guys hit it dead on...........i was watching MTV the night it came on the air and was a dedicated MTV viewer forEVER..........

now the only time i watch MTV is if i happen to HEAR a song i like but alas..........its usually tied to a commerical for something else! hahahaaa

i watch VH1 occasionally because they do those "I LOVE THE 70's,80's 90's" and they will play music from the year they're focusing on.......so that's cool

i confess i am becoming MUCH more of a CMT (country music tv) fan. they DO still play LOTS of music and i will watch it.

its a sad sad day for us..............when "I WANT MY MTV" changed to "I WANT MY MTV TO GO AWAY...........or at least play 2 songs an HOUR"!!!!

angie

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
MTV is about promoting MTV. Everything is crosspromoted. By NOT showing music on MTV, they are encouraging subcription to the OTHER MTV products (I think there are 4 or 5 availabel on digital cable)

Like it or not, MTV has been immensely successful in shaping popular culture, particualrly teen culture. It is one of the reasons that every mall in every part of the US has kids that look exactly the same. About the only thing that changes is the name of the collleges on the hoodies.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
my cable system has like 4 MTV's and 2 VH-1's. All they are doing is expanding so they can focus on each demographic. Old fuddy duddies like me watch VH-1 classic, the young kids today listen to their crazy rap on mtv raps or whatever

new topics

top topics

join