It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Video Killed the Radio Star"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I agree.

But as they say seeing is beliving. Some things you see it is better than listening it on the Radio example sports.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ah yes...

Well if Video Killed the Radio Star, then MTV Killed the Video Star.

It's a very strange situation really because what everyone envisioned was "supposed to happen" never did.

What was supposed to happen was MTV was going to blow radio off the map since logically speaking radio was only sound, and MTV was sound and video. You would be able to see your favorite bands every day from the comfort of your own home playing the songs you love.

This of course was before the days of MTV broadcasting 10 annoying people living together, or a peculiar looking man harassing elderly people on the street. Music lovers no longer tune to MTV to see videos. I'd sooner put on Fuse or VH1 Classic.

MTV's problem is no music programming. Radio's problem is too many commercials.

In that sense Satellite killed the whole bunch of them didn't it? Strictly music, in a form where you can pick from hundreds of channels depending on your preferred genre. No commercials. Just music.

MTV will rename itself Annoying Reality Television, FM will become as widely listened to as AM, and Satellite will be the home of those who actually love music.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I hate there Tolerance and AIDS ads its stupid.

most of there comercail i really dont understand it and its just dumb or distfusting like there show 'Jackass' that does not have any meaning in life.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
MTV will rename itself Annoying Reality Television, FM will become as widely listened to as AM, and Satellite will be the home of those who actually love music.

Got a problem with this D, Annoying Reality Television. I don't think you can call this ART.

On a serious note, music is for the ears and the mind, not the ears, eyes and the mind, unless you're at a concert.
I have serious doubts about music after 1974, even though I listen to it.

I'm not comdenming todays tunes but if you compare anything to what was produced in the 70's to today, Pfft, cakewalk. Peppers, GD, Theory, SOAD? Compare that to sitting in your room listening to scratchy Sabbath, DP, early Queen, get my drift? Damn, you guys missed the LP. OK, it skipped once in a while if your younger brother got a hold of it but that was the character of the time. MAN, I wish I still had a turntable that worked.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have serious doubts about music after 1974, even though I listen to it.

ICompare that to sitting in your room listening to scratchy Sabbath, DP, early Queen, get my drift?

Oh man, I get your drift. I could not agree more with you. Somewhere bands went from being talented, good, and popular to just popular, manufactured and popular.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Its business. polpularity makes money

For example the simpsons sister they act even sing but they got there own show. Ashly simpson is ugly,untalent and many many screwup why should she have a show even before she got an album.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Ha ha,

BlackOctober and Intrepid are obviously two old rockers who sit about listening to crackly old tracks on a phonogram complaining about 'the youth of today'.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Veltro -
so right! I'm hitting a Billy Corgan concert tonight, and I think he's a perfect example of what's being talked about here. He's a skinny, bald, very white guy, with a bizzare voice and unclassifiable music. Thus, despite the success he had in the 90's with the smashing pumpkins, he's finding he can't even get his solo material on the radio. I think the worst thing I see in all of this is the snowball effect. Only pushing artists who "look the part" and only pushing music that "fits in" is leading to expotential stagnation. If anything is more than two feet out of the oridinary, it doesn't hit the airwaves. I see the internet as the one shining hope for the ART of music, but I don't really believe it will work. But at least I can hold out some hope.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Each one has his time .

there was time for the beatles then came guns n roses and the hairdos rock then come nirvana and other alternative rock and now it rap and hip hop that has thre most sucess

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm waiting for a Barry Manilow come back.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Heh,

I was just thinking that I DO enjoy Performance Videos, where the group just plays the song, on a stage.

Intrepid is right about Vinyl though..I also miss the Artwork that came on the Jackets.

Here is another theory, outlets for music, outlets for news.
There are many more for both now, and sometimes they have to fill the time with crap.

Cable, Satellite, Robotic Radio stations( really, a cart machine or CD jukebox, and a transmitter). SO many outlets, so little quality.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KhieuSamphan
Ha ha,

BlackOctober and Intrepid are obviously two old rockers who sit about listening to crackly old tracks on a phonogram complaining about 'the youth of today'.

Haha, actually i'm only 17. I was lucky enough to grow up in a very music oriented family and instead of growing up on the MTV stuff I grew up on Zeppelin, AC/DC, Santana, Cream, Bob Dylan!! and especially a lot of older stuff like Arlo and Woody Guthrie, Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry. The point is I don't think it matters when you were born, good music is good music.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
The point is I don't think it matters when you were born, good music is good music.

Well said, I take it you like Buddy Holly too.
My very first favorite tune, according to my parents, was "Rave On".

Coincedentally my 15 year old sons first was Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf". He bopped in his diapers.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet
he's finding he can't even get his solo material on the radio.

Billy Corgan is truely a gifted artist. He doesn't try to change his style to appeal to today's younger audiences but keeps the formula that his fans enjoy. His new album The Future Embrace is excellant and truely sounds like classic Corgan. As you say he doesn't fit the "rock star look" promoted by record labels today and I think that is all the better. Being super white and bald he kinda looks like me anyway. His voice is awesome and I have loved his work since Siamese Dream and my favorite album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

His work feels more like someone speaking from the heart than much of the seemingly computer generated lyrics spat out today. And he has music to match the words. Ever hear the comparison someone put together where they took two Nickelback songs and put one on left channel the other on right and they sounded exactly the same? Good stuff.

Hope you liked the concert. I hear he plans on bringing the Pumpkins back together. He says he misses his group. Though he doesn't say if he will reunite all the original members. I doubt it because of the problems within the group but if he can bring back the sound and the artistry of the Pumpkins that would be awesome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join