It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Video Killed the Radio Star"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   
"Video Killed the Radio Star" - a song by The Buggles...and yet, such a true statement.

Video definitely took attention away from the radio and live performance. I don't appreaciate that.

And oh yeah, television is a disgrace. Especially these days.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Reasons?

Why do you say that?

The only reason TV "killed" radio and live performance is because radio and live performance are obsolete, technology makes things obsolete its something your supposed to just get over.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I for one still listen to the radio. Talk radio, coast to coast AM. It's a great conspiracy radio show.

Radio is not dead by any streatch of the imagination.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Hmm.

I was just listening to that song over the weekend.

I think you are right, musically at least.
Before MTV and such, when you heard a song,
your own private video played in your head.
You had a chance to appreciate a song on your own.
Rather than have it thrust in your face, someone elses interpretation.

I think it was quite prophetic.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

So true, the message of the music should be left up to the listener to interpret it his or her own way.

One of the only things I think of as a disgrace on television, especially in regards to music, is the whole rap, and rap music video scene. I can't see how it ever became acceptable to make up a new word everyweek then make it the chorus of the next new song that has one of three premade beats. These people are not artists, they are con artists, conning ignorant people out of their money. Want to know how to solve world hunger? Take two rap artist's platinum, diamond incrested necklaces and sell them. BAM you've fed a village for a year. Bringing it back to the television subject.. constantly seeing these big booty'd black girls(and yes white too) shaking their baby makers and having a bunch of drunk guys in a club with big shiny chains and shiny spinning wheels does not portray a good message to the youth. This is not an ok way to grow up.

Sorry that turned into more of a rant.

link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Reasons?

Why do you say that?

The only reason TV "killed" radio and live performance is because radio and live performance are obsolete, technology makes things obsolete its something your supposed to just get over.

Remember when people played their instruments well, didnt lip sync, and it didnt matter what you looked like because you had musical talent?

saying live performance is obsolete is stupid. a good chunk of artist money comes from live performances.

talent today is not being found because it doesnt fit the "ideals" of good looking people that may or may not have any real talent at all.

how many examples do you need?

rock and roll is dead. long live rock.

link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I think you are right, musically at least.
ists

True, but it sure is nice to see a good video that represents the true interpretation and representation of what the artist intended.

Many videos are garbage, but some of the more talented artists are able to expand their creativity through videos.

Its also good to see a show like VH1's "Berhind the Music" where they tell you what each song represents and what it means to them.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Yeah, the artists do put meaning behind their songs (hopefully) but still, people should just take it in how they see it. Songs mean more to certain people because of what they think it means. Music videos are a cool idea for an artist to further express the meanings, but with what MTV has become today you will hardly find a video that hasn't been made to suit the targeted audience's viewing pleasures for ratings.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Radio is still alive.
Kind of hard for the millions of commuters to watch video's while they are stuck in traffic.

Its video that seems dead. Does MTV play videos?
Or is it, as it has been for the last 15 years: Crappy "reality" TV, celebrity homes,
and what ever other crap they had on that wasn't worth watching.

My digital cable gets, something 50 Music channels, they don't show video,
essentially its radio coming out of my TV.
The Electronica channel rocks the hizhouz!

Live performances are still going on, everywhere, nothing has really changed there,
even the olde tyme 80's video bands are still playing concerts.
Who is going to see them....I can't even fathom.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
infinite8,

I'll give you that one.
That there are some videos that are works of art on their own.
And there are great some musical talents that also do videos.

But I think, overall, videos are just commercials, or ads, for the artist.
Minor talent, with major money spent on video marketing.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Isn't there a limited number of video producers or just a few that a majority of the bands and managers choose to use because they're HOT at the time? Wouldn't that make most of the videos look and appear the same? Aren't most rap songs about the same thing? Big money and Big cars? Seems to me all RAP videos should look the same. I think video killed the radio star because of LACK OF TALENT in the recording studio and they have to have lavish videos to put a band on the forefront. JUST MY $0.02

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

So true, the message of the music should be left up to the listener to interpret it his or her own way.

These people are not artists, they are con artists, conning ignorant people out of their money.

How can you say the music should be left up to the listener to interpret in his or her own way, and then turn right around and say all the things you did about rap? I for one love rap, I like the bass, I like the rhyms. Some songs have a sweet beat and others dont, so what if it is reapeating over and over? Rap is about the lyrics anyways (hence it being called rap) the beat is just for the background.

It's simply not cool to to judge art, and impose it on someone else. Like country. I hate country, but I respect that it's its own art form and that people enjoy listening to it, and that's OK.

As far as gold chains go, I was just kind of confused. They make alot of money and show it off, whup-de-do-dah, so do alot of other people, and they don't sell there jewlery to feed a village.

Ok this turned into a rant too, but I hope this isn't a flame, but I really wanted to defend rap. Peace.

Plus I'm not "ignorant" ablout plenty of things. And I listen to Rap, so neeeeeeee

[edit on 28-6-2005 by cownosecat]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat

How can you say the music should be left up to the listener to interpret in his or her own way, and then turn right around and say all the things you did about rap?

Hah you're right. I didn't mean rap as a whole. I too enjoy some rap (Jedi Mind Tricks
) BUT, with the rap thing I was referring to that whole 'crunk, bonkalonk, right thurr' thing and how I think it is stupid, but I know that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. I just got carried away

See that was me interpreting it in my own way, I interpret it as crap

[edit on 28-6-2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Haha, OK, now I understand! Yes, I too think the right thurr thing is stupid.
Most rap on the radio I don't like anyways.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The art of video has changed the music we listen to and the way we hear it.

When a new artist with real talent is trying to start out, they usually are forced to change themselves to fit the market at the time. The women have to be pretty and refined, the men either rough and tough or metrosexual. You rarely get a very successful and promoted celebrity that doesn't fit those molds.

Someone can no longer be talented musically - they have to be attractive or no one will hear them and no one will bother. Can you immagine the horror of an overweight female pop singer? On American Idol they cut people with beautiful voices because the look wasn't right. We've created this with video.

It was so nice when you could just listen and imagine. Think for a bit what our music might be like today if we took physical appearance out of the equasion. We'd have twice the talent, and probably a bit less crap. It's true that attractive people are talented too, but unattractive people are also musically inclined and it's too bad that they won't get anywhere because of it.

Also, it seems impossible to just be a musician. Just make music and not worry about videos and promotion and everything else that seems to be required to be successful. Shy people can be wizzards in the studio, but freeze up faced with TRL on MTV. Shy people might not kiss butt to radio stations and end up with their music not played out of spite.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
That's why I think the internet is the future of music. It's free to publish too, and thousands of people can listen to it. It's time to get rid of the middle man (record companies).

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinkersaredangerous
"Video Killed the Radio Star" - a song by The Buggles...and yet, such a true statement.

Video definitely took attention away from the radio and live performance. I don't appreaciate that.

And oh yeah, television is a disgrace. Especially these days.

I think it may depend on two things: The song and the video. I know, sounds like a stupid comment since those are the two basic elements! I've actually grown to like a song that I previously did not after watching the video. An example would be Coldplay's "The Scientist." I had heard the song a few times on the radio but never quite got it's meaning [musically challenged I guess]. Upon watching the video I actually thought more of the song. The reverse is also true. I've heard songs I thought were great, somewhat because of my interpretation of it. Later I see the video and then every time I hear the song I think of that lame-@ssed video and change the station. I agree that television, overall, has gone down the sewer. But hey, garbage in, garbage out - right?

BTW - Free thinkers are indeed dangerous!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
haha, that's right. Wow, I just noticed something...

I never watch TV anymore. Never. I mean, I never have time for it, but still, I just don't care for what's on anymore..

And already, I'm 20 years old...and I hate TV already.

Imagine how TV might be when I'm, say, 70?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
tv had become ridiculous. for example, hear of the show trading spouses? it seems anyone will do anything for their 15mins of "fame". it's rather disgusting.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I haven't used my radio in car or home for years now. My CD and MP3 players on the otherhand get extreme use.

I'm 30 now, and through highschool and my 20's I was able to tolerate pop music. Lately though it seems I'm listening to 80's and 90's music more than anything new. Music now seems to be all be part of some giant GAP commercial instead of having meaning.

And it's true that looks matter over talent today. I wonder how many of historys greatest performers would have been kicked off American Idol for not having "the look"?

I'll take Smashing Pumpkins over Coldplay or any of the other sound-alike processed groups anyday.

[edit on 29-6-2005 by Veltro]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join