It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampire information

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I do perhaps have something, but I need other information to compare it to before I up and throw it out there. I have seen just how vicious this site in particular is when it comes to things like this. I see no point in doing that before I have hard evidence.

[edit on 3-7-2005 by Whompa1]

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Admittedly you're not giving us much to go on...did you look at the sites people suggested?

You're only giving half-hints....you can't really leave us dangling like that and expect everyone to believe without question what you're saying.... you know?

As for viciousness - it's not so much people get vicious, as a common progression occurs:

Group A says they've experienced X, Y, Z.

Group B requests proof - not always in the most polite manner.

Group A gets terribly defensive, and goes on the attack.

Group B may at this point resort to ridicule, or just decry A's entire premise as false.

Group A sulks, and decries all of Group B as meanspirited pigs, or variations thereof.

Of course, the positions taken by A & B quite often reverse...but the point remains the same....that being, asking for proof isn't always a sign of viciousness, and likewise, refusing to offer proof also isn't a sign of anything vicious or underhand.

Though admittedly, refusal to offer evidence after a claim has been made tends to render your entire premise somewhat unreliable...

So. Have you read the links provided? Did you learn anything? Is there any particular kind of vampire you do want to discuss?

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You are correct. I am not giving anyone much of anything to go on simply because I do not yet know if what I have is of any importance. I would rather have two feet to stand on then one. I have taken a look at all the links people left. Wickpieda wasnt much help at all. The site that is suppose to be the home page for vampire community is suspect at best. At this point tink I really am not sure what I am dealing with. And as I said it could be something or it may not be anything. I have little experiance with this sort of thing. Thats why I am trying to find relevent information. Before I come out with what I have.

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thank you for the U2. I do not yet have enough posts to reply back to it. Perhaps there is some other way to communicate until I have the required amount of posts?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
First off i would like to say that there is a book called "Meet The Vampire".
it should answer most of your questions. This book is very interesing and has quite a few details on the many types of vampires.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I understand what you are looking for. You want to know if supernatural, virtually immortal, extra-human-power possessing vampires of the form popularised by Ann Rice exist. They don't, at least in my opinion. Let's examine why I think this:

1) In stories such as Ann Rice's (and many others), vampires are created when a human drinks the blood of a vampire, usually after having had their own blood drained. Why would this make the person turn into a vampire? The only possible reason I can imagine is the presence of a virus of some kind - any other explanation must be a purely supernatural one, which I cannot accept. I also think that such a virus would spread far enough that evidence of it would be more noticeable than it is. After all, look at the rapid spread of blood-borne viruses such as HIV.

2) Where are these vampires? Why don't we ever see evidence of them? Where are the deaths from exsanguination? Where are the reports of people with funky powers? Where are the reports of people bursting into flame as the sun rises? It's not that such cases are rare - they're non-existent, at least to my knowledge. Surely if vampires such as these existed we would see at least some evidence of their abilities or limitations. The fact that we don't see anything leads me to conclude that the traditional-style vampires are a mere myth.

3) The traditional vampire motif is too obviously a parody of the darker instincts of humanity for me to believe that it represents an actual creature. For example: vampires, of the kind I think you are referring to, are like a darker but more refined human. They don't have any of the messy drawbacks that humans have to suffer through - eating, excreting, aging, dying. They are forever young and forever beautiful. They have super powers - strength, speed, flight, telepathy, telekinesis, sometimes others. Most of the time they are portrayed as having access to untold wealth. They are almost always associated with sex and danger, a potent combination of humanity's primal instincts.

Simply put, vampires are everything that humanity wishes it could be and fears in itself. They are above the petty minutiae that we are forced to live with. They prey on people and take what they want when they want. They are above our rules and our laws and that makes them attractive to people.

As for people who claim to be vampires, most acknowledge that they are not supernatural, or immortal. A lack of evidence regarding what we traditionally viewed as vampires has given rise to alternate explanations: psychic vampires, astral vampires, emotional vampires and others. I am aware that there are those people who claim to be 100s of years old. Let them show us their birth certificate, or an old photograph of themselves, or any form of tangible evidence that they are something other than attention-seeking individuals latching onto an archetype.

Until we start to see at least some evidence that "classic" vampires exist, I think we have to assume that they are little more than humanity's dark reflection and exist merely in our minds and in our stories.

You might also want to examine a book called Piercing the Darkness: Undercover With Vampires In America Today by Katherine Ramsland. She initially sets out to follow the trail of journalist Susan Walsh, who supposedly disappeared whilst researching 'real' vampires. Ramsland quickly discovers that, whilst supernatural vampires are apparently non-existent, the vampire subculture is alive and well. An interesting look into the vampire mythos in contemporary America, if not the real thing.

[edit on 22/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whompa1
I do perhaps have something, but I need other information to compare it to before I up and throw it out there. I have seen just how vicious this site in particular is when it comes to things like this. I see no point in doing that before I have hard evidence.

Whompa1

hello i just want you to knwo that i do belive in vampires if you ahve seen any other of my topics i can see demons as well so * shurgs* i have never met a vampire becuase i do not think a lot of them are still here in this "realm" any more i belive they have moved away to a differnt realm where other mythogcail beings are now but to make it short ..

i do belvie in vampires the real ones please feel free to respond to my mesg at any time ^^

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You might be interested in Googling Elizabeth Borothy, a 16th century woman of noble ancestry who actually lived in Bulgaria or Romania, can't remember which, who was quite insane and did enjoy the taste of flesh and blood.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
A lack of evidence regarding what we traditionally viewed as vampires has given rise to alternate explanations: psychic vampires, astral vampires, emotional vampires and others.

These people are probably the closest you'll get to a Vampire. I spent a few years in this community speaking with various people and those who claim to have these powers.

The community is actually pretty wide and varies from psy vamps, to astral vamps , and one that has yet to be mentioned here... are the elemental vamps. These people claim to have once fed from humans but have learned to feed off of the energy available in nature. Very interesting. These people have almost shed the vampire label alltogether. What makes the psy vamps "vampires" is a void they either believe to have or genuinly have for psychic energy. This is what they consume, your life force.

Of course, all these categories of psychic vampires have those within who are just making crap up because they want to be something they aren't. But some of these people do have amazing psychic abilities.

I personally withdrew myself because I felt the label "vampire" was worthless alltogether and, if anything, limited abilities. The very name "vampire" itself implies a hopeless dependency/addiction.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whompa1
Much like any other topic in this forum I dont have proof.. At least not anything that would stand up in court. *shrugs* I see no reason why vampires could not exist in a world filled with greys, lizards, nessies, and bigfoots. All I seek is information nothing more.

The first Vampire, was Caine.
He, killed his brother, Abel, and was cursed by this, and had to drink blood, in order to sustain himself.
He was the first true Vampire.
From him, 13 offsets of children came to be, each with power deminishing from his line.

From those original 13 bloodlines, only 6-7 still exsist in some form.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Selective_ID,
I am not questioning you on this but do you have anything other than a movie to reference your theory that vampirism started with Cain?
FYI, Judas has also been id'd as being the first but agin no reference.
Thanks

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
...define what kind of vampire you're looking for?

Psychic vampire?

Vampirism as a result of a psychiatric condition? (ie, perception versus reality)?

Not to mention emotional vampirism. It is no mere coincidence that Bram Stroker wrote Dracula during the time that he did. It is replete with repressed sexual urges, 19th century ideals of romance and all of that heaving bosom, exposed fangy sort of stuff that makes it so much fun to read.

I guess you mean actual people who suck blood? Maybe you can start your way backward... lot of Florida teens into biting people, getting their teeth sharpened to pointy ends and collecting vials of blood. Really fascinating (and disgusting) subculture.

I'm not sure about 'real' vampires but how about chupacabras?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Much like any other topic in this forum I dont have proof.. At least not anything that would stand up in court. *shrugs* I see no reason why vampires could not exist in a world filled with greys, lizards, nessies, and bigfoots. All I seek is information nothing more.

Ahh, but grays, lizzies, nessie, etc. aren't "immortal"...and that's a pretty big leap of faith. Also, grays, lizzies, nessie, etc. aren't "supernatural" in origin with otherworldly powers either... So, there is a bit of a difference here in logical assumption...

I'm assuming you mean the "classic" definition of vampire...

I.e. supernatural being, can shapechange, turn into mist, is immortal, and drinks the blood of the living.

You should know that this "classic" idea of a vampire is actually very different from the "historic" view of vampires, both of European and American folklore. The "classic" vampire is pretty much the product of fiction, and yes, largely from Bram Stoker's book, Dracula. You may want to look into the inspiration for his book (i.e. Vlad Tepes..sp? Vlad the Impaler) for some more insight there.

The more historic vampire view is that of a corpse that sleeps in the coffin during the day, and stalks the living at night. However, they weren't wearing fancy suits (other than burial clothes), or very aristocratic or romantic. The vampire of folklore was an almost mindless monster. It was thought to rise from the grave (either in a spirit form or in corporeal form, depending on the local ideas) and then feast on the living, returning before sunup.

Such ideas are thought to be largely born of the misunderstanding of the death and decay process. For example, rigormortis was the root of the vampire's reputed incredible strength (as nobody could move the limbs, etc. of a corpse). Gasses in the body would expand, forcing blood to come out of the body openings (mouth as the easiest), causing people to assume the corpse must have drunk fresh blood! Fingernails and hair would grow, causing the unfamiliar to ascribe some kind of life to the corpse, etc. The original idea of driving a stake through a vampire wasn't to kill it. It was to "staple" the corpse to the ground so that it wouldn't rise up at night, hehe.... Later, more elaborate rituals (with a better visual) were designed to bring closure to a community. You see, many towns blamed plagues, etc. on a vampire in the community. So, they'd blame a corpse (usually the person who died with the same symptoms), exhume it, find the tell-tale signs of "vampirism", and then cut out the heart, stuff the head with flowers, burn them both on a consecrated altar, etc.

Hope this helps some...

The romantic, aristocratic vampire is purely a product of fiction writers (with a very easily traced trail), not the historic view of vampires so feared by our ancestors....

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

The first Vampire, was Caine. He, killed his brother, Abel, and was cursed by this, and had to drink blood, in order to sustain himself. He was the first true Vampire. From him, 13 offsets of children came to be, each with power deminishing from his line. From those original 13 bloodlines, only 6-7 still exsist in some form.

Please tell me this was sarcasm. For those who do not know, White Wolf roleplaying games has a series called Vampire the Masquerade in which Caine becomes the first vampire as a result of killing his brother Abel. He gave rise to 13 vampire clans whose power diminishes over time. It is a very popular, very fictional vampire role-playing game.

I apologise if you sincerely meant this post to be sarcastic, but it wasn't really obvious and there are those here who may have taken this seriously, not knowing it to be fiction.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I don't think most of us are being purposely sarcastic as perhaps just a wee playful. The deal with vampires is that most of the 'good' stuff about them, or shall I say, the stuff that makes us romanticize them, is completely made up. I think that is why the majority of the answers to your posts are pulling up tons and tons of links.

Fear is such a fertile ground from where to take your inspirations - We have done it in almost every mythological being. Although a lot of it is based initially on facts, we being humans, we love a good mystery and love to ponder and exaggerate the aspects of things we cannot understand.

Vampires are no different. There *have* been actual people who have physically craved blood; some 18th century guy (don't quote me on that) who used to cut the heads off ducks in parks and drink their blood and was able to sniff out women in their menses. There was the countess that someone already mentioned and others who you will have to find on your own. These are such unique situations though that they warrant a good, long think and debate on vampirism vs. madness.

Then there are bloodthirsty people and this may or may not have to do with actual sanguine instincts and more to do with their need to kill and relish in the blood of victims or conquests rather than the drinking of for substanance.

Then there are all the other 'psychological' vampire traits everyone else mentioned.

I also mentioned a subculture of own society, which is (while sad) also very interesting. These poor kids think the romantic gothic myth of vampirisms makes it possible for them to have been passed down authentic vampire genes, when it more likely the combination of their young hormones and their unfettered imagination in fast gear. In reality those vampiric genes cannot have been passed down to them as the 'legend' is taken from Bram Stroker's own imagination. Which is why genetically this would be impossible, unless Bram had the power of genetic design.

There is a book out there I read some time about called Blood (something) about true legends of blood drinkers so maybe you start with that.

And the chupacabra was not mentioned in jest. It is to my knowledge a blood sucking creature. It just isn't ravishing/beautiful with dark hair and pale skin. At least from most accounts.

Good luck with your search.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Whompa do not feel you are crazy, there are many things you are becoming aware of, you "feel" or "sense" something that many others do not or do not want to actually claim to know or realize or put any truth into it. Many want to claim most things too unbelieveable are just myths or unreal or hoaxes. when its almost in plain sight. for example most want to believe it was an assasin who killed JFK when in reality they should question their own government officials and ask the question why are the files so blacked out or not readily available to the public, that is an example of the sort of things people don't want to question or believe in. So Whompa you aren't crazy to believe in something others say are myths and untrue or something they tell you never existed. Whompa most times when your gut feeling is telling you something go with it, don't listen to the naysayers and the ignorant masses your beliefs are your own stick to your guns don't let anyone sway you from your research.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
dont mess with vampires. just leave them be. unless ofcourse you wanna die first, and then liveforever. You want to die ?

You will find a few in New York, Germany, France, Britain. none left in Romania. they are moving to big cities. More young blood. best (worst) ones are in Slovakia. tall and handsome. females even better.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You will find a few in New York, Germany, France, Britain. none left in Romania. they are moving to big cities. More young blood. best (worst) ones are in Slovakia.

What do you base this declaration on? Do you have any proof or evidence that you can show us to support this claim?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Het Whompa1, if you're looking for an interesting book on Vampirism, check out "The Science of Vampires" by Katherine Ramsland. It gives a good look into the several different forms of vampirism.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:58 PM
link   
You can find this at borders or barnes and noble?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join