It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think the V-22 will make it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine

Originally posted by Abrams

Do you have an actual reason for why it should be dropped like a hot potato??

Yes, because the whole thing is bung, it has limitations and because its killed far too many people.

Like I said, someones got shares riding on it.

I really hate to bring you back down to earth but since the redesign on the nacelles and the firing of one specific contractor, and since it's testing resumed it has been doing nothing but meeting or exceeding its testing. Maybe you may wish to Google a bit and check out the program as it today instead of years ago?? Just a suggestion...

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   

combines the vertical flight capabilities of a helicopter with the speed and range of a turboprop airplane and permits aerial refueling and world-wide self deployment

This part here is the key... If it can actually fulfill this...(and I think, eventually, it will), it should be a "success", but one paid for with far too many lives and money...in other words, business as usual for the armed forces...

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It looks as though politics from the early failures will kill this project.

Besides, as mentioned above this is already working on a smaller scale with the Harrier. Drop this project and rebuild using better technology.

I mean propellers? "How last week!"

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by AZLS1]

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It is indeed a money pit, and is a dangerous machine for those in it.
A Sikorsky helicopter is a much more reliable machine - for the time being. I don't think it will be too many more years before the next generation of aircraft is out. The V-22 won't be there, I don't believe. Not in its current state, anyway.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Actually the thread author should have been more specific in the first place.. The Osprey WILL be produced in a Low Rate Initial Offering. The only thing that WAS in doubt was the Full rate, but that doubt seems to have vanished almost completley in the minds of those who will be making those decisions.

pma275.navair.navy.mil...

The Osprey is a fixed-wing plane with rotors that tilt so the craft can take off and land like a helicopter. The attention to non-flying issues shows the Pentagon is increasingly convinced it's solved most of the safety and reliability issues that grounded the aircraft for more than a year after two accidents in 2000 killed a total 23 Marines, Olson said.

The Pentagon gave the program a boost last month, saying Boeing and Textron can produce 152 aircraft through 2009, seven more than budgeted.

The budget includes 11 aircraft in fiscal 2005, 17 in fiscal 2006, 26 in fiscal 2007, 39 in fiscal 2008 and 48 in fiscal 2009, according to briefing charts released today.

Approval of full-rate production is scheduled for October 2005 assuming the aircraft successfully completes a rigorous round of realistic operational test and evaluation next year.

That decision would trigger spending most of $39 billion to buy up to 456 aircraft in the overall $48.2 billion program. Almost $15 billion has been spent to date. Each aircraft is estimated to cost $105 million apiece when calculated in inflation adjusted dollars.

Former Critic: Osprey Problems Fixed

A Defense Department undersecretary said design revisions succeeded, and more of the aircraft likely could be produced.

WASHINGTON - The nation's top weapons buyer said yesterday that recent tests of the Marine Corps' troubled V-22 Osprey aircraft showed that design revisions have fixed problems that led to multiple crashes that killed 30, including 23 troops in 2000.

"I'm at the point now where I believe we have demonstrated sufficient confidence in the aircraft for safety and reliability that we can continue proceeding forward," said Edward "Pete" Aldridge, undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, who has been a longtime critic of the rotorcraft.

Rumsfeld Says V-22 Osprey's Prospects Look Good

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said yesterday that the controversial V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft was doing well in resumed flight tests and likely would "go forward" if it stayed on course. The aircraft is built by Boeing Co. at its Delaware County plant and the Bell Helicopter unit of Textron Inc. Overhauled and reengineered, the Osprey resumed flight trials in May 2002, 17 months after fatal crashes grounded it and almost killed the $46 billion program because of doubts about its technology.

"Since that time, the aircraft has done quite well in its tests," Rumsfeld said in Washington. "And, to the extent [that] it continues to pass through these various test hurdles, my guess is it would go forward because it is something that the Marines and Special Operations forces are interested in having... . And it is currently in the budget."

Oh, their are a few more stories from the last few months i ran across that also fall along these lines which I can happily provide to educate some of you. Just ask if you need them

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Abrams]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 01:54 AM
link   
If all the weird crap people video and photograph all the time is any indication human technological progression, the F-22 is an archaic piece of junk that no longer needs to be used.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Do you believe the V-22 should have jet engines?
Have you taken all facts into consideration when making the statement that props are obsolete?

The V-22 is the future and is going to be built regardless of what peoples opinions are, there is nothing else on the drawing board that can meet these requirements, and the US will not buy European helos(EH101, NH-90) unless they are built in the US, simular to the same agreement that the US had with the British Harrier.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pearly

Do you believe the V-22 should have jet engines?
Have you taken all facts into consideration when making the statement that props are obsolete?

The V-22 is the future and is going to be built regardless of what peoples opinions are, there is nothing else on the drawing board that can meet these requirements, and the US will not buy European helos(EH101, NH-90) unless they are built in the US, simular to the same agreement that the US had with the British Harrier.

That is exactly why it is being done. The USMC, special forces, Coast Guard and Dept. of Homeland Security all want this one badly too..

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
not the v22, but its new generation definetly will. THe tech is good, but some things have to be worked out.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 02:48 AM
link   
~Awsome concept for an aircraft. But didn't the early flight tests kill 8 marines or something?(i remeber people dying). And with the budget for new aircraft,etc. right now, I think it'll be on the wish list for a bit until the problems get fixed out.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:07 AM
link   

not the v22, but its new generation definetly will. THe tech is good, but some things have to be worked out

you are missing the point Omega1, the V-22 is in production, the US does not have any new design cargo helos being built, all of its current helos are based on tech from the 70's-80's, and are getting old, Helo's don't have the long lifespan that planes have. The V-22 is the only new aircraft that the US has thats anywhere near operational status that can fill these roles. Thats why congress keeps throwing money in to the V-22, to make the problems with the V-22 go away. if they cancel the V-22 what fills the gap for transport helos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join