It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspended Animation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

Read more about it here:
www.news.com.au...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That is VERY eerie!

Imagine that, being in suspended animation and then being jolted back into reality. That's something right out of a sci-fi show. The article stated that the dogs appeared to be normal with no brain damage, I wonder what would happend on a human?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It's actually kinda cool - no pun intended. This is essentially cryogenics. It's chilling a body to suspend the need for oxygen while keeping cells alive. It can have huge implications when it comes to saving a life while an organ is found, blood is made available, surgeons are flown in etc. Yes, it's ethical and people pay thousands of dollars right at this very moment to have their bodies and/or heads frozen in hopes of revival when cures are found. This research on dogs just makes it less extreme and more mainstream for use in lifesaving - not years on ice.

It's amusing that one article mentioned "zombies" because it's more interesting and currently a topic in theatres and gets people that are prone to over-reaction all stirred up and upset. These dogs aren't staggering around doe-eyed eating live flesh and chanting "oooohhhhhhhhmm" over and over again. They are suspended with the expectation of revival to their previous state.

What will truly be amazing is if this can be applied in modern medical situations to save lives.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon

It's amusing that one article mentioned "zombies" because it's more interesting and currently a topic in theatres and gets people that are prone to over-reaction all stirred up and upset. These dogs aren't staggering around doe-eyed eating live flesh and chanting "oooohhhhhhhhmm" over and over again. They are suspended with the expectation of revival to their previous state.

What will truly be amazing is if this can be applied in modern medical situations to save lives.

Red Balloon is talking about me, here. A few minutes ago (as this thread was being started) I created my own thread where I moaned about the horrors of creating 'zombie' humans. The problem, though, was that I accidentally posted a link to a different article than the one I read... and the egg hit my face.

Still... I can't see how this can be done without any brain damage at all.... especially when it comes to humans. My guess is that anyone who undergoes this procedure will suffere some (even if it's light) brain damage.

Also... would they actually be dead during this period? Think about it: There would be no mental activity for up to several hours. The implications are endless.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I love anything zombie related...great article...sounds almost star-trek-ish to me...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Here's a journal article I found a little while ago about a similar experiment somewhere else involving 19 dogs.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The application of these principles resulted in the long-term survival of five animals with four survivors displaying no clinically detectable neurological abnormalities. However, two animals developed optic impairment and one animal died from intusseption on the fourth postoperative day. Despite the improved results, it should also be noted that during pilot (Group I) studies (from which the aforementioned principles were derived) fatalities from complications attributed to systemic edema, central nervous system, or pulmonary or coagulation dysfunctions occurred in 9 out of 12 trials.

Source:
www.alcor.org...

[edit on 6/28/2005 by Logical_Psycho]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The big problem with all this is, that the implications are great for the science/medical field, bu treally, all you need is money and there yuo go, instant cryogenics for you. Wait till this becomes the latest fashion trend in hollywood

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
it's dawn or the dead style or other zombie movies all be digging me somthing to hide in now

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What I have always wondered with this is, if they did this with a human, and they human "dies" and comes back to life after, they have basically died and been revived. Wouldn't they have experienced whatever comes after death, and would be able to tell us what it is?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
This was around way back.

I have a really old movie on the computer where they do this to dogs. They completly remove all the blood from the neck. Then they pump it back in with "things" and it starts the heart back up slowly and the dog is revived and recovers after a few weeks.

They also took a decapitated dogs head and kept it alive via those pumping tools.

Also they took a lung, pumped oxygen and blood into it, it came out as CO2

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Guess they moved up from using rats now.

I posted this awhile back

suspended animation

-Aza

new topics

top topics

join