It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Tribunal in Istanbul Turkey on Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well while many Americans wave the flag and praise the current bunch of idiots in the Bush Administration the rest of the world is paying attention regardless of whether the citizens who support the Bush Administration are or not. A world tribunal on Iraq was held in the last few days in istanbul Turkey.

As an American who has been against this war from the beginning I am saddened to realize that in the eyes of the world we are all grouped in with the ones who supported the Bush administration and all will bear the burden of their stupidity and greed.

www.democracynow.org.../06/27/1335230
The World Tribunal on Iraq wrapped its three day session today in Istanbul, Turkey. Torture and rendition was a main theme of the testimony heard there.

The jury delivered its verdict and recommendations at a news conference this morning. The preliminary verdict read in part, "Recognizing the right of the Iraqi people to resist the illegal occupation of their country and to develop independent institutions, and affirming that the right to resist the occupation is the right to wage a struggle for self-determination, freedom, and independence as derived from the Charter of the United Nations, we the Jury of Conscience declare our solidarity with the people of Iraq."

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thank you for a great post Goose. Like you I am vehemently opposed to this war. I mentioned in an earlier post on ATSNN that I live in Bryan, Texas and witnessed, along with so many other local residents, trainload after trainload of military hardware [tanks and two and a hlf ton trucks] travelling in a constant stream from the north [Fort Hood Area] to the Houston Docks to the South via the Southern Pacific railroad during the weeks preceding 9-11. This was most obvious [to me personally] on Friday September 7, 2001 because the railcars were virtually non-stop all day.

I have the pleasure and privilege of living in Turkey and serving with their troops. They are real men; matter of fact and brave or about as different as Bush and his yellow bunch of war profitteers as any man could be.

It's really interesting, albeit sickening, to listen to and realize that the most ardent supporters of Bush are the suck-ups whose own children, like their cowardly parents, will not and have no intension of serving...at least not in a hostile fire zone.

Don't be fooled by some of these VFW groups either...I've recently discovered that many who are capitalizing onthe membership of this great organization are not, themselves, qualified veterans.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Goose,

I looked into this “global tribunal”, but it in fact is just a meeting of left-wing groups. There are No world leaders there and it is not endorsed by any countries. It is just a meeting modeled after the anti-war meeting that were held during the Vietnam war. This meeting is of no significance at all. If fact its really sad to see...poor hippies.

Here are some of the groups that have endorsed this useless cry fest:

Al-Qalam Institute

Arab Lawyers Association / UK

Brian Dickinson

Coney Island Avenue Project

Sisters Arab Forum for Human Rights (SAF) / Yemen

Swedish Network Against War

Bruce R. Hall

As you can see it’s a real important group with Americas interests at heart, I’m sure they’re really open minded too!

Again sad and silly...

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Boatphone is American interests the only ones that count in this world? And as for American interests this war is costing a lot of money and we the American people are footing the bill not only in money but in our young people's lives and what are we getting for it? Please tell me the value of this war. I know there are a few in America and other countries that will make a lot of money but compared to human cost in losses of our military and our military allies and the Iraqi civilians its not enough, at least not to me but I am not one of the ones making money off of this war. Tell me why should I want a war in Iraq? Tell me why I or anyone should want to support an Administration that wants war in Iraq.

www.worldtribunal.org...

The Legitimacy of the Project

A war of aggression was launched despite the opposition of people and governments all over the world. However, there is no court or authority that will judge the acts of the US and its allies. If the official authorities fail, then authority derived from universal morals and human rights principles can speak for the world.
Our legitimacy derives from:

·the failure of official international institutions to hold accountable those who committed grave international crimes and constitute a continued menace to world peace;
·being part of the worldwide anti-war movement which expressed its opposition to this invasion;
·the Iraqi people resisting occupation;
·the duty of all people of conscience to take action against wars of aggression, war crimes, crimes against humanity and other breaches of international law;
·the struggles of the past to develop systems of peaceful co-existence and prevent future aggression and breaches of the UN Charter;
·giving voice to the voiceless victims of this war, articulating the concerns of civil society as expressed by the worldwide social justice and peace movements;
·the will to bring the principles of international law to the forefront.

Further, our legitimacy will be earned as we proceed to achieve the aims stated in this document

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Goose,

Why should you support the war in Iraq;

1. We are already there. If we just cut and run. It will have all been for nothing and Iraq would be an even bigger mess.

2. Support it for all the young children in Iraq. Give them a chance at a real life after the war. One where girls can go to school, and terrorists will not be attacking and terrorizing the people. One where men and women can vote and be free.

3. Once Iraq is a safe and free place it will be a positive force for all of the middle-east. Others in the middle-east will say, "hey, I was always told that America is the great satan, but I see that after America came to Iraq by brothers in Iraq have good schools and more freedoms. This freedom will spread, making the world a better place of ALL people.

4. Once these people are free and are able to have hope for the future, they will put away violence.

5. This war will make it imposible for terrorsits to hide in Iraq.

Those are just a quick few, I truly believe in this war, I hope that the world will soon be a peacful place!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Boatphone have ever once looked at pics of some of the civilians who have been blown away in this war? Have you seen the photos of the children standing over their dead parents or vice versa? Do you know that medical care is a really bad over there where before the war it was good? People are burying their family members in their gardens. Do you really think that we will ever be remembered fondly? Please do some real research about this war and look at something besides the rhetoric about the war, please stop drinking the kool-aid.
Our presence there is no longer seen as liberators, now we are seen as occupiers and they want us out. As much as I want to see your point of we made the mess lets clean it up, the truth is that as long as we are there the violence will continue. We could turn this whole thing over to the UN and work through them to get out but here is the problem with handing it over to the UN, they will be the ones handing out contracts not us, that is why we will stay there so that Halliburton and others can get richer from this war.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Boatphone have ever once looked at pics of some of the civilians who have been blown away in this war?

Yes, I have. I understand that in any war innocent people are indeed hurt. The U.S. takes great care not to hurt innocent people, if we didn’t there would be many many more dead.

Have you seen the photos of the children standing over their dead parents or vice versa?

Yes, please read above.

Do you know that medical care is a really bad over there where before the war it was good? People are burying their family members in their gardens.

Yes, I do I wish that the terrorists would stop bombing churches and hospitals, but I know that as long as people like you keep getting upset over it and demanding an end to the war the terrorists will keep doing it hoping for Bush to pull out. Have you ever thought about that?!?!?

Do you really think that we will ever be remembered fondly

Yes, I know we will be. We got rid of Saddam.

Please do some real research about this war and look at something besides the rhetoric about the war, please stop drinking the kool-aid.

I’m sorry but it is you who enjoy kool-aid the most. Maybe you should take a course or travel and learn that the world is not a fairy tale story and that war sometimes need to be fought to protect the innocent!

Our presence there is no longer seen as liberators, now we are seen as occupiers and they want us out.

That is what the former Saddam party members are telling them, as well, as the foreign fighters and have come into Iraq to create terror and give the impression the Iraqis want the U.S. out.

As much as I want to see your point of we made the mess lets clean it up, the truth is that as long as we are there the violence will continue. We could turn this whole thing over to the UN and work through them to get out but here is the problem with handing it over to the UN, they will be the ones handing out contracts not us, that is why we will stay there so that Halliburton and others can get richer from this war.

Wow, you trust the U.N.? Ever heard of the U.N. oil for food program? I wouldn’t trust the U.N. to make me a sandwich! I suggest you do some soul searching...

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You have voted Boatphone for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Looks like Goose got cooked

Maximu§

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Boatphone even people coming back from Iraq are saying all we are doing is creating more terrorists by being there, wake up! Over10,000 civilians have been killed and you think we are going to be remembered fondly, I got a little bridge in New York actually some consider it a big bridge its in Brooklyn would you like to buy it? I'll sell it to you for a very reasonable price.
Do you know that the people over there are saying things was better with Saddam in power compared to now? And of course the Bush Administration has not told you that so you are just going to assume its the terrorists talking.
Have you ever considered the fact that the Bush Administration takes no blame for anything. Its always blamed on the liberal media and you people don't even stop to wonder if its true. You just automatically shoot the messenger if you don't like what is said but never question if its true. And I am supposed to trust the judgement of someone who believes everything the Bush Administration tells them. Forget it, they have already proven they are not credible over and over, where are those WMD's? They said we would be greeted as liberators and the war would be over in no time, now even Rumsfeld says we might be there 10-12 years. They have even hired news people to promote propraganda to promote their agenda and paid them with your precious tax dollars. If I recall correctly Armstrong Williams was paid 240,000 dollars to promote the, No Child Left Behind folly

www.democracynow.org.../01/31/1516238&mode=thread&tid=25
Third Conservative Pundit Found To Be On Gov't Payroll
The number of prominent conservatives columnists who were quietly paid off by the Bush administration is now at least three. Salon.com is reporting Michael McManus received $10,000 to promote the Bush administration's Community Healthy Marriage Initiative. Earlier in the month it was disclosed that both Armstrong Williams and Maggie Gallagher were also on the government payroll

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Goose,

I believe you have already been cooked. Talk to me in 5 years when everything has worked out for the best. No one said it would be easy or short, but then again, doing things that are worth while rarely are...

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Oh please spare me the cooked goose thing, its getting old and is as much of a cleche' as the old and tired rhetoric of its hard work, your hero only said that 23 times in one of the last debates it was old then and certainly old now. And how do you know in five years things will work out for the best? Please tell that to all the relatives who have lost loved ones in this war. Please tell that to the mangled and wounded from this war. Even Rumsfeld says we might be there 10-12 years. BTW do you happen to know the military history of your heroes, the Bush Administration?

top topics

join