It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China attacking Taiwan just a distraction????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
somebody said that China attacking Taiwan is just a distraction so that they can attack Russia... is that true???

and if it is then do u think that Russia will be able to keep China off ov them???

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
China can't hold off russia, infact if china attacks russia it would probility put russia back into a military superpower. besides russia got lots of nukes to keep china at bay lol, and china would lose if it does attack russia...

[edit on 27-6-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
ulshadow...
Considering the size of the Chinese military, nukes or no nukes, Russia will be hard pressed to defeat China in a land war.
Population of China: 1.3 Billion and counting....

Military manpower - military age and obligation:
18-22 years of age for compulsory military service, with 24-month service obligation; no minimum age for voluntary service; 17 years of age for women who meet requirements for specific military jobs (2004)
Military manpower - availability:
males age 18-49: 342,956,265 (2005 est.)
Military manpower - fit for military service:
males age 18-49: 281,240,272 (2005 est.)
Military manpower - reaching military age annually:
males: 13,186,433 (2005 est.)

China

Population of Russia: 143.5 Million and counting.

Military manpower - military age and obligation:
18-27 years of age; males are registered for the draft at 17 years of age; 200,000 conscripts were inducted into the armed forces in 2003; length of compulsory military service is 2 years; plans as of August 2004 call for reduction in mandatory service to 1 year by 2008; 2003 planning calls for volunteer servicemen to compose 70% of armed forces by 2010, with the remaining servicemen consisting of conscripts (August 2004)
Military manpower - availability:
males age 18-49: 35,247,049 (2005 est.)
Military manpower - fit for military service:
males age 18-49: 21,049,651 (2005 est.)
Military manpower - reaching military age annually:
males: 1,286,069 (2005 est.)

Russia

As to whether a Chinese attack on Taiwan would be a cover to attack Russia.....not likely.
China attacks Taiwan, China will have its hands full with a number of countires: the US, Japan, possibly Australia, etc.
Besides, China would be seeking support from Russia during this "attack" on Taiwan, rather than seeking to attack.

Sun Tzu would be quite disappointed with China, as well, being that China is going against military strategem of not starting a two front war.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well...

Russia backs China, it is condemning itself to playing second fiddle to the Chinese for the forseeable future. However, its also possible that if China does attack Taiwan, Russia could attack China from the north, crippling or even destroying its primary rival in Asia and re-asserting its place as a world superpower.

There are lots of interesting ways this China/Taiwan thing could play out.

ed to remove quote of entire previous post

[edit on 27-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
so if China will ask for help from Russia do u think that they will try to take over something else??? and that the U.S will try to help and that there will be a WWIII???
and without Russia and China fighting together do u think that there will b a WWIII out ov China attacking Taiwan???

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
vor78....

And Russia attacking China while China attacks Taiwan, while fending off the US, Japan, etc., would benefit the Russian's how? Would a Russian attack on China, while China is nailing Taiwan, be seen as an overture of an allaince with the West, specifically the US, Japan, etc., who would be aiding Taiwan against the Chinese aggression?

Personally, Russia would simply set back and follow another military strategem: let two big dogs go at so that they will weaken themselves and thus be susceptable to future aggressions by the other watching big dogs, and lesser ones.

seekerof

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
let two big dogs go at so that they will weaken themselves and thus be susceptable to future aggressions by the other watching big dogs,

haha makes sence... watch laugh and then think if taking action is necessary

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
vor78....

And Russia attacking China while China attacks Taiwan, while fending off the US, Japan, etc., would benefit the Russian's how? Would a Russian attack on China, while China is nailing Taiwan, be seen as an overture of an allaince with the West, specifically the US, Japan, etc., who would be aiding Taiwan against the Chinese aggression?

Personally, Russia would simply set back and follow another military strategem: let two big dogs go at so that they will weaken themselves and thus be susceptable to future aggressions by the other watching big dogs, and lesser ones.

seekerof

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Seekerof]

It benefits the Russians by eliminating a rival on the Asian continent and growing military threat on their southern border, one that is probably already capable of defeating the Russians in a head-to-head, one-on-one conventional war. If they think a war is probabe, waiting too long could mean that China is essentially unbeatable for Russia under any circumstances. By attacking now, they take advantage of China's preoccupation with Taiwan and give themselves the best shot at winning a war against the Chinese they'll likely ever have.

But again, its just a possibility, and not one that is very likely to happen. If Taiwan does turn out to be only a sideshow to something bigger, I think China will most likely hit the former Soviet Republics on its northwestern border (although this is a move that could also trigger a Chinese-Russian war).

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
More like a ploy to keep the masses united against a common enemy. Internal pressures continue to build in the PRC; I think the leadership has no intention of invasion but it serves their purpose to at least pressure Taiwan.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
(although this is a move that could also trigger a Chinese-Russian war).

and if it will then do u think that Russia would be able to keep china off ov themselves?? and maybe attack back just like in WWII???

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If China did attack Russia, while the current Administration is in office, I'm willing to bet (and I know I'll get a TON of crap for this one!) that the United States would come to the aid of Russia. It would at the very least be covertly.

We have a lot more to fear in a Chinese victory over Russia. China is the biggest threat to us as far as the next "superpower" goes. Russia can never compete with China economically. And eventually China will be far more superior militarily, due to its economic resources and enormous population.

This is all just my theory, but go ahead and attack me nonetheless... lol

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by russiankid

(although this is a move that could also trigger a Chinese-Russian war).

and if it will then do u think that Russia would be able to keep china off ov themselves?? and maybe attack back just like in WWII???

In a conventional war, I think China wins. The Russians are battle-tested through war in Chechnya, have better equipment and are probably equally trained, if not better. The problem is, the Chinese would likely have a 10-1 manpower advantage, as well as a much more powerful economy to keep the war machine going. The Chinese would likely lose an awful lot of men, but in the end, could probably just overwhelm the Russian ground forces with numbers if they wanted. The Russians might have a chance if they could dig in defensively in the Urals, but I don't know how well that would work against a semi-advanced military like China's.

The best chance Russia would really have would be if it could establish air dominance. They probably have a superior airforce to China in all respects, but its probably not a huge gap. Could enough of the Russian air force survive the air-to-air combat before turning their attention to ground support to really make a difference and put a serious dent in the Chinese invasion? Who knows.

Of course, if it goes nuclear, it swings back the other way...bigtime. Russia has what, 7,000 warheads on hundreds, if not a couple thousand ICBMs? China may have 500, the vast majority of which would have to be delivered by aircraft that are vulnerable to Russian air defenses as they have relatively few long range ballistic missiles. Russia 'wins' that easily, though it would be ugly enough that no one could really be called a winner.

The good thing is that its all hypothetical and hopefully we'll never have to find out.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

hopefully we'll never have to find out.

i hope so... cuz i dont know what id do if China would take over Russia... i guess ill go crazy and rock back and forth in a corner in my room

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Russia and China have been practicing military exercises Together
China will not attack Russia, and vice versa.
China and Russia vs. the USA on the other hand, with a South American "axis" is plausible.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
If China did attack Russia, while the current Administration is in office, I'm willing to bet (and I know I'll get a TON of crap for this one!) that the United States would come to the aid of Russia. It would at the very least be covertly.

We have a lot more to fear in a Chinese victory over Russia. China is the biggest threat to us as far as the next "superpower" goes. Russia can never compete with China economically. And eventually China will be far more superior militarily, due to its economic resources and enormous population.

This is all just my theory, but go ahead and attack me nonetheless... lol

I agree with you there. China is still a big question mark for many analysts, at least we know where Russia stands on key issues.

Also, coming to the rescue of Russia would silence those who are most critical of our foregien policy (ie Germany & France).

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I think Russian's can hold off chinese ground forces for a pretty long time cause of the terrian in Russia. It's hard to fight in the cold and the russian's got used to the cold and can beat back the chinese forces, but in the end china's economy can produce more tanks, aircraft, train soldiers faster than russia can + their huge pop. And if it does attack russia, china would be cut off from the world and weaken it's economy really bad. It will probility end up with a nuke showdown lol If the US don't come to the Russian aid.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
It will probility end up with a nuke showdown lol If the US don't come to the Russian aid.

well if were talking nukes then russia is stronger much much stronger

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Why would the chinese attack the russian? Take over the waste land of Siberia?
By making threats to conquer taiwan they are distracting their people from domestic problems like the corrupted leadership. But currently they have their attention to the olympics. I think it's gonna take a long time before the people will wake up from the tons of propaganda of the communists and overthrow the leadership.
If they attack russia they will have to battle on 2 fronts, like the germans in WWll. But this time the american will be fighting on the eastern front, and the russian in the west. There's also afghanistan at the south. After millions die due to war and starvation, the people will realise that there is no reason they should be fighting since they are the aggressor. Having to fight a war on so many fronts and facing possible revolts in the country will put a strain on their army, which is made up of unwilling conscripts. The communist regime will collaspe, the chinese will surrender. Land in the north and west will be ceded to russia and hopefully china will turn democratic after the nation is rebuild with foreign help.
But the communists are not that stupid to let the above happens. I think someone invented the story that china is planning to attack russia as the chinese are buying up so much arms to use in a possible attack of taiwan, posing a serious threat to everyone nearby. So nope, china has no intention to conquer their friend russia, not at this time.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotheRaGe
Why would the chinese attack the russian? Take over the waste land of Siberia?

wasteland??? wastleand?!?!?! they have oil and do u know how many secret bases are in Siberia??? they coud have TESLA's tech and everything if they would get Siberia

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Actually, China invading Taiwan would more than likely be a ploy to draw MORE of our troops (which we don't have) away from home. Our government has pledged to defend Taiwan from a Chinese invasion. This is the point where Russia AND China would seize the opportunity to invade the US (from Cuba, Mexico, and the west coast). With our troops spread so thin across the globe, we would have next to nil as far as a military response. We can't nuke our own soil...

But, of course, this is just my take on it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join