It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians like America woohoo.

page: 1

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:51 PM

Outside the mosque where Iran's president-elect, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, went to vote Friday, a parade of cars, trucks and scooters rumbles by, day in and day out, right over a picture of an American flag painted on the blacktop road.

The message is unmistakable, that America is still the Great Satan, the enemy of the people of Iran, the nation vilified by the grandfather of this country's Islamic revolution, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, and to this day chided by today's supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

But Hamid Reza Solimaai is embarrassed by that flag on the ground. So are Sayed Reza Mirsani, Manochek Janshidi and Mohsen Malek Mohammadi. All work in shops on Samanegan Street, the road in East Tehran where the flag is painted, and all said they see that flag in the road as a relic of an era that has passed.

"The government has imposed this on people's minds, painting flags on the road," said Solimaai, who was working Monday in a closet-sized storefront repairing tires. "Almost all the people hate this."

"The people of the U.S. live like us," said Mohammadi, as he worked inside his film processing shop along Samanegan Street. "The politics are in the hands of politicians. Ordinary people cannot change this. I would love to go to the United States, not necessarily to live there, but to see how they live and how they feel about Iranians"

it looks like the clerics gonna have a hard time controlling over these Persians, no doubt relations will come back to normal and we have an embassy there, but until the politicians duke it out it wont be possible.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:42 PM
I've been wanting to buy a book called "Countdown to Crisis". I first saw on it when the author was interviewed by Jon Stewart. Very interesting, he points out that Persians aren't really anti-american as most believe.
Many flag burnings are stage by higher officals.

you can buy the book at amazon, barns and noble etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:19 PM
Oh sure they love America, they love that Americans have killed 100,000 Iraqi's and that America supports Israel, and that they have their sites set on Iran to cause mass destruction there like they are doing in Iraq..

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:37 PM

Originally posted by scatz
Oh sure they love America, they love that Americans have killed 100,000 Iraqi's and that America supports Israel, and that they have their sites set on Iran to cause mass destruction there like they are doing in Iraq..

What the hell are you talking about? If it's an attempt at sarcasm it's a poor attempt.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:03 PM
People do instictively like America - the movies & coke etc. especially if it's all new and exciting compared to domestic outputs. Initially American products are cheap / very heavily marketed and simply swamp domestic producers

People tend to get disillusioned when, after time, they realise 'Uncle Sam' is interfering in their democracy, using unfair WTO policies to protect markets at home and yet dump in / destroy foreign markets.

Familiarity breeds contempt - if Iranians aren't anti-US it may be due to the lack of exposure they've had to your true nature.

IIRC the Iraqis were fairly pro-US until they realised you were invading not liberating.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:21 PM
I know whats coming after this post so I am going to try to keep it short and sweet...

We are liberating iraq not invading, your watching the insurgency processes take place that makes it seem like were invading because there are more conflicts taking place.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:23 PM
I post ALOT about Iran. A lot of it negative postings about their government and desire to kill Americans. But I have no ill feelings towards the vast majority of Iranians themselves.

As a kid, before all that hostage nonsense, I had some great friends from Iran. The community I lived in had a very high Iranian population. They were wonderful people. I was about 7 at the time and the teenage Iranian boys would stop their whole soccer match just to let me come and "play" on one of their teams. They loved teaching me to play, even at the cost of their fun. I remember it to this day how nice they were to me.

But that doesn’t stop the hatred their current government has for me and my country.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:38 PM
I can't believe the government approves of this hate, shouldn't any country have the decency to promote peace. I can't say mine does )The united states) but at least were not taking another countries flag and burning it on the street shouting "Death to country X" promoting hate by any government is unacceptable and makes me really sad.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:09 PM

A very good article. From my point of view as an Iranian its exactly how I feel. I would like to get an American opinion.

new topics

top topics