It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diamonds: Long-Dead Sea Creatures? (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Scientists have discovered that some of the diamonds from the Jagersfontein mine in South Africa may have originally been formed from sea creatures long ago. These diamonds were formed at a depth of more than 300 miles down and contain carbon-12 isotope which suggests that they originally were created by the remains of living creatures.
Diamonds are created from carbon that has been put under incredible pressure and heat. The accepted theory for where this carbon came from was to have been primordial carbon that was forced inside the planet when the planet was first forming.

dsc.discovery.com
June 27, 2005— Diamonds formed in the deepest earth may be the remains of long-dead sea critters and might be evidence of the extreme depths to which Earth can bury its dead, and recycle their remains, say Canadian geologists.
Pressure-revealing minerals within some diamonds from the Jagersfontein mine in South Africa indicate that the carbon gemstones were pressed into existence from graphite at more than 300 miles down.
That's below the crust and into the Earth's deep mantle, far deeper than necessary to make diamonds, said diamond researcher Ralf Tappert of the University of Alberta in Edmonton.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To me, if this find is proven may actually push back the clock as to when life first appeared on the Earth. The article states that at some time in the distant past, the oceanic crust was somehow "pushed under much further than was previously thought possible, all the way into the actual mantle of the Earth.
Can't wait to go home and tell the wife that she maybe wearing a "fossil" of some long dead creature. I am sure that will put me into the doghouse

Edited to add picture of the diamonds

[edit on 27-6-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Fascinating.

I would of never imagined that the remains of a creature could become diamond.
I wonder if the value of these diamonds differ from others.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Good thing they're no longer around, or they'd be subjicated to a farm-raised purposeless life....

Then again, the ethical madness that has consumed diamond mining would be a thing of the past as a result....

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Not so surprising... since the organic componants of any living creature eventually turn to carbon.

Would you like to wear your dearly departed ancestors in the form of a diamond...
take their ashes to Lifegem, and 5 months and a few thousand dollars later...

out pops grandma diamond...

turn your relatives into diamonds..

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
That might work for most people but I'm sure they'd ship my mother-in-law back as a petrified turd.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Wow, that's amazing, i read an article a few months ago that said there turning dead loved ones into diamonds, now this. Well this is alot more interesting i admit, but that might explain why they do find diamonds on the bottom of oceans, rivers, lakes etc. hehe, now i have to tell my mom and sister about this one

top topics

join