It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultimate Equation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I was wondering about this, and I wanted to know everyones thought on the idea.
You know, there have been efforts underway for years, trying to find a unifying theory of the universe, that meshes all those conflicting "mini-theories". My idea was, what if there is no such thing? What if, for every level we go deeper, another level appears?

See: For example:
*First there were objects that we could see, feel, smell, etc.
*Someone said, what if ALL objects are made up of 4 substances: air, water, fire and earth.
*Next, someone said, what if all substances are made up of tiny indivisible particles called molecules.
*Next, someone said, what if these molecules are made up of combinations of tiny indivisible atoms
*etc. etc.

See, for every level we go down, there is another level beneath us. If we can suppose that time can be infinite, and space can be infinite, why can't science be infinite? It's perfectly logical.
Every single "level" is the resulting cause of a lower level. Assuming that nothing can come from nothing, and everything must have a cause, this would go on forever. The job of us, as humans, would be to continue searching on and on, uncovering each new layer.

Thoughts? Comments?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
that seems possible, even likely that no ultimate equation exists.
The constant speed of light may actually change over time.

but finding some general equation that closely aproximates the truth is far better than no equation at all.

Newton can still get you around the Solar system with no detectable error.

Im pretty sure their is an Einstein adaptation of Newton, but for most purposes that is superfluous.

It also could be that gravity, because it is independent of the Universe according to string theory, can not be combined in an Equation of the Universe.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
I was wondering about this, and I wanted to know everyones thought on the idea.
You know, there have been efforts underway for years, trying to find a unifying theory of the universe, that meshes all those conflicting "mini-theories". My idea was, what if there is no such thing? What if, for every level we go deeper, another level appears?

Mmmkay... we seem to be talking about two different things, here: philosophy and science. In science there will be boundaries -- such as here on Earth, at sea level, the speed that an object falls within our gravitational well is 32 feet/second/second (the 2nd "second" is not a typo). There is no "fine tuning" that will change that, and there's no deeper level.

[QUOTE]Every single "level" is the resulting cause of a lower level. Assuming that nothing can come from nothing, and everything must have a cause, this would go on forever. The job of us, as humans, would be to continue searching on and on, uncovering each new layer.

*MIGHT* be true on a physical level (subquarks and so forth) but not on a dynamic/energy level. There's a lot about the behaviors that we don't know, however.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
actually I have a theory (?) that there is a plane of just paths... basically, another existence. Take for example a photon particle... in the other plane would be it's path, which is actually what dictates how it acts and reacts with other particles. Some paths can collide and cross and others have a certain distance they need to go around other paths. It actually goes alot deeper than that, but that is pretty much the simplest explanation I can come up with. I haven't thought on it in awhile and am actually thinkin about writing a paper and giving it to a couple professors to see what they think... I may be just a quack, or I may not be... most likely someone like Kaku has already expounded on this, who knows. lol.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
whoops... incomplete thought...

what I was getting to (damn ADHD) is that maybe if we found something like a pathing plane, then we may come up with a whole new set of equations as to how stuff works... then later we find another plane that influences the pathing systems, and then another, etc...

That is what I think he was getting at, basically.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There was a very silly equation put forward by a physicist at the university of Kent, read about it here. Very silly equation

new topics

top topics

join