posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:43 PM
With the two shark attacks in the news I thought I should post this.
Each year there are on average 16 shark attacks and only 1 fatality every two years. However, people seem to fear the sharks more than anything else
even though your chances of getting bitten by a shark are less than your chances of getting struck by lightening.
The following stats are from the year 2002
- 6639 people died from falling around the house
- 5 people died because of fireworks
- 26 people died from being struck by another person
- 18 people died from dog bites
- 75 people died from bites from other mammals
- 13 people die from non-venomous insect bites
- 352 people drowned in their bathtubs
- 40 people die from hot tap water
- 76 people die from contact with venomous plants and animals
- 66 people died from lightning strikes
[edit on 27-6-2005 by BlackJackal]