It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google maps is worldwide!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Did everyone know that google maps is worldwide.

I just discovered this today when looking up Iraq.

When I tried this a week agoi it wasn't worldwide.

Sorry if you already knew.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I should have added the link.

This is the link for the Giza pyramids.

maps.google.com...,+egypt&ll=29.976196,31.126671&spn=0.021157,0.030813&t=k&hl=en

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Lanotom]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Awesome, you can like spy on North Korea

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey, that's awesome!

I know it was USA and Canada before, but worldwide is very cool.
I'm going to check this out

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I just checked it out...

They let you zoom all the way in on Baghdad, Beijing and Kabul, but you can't zoom in on Tehran, Damascus, or Pyongyang.

Hmm... kinda fishy, eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Another one... they won't let you zoom in on Riyahd, Saudia Arabia either. I'll keep checking other major capitals around the world, and let you know if I find anything else interesting.

EDIT- Add Darfur, Sudan, Seoul, South Korea, New Dehli, India, Beiruit, Lebanon, Jerusalem, Israel and Islamabad, Pakistan to that list of no-no's!

But zooming in all the way on Moscow, Russia and Tripoli, Libya is allowed!

Also... a rather large portion of Warsaw, Poland is blurred when you zoom in, and an even larger area around that is completely blocked out.

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Rasputin13]

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Rasputin13]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
maybe those countries make a deal with google to not zoom in on them hehehe...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
If anything, I would think they made a deal with the US government based on intelligence and National Security reasons. I doubt Google would approach all 160+ nations in the world seeking permission for zooming in on their land, as a majority would say no just out of fear of giving terrorists or rival nations who don't have satellite imagery access anykind of intelligence. I also don't think there is any legal ground for a nation to prevent a company like Google from using detailed satellite imagery of non-military installations and major cities. Just a hunch, though.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I just noticed an odd thing from looking in Washington, DC. It lets you zoom in entirely on the White House, but zooming in on the Capital Building and the entire Capital complex provides you with a blurred/pixilated image of all the structures. I guess all those hippies working over at Google don't care about protecting the President as much as they do about protecting their precious Hillary Clinton and Klansman Robert Byrd!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Anyone know the long, lat for Chernobyl. I can't seem to get anything but Kiev in Ukraine.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I notice that the north of England is a very poor image, wonder if it's because of Menwithill?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ummm.....what about HAARP???

jra

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I dont think the lack of high res images in some areas is done on purpose. I think it's just that they don't have the highres satillite imagery for every place. Area51 for example. In google maps, you can't zoom all the way, but if you do a regular image search, you can find some very high res images of it. Same goes for my town, it's not very big, but an even smaller town not far away has high res images of it.

Some areas, like in Washington DC are censored, but I think the lack of high res images is just because they don't have them yet.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And plus the fact the Google Maps is a service worked on by Google Employees as part of their own pet projects they get to work on 1 day of the work week, googles policy is you're allowed to work on your own projects for 20 % of the time your in the office which I don't think any other company allows. It's the type of thinking that will make Google into a huge force on the web in the coming decades.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Man, thats pretty cool, but a bit scary also, considering that if we can pick up almost any place on earth, what can government or whatever pick up???
I just zoomed right in on Paris and scanned over its famous long straight road, it was sweet!

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
i have look up HongKong
and i almost can not recognize where is,becasue the name of locality are all wrong spelling...

top topics

join