It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boffins create zombie dogs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This is really creepy. What happens to the animals or humans soul in these situations? Is it effectively recalled after the body is reanimated, could this answer the question of what lies beyond death?

By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
June 27, 2005

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.
US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.
The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.
But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

www.news.com.au...

ed to add link and shorten quote

[edit on 27-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
thats pretty cool and has alot of potential. this should be in science and technology!

a cool read.

hey, a good way to test out afterlife theories

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
sounds like a bad horror movie.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Prediction: 20-30years and we'll know for sure if there is an afterlife or not
If the dogs behave exactly the same it is almost proof that there's no such thing as a soul, it's all chemical....or is someone going to start up a "the soul gets torn from heaven and mercilessly stuffed back into the poor 'victim'" theory?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
hmmmmm great idea Not only would this be a great way of saving life on a battlefield etc, if this is possible to perform on humans, but maybe they could modify this to use for space travel for those long haul flights to other planets thats persumming the body wont age !

Still a little sceptical though!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Im pretty sure that they arent acting 'perfectly normal', since brain cells will definately have taken some damage, being without oxygen for ~3 hours. They MIGHT seem normal, but then again, how does a brain damaged dog behave? They act a lot on instinct, and not on free will.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Actually Thain, people have been revived after about 30 minutes of clinical death. This has been well documented, wait until winter and you will see one or 2 stories of children being revived after falling through thin ice while skating.
Hypothermia, slows the bodies functions to near the point of death. The body will naturally send blood / O2 up until the last moment to the major organs.
I do agree with you that I am highly skeptical that there has been no adverse affects from the proceedure. I for one know that is something major has happened to my dogs, they will avoid the same situation with the same fevor as someone who has been diagnoised with extreme phobia. An example, there is a bird's nest in my backyard, the parent birds have dive bombed my dogs twice. Now they do not want to go into the backyard at all and will cry when told to go out.
I love the pix that the story gives

Pretty scary eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Im pretty sure that they arent acting 'perfectly normal', since brain cells will definately have taken some damage, being without oxygen for ~3 hours. They MIGHT seem normal, but then again, how does a brain damaged dog behave? They act a lot on instinct, and not on free will.

You are right. Being oxygen deprived will cause brain damage. According to this, a human that is oxygen deprived will suffer brain damage. If they are not in a coma with 5 to 15 minutes of oxygen deprivation they will have brain damage.

www.braininjury.com...
go to number 11 for info

So this resuscitation procedure might not work as well for humans. But then again, this procedure is said to preserve the tissues and organs perfectly so who knows.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I thought about starting this in science/technology but I thought it was better suited here as my main interest in the article was it's effect on the soul.

If we take for granted the idea that humans do have immortal souls, what kind of effect would this procedure have upon it?

How long does it actually take for the soul to seperate from the body?
I know some cultures believe that the soul lingers, sometimes for days.

Would the soul be ripped back to the body from the afterlife once the body was revived?
Or would the soul be unreclaimable and so the body is a souless entity? Ugh, that's a creepy thought.

Kenshiro raises a good point with phobias too, Would the person remember their death and how haunting could that be?
A lot of people claim to have traumas from past lives, one would think that this would be a lot more severe as you are in the same body and time frame.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think that the key here is that the brains are clinically dead in a very cold environment. They're not at room temperature or Sahara temperature. That would minimize damage considerably.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Well ilandrah I can answer your question from personal experience.
Last August, I suffered from a severe epileptic series of seizures that lasted over 4 hours that they doctors have been able to measure. They ended up reviving not once but twice in a 24 hour period. After the last jump start, I was in a "terminal" coma for 2 1/2 days.
Woke up in time to watch a pre-season football game (go figure
my wife still berates me on this ) I have absolutely no memory of the time that I was out.
I lost a total of 3 1/2 days of my life. I do know though, I have not been able to come near the place where I lost conscienceness

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I believe that this "zombifying" is wrong. The human or animal that is brought back to life will have to live a half existence. Their soul is caught between life and death, while their body though revived, is still dead. How long would such a creature "live"? If forever then I don't want any part of this zombie mess.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gipper21

I agree- when we die we are meant to stay DEAD- this is just weird and creepy.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPwasere
hmmmmm great idea Not only would this be a great way of saving life on a battlefield etc, if this is possible to perform on humans, but maybe they could modify this to use for space travel for those long haul flights to other planets thats persumming the body wont age !

Still a little sceptical though!

hehehe and who is going to revive you?

unless it could be automated, which i cannot see being done very easy, or safely.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Who's to say the soul occupying the "zombie dog" is that body's original soul? Creatures are constantly being killed and born in this world. Assuming souls exist in the first place could this procedure be like a rebirth in which a new soul [fresh from the slab, so to speak] occupies an older body? Perhaps we are all recycled in this way. Or maybe I have an over-active imagination....

[edit on 27-6-2005 by FreeThinking1]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Do dogs own souls? is there really a doggie heaven? I have a feeling this wouldnt work on a human, maby our internal organs could be preserved, but our soul? our feelings? our memories?
im gunna have to see it to believe it

i suppose you never know maby Futurama got it right , one day the heads of leaders and our loved ones will live on in pickle jars!!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The point everyone is missing is that these dogs are suspended - they aren't killed. Their metabolic rate is slowed, their body stops consuming oxygen at the rate of a normally metabolically active dog.

It's a similar concept to the kid that falls in a frozen lake for 40 mins and comes out fine and un-braindamaged. Chill a body of an animal or human above freezing so the cells don't rupture and you have yourself your own mini cryogenics lab. Of course the dogs act the same after - they weren't left to rot, they were just on 'pause' a while.

Because these dogs aren't really dead and just suspended, why would their souls leave? Boredom? Were they too chilly?

That article was meant to get people worked up who are easily agitated by clever writing and the mention of 'zombies.' Funny that the zombie word gets thrown around the same week "Land of the Dead" opens up. People love zombies. The picture was hilarious.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Prediction: 20-30years and we'll know for sure if there is an afterlife or not
If the dogs behave exactly the same it is almost proof that there's no such thing as a soul, it's all chemical....or is someone going to start up a "the soul gets torn from heaven and mercilessly stuffed back into the poor 'victim'" theory?

I'll bite!

I don't think that there is any way using this technology to prove anything one way or another. If there is a soul, we certainly do not understand the mechanisms that bind it to a body.

It could be that the sould never fully departs until the body is DEAD DEAD DEAD, with no possibility of revival at all. It is even possible that the soul is not 100% released until the body is completely decayed.

And of course, yes it is possible that the the soul becomes "unbound" from the body during this temporary period of "death," only to be "re-bound" when the person is revived.

It would be nice to know one way or another if there is a soul/afterlife, but I'm not sure we ever will, at least in a scientific sense.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by misspickle

Originally posted by Gipper21

I agree- when we die we are meant to stay DEAD- this is just weird and creepy.

Hmm...so if somebody has a heart attack and their heart & brain stop for a bit, we should not try to revive them? After all, he was probably meant to stay dead. In fact, maybe we shouldn't try to help him while he;s still alive, since he's probably MEANT to die.

What *exactly* is the time period before it becomes "weird and creepy?" An hour? A minute? A milisecond? The first onset of chest pains?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Similar Experiment done in 1865; circulatory arrest:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The application of these principles resulted in the long-term survival of five animals with four survivors displaying no clinically detectable neurological abnormalities. However, two animals developed optic impairment and one animal died from intusseption on the fourth postoperative day. Despite the improved results, it should also be noted that during pilot (Group I) studies (from which the aforementioned principles were derived) fatalities from complications attributed to systemic edema, central nervous system, or pulmonary or coagulation dysfunctions occurred in 9 out of 12 trials.

[edit on 6/28/2005 by Logical_Psycho]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join